Thread: jamaica bugs???

Default jamaica bugs???

hello everyone
    i am in the process of planning a romantic getaway for my husband and i and im very excited about going to couples sans souci....however im wondering how bad are the bugs on the island???

You will need some bug spray for the evenings. Particularly on gala and beach party night. It really depends on the time of year and if you are particuarly prone to being bitten. We always pack some even if we don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_wife View Post
    hello everyone
    i am in the process of planning a romantic getaway for my husband and i and im very excited about going to couples sans souci....however im wondering how bad are the bugs on the island???
    ....Sand Fleas are a bitch!!

USMC_wife,

Bugs, what bugs? Only kidding...Do bring some form of "OFF" if you are prone to being bitten. The sand fleas, which usually come out later in the afternoon and mostly in the beach areas, can have a feast on you if you are. For me, without the bug spray (or wipes) my ankles look as if I had the Chicken Pox. They don't bother my wife half as much. As DandJ mentioned, at least at the beach party, you will need something.

We haven't experienced too many mosquito types, although, depending if you sleep on top of or under the covers, you can experience a bite here & there.

As for other bugs, the only ones that you may notice are these little tiny things that you may see on your counters. The place isn't "infested," they're just little things that look like micro-ants. They don't bite, they don't eat much and if I hadn't mentioned them, you probably wouldn't even know they're there.

Hoped this helped...OoooRah!

I can't speak for CSS, but we just returned from CTI and didn't use our bug spray once. Not even at Dunn's River Falls or while horseback riding. Which really surprised me, because mosquitoes LOVE me! I can't even walk our dog at the local park without getting eaten alive. But I only got bit once (on my foot) the entire week we were there.

I was even on the beach at night, taking time-lapse photos. Not a single sand flea bite! Really unexpected, but pleasantly so.

going back for our 5th time in May, never had a problem with bugs

thanks everyone

been there 4 times and bugs were never an issue

We just returned from CSA and we used bug repellent only once on the first evening. After that we more or less forgot about it and my wife got one skeeter bite and that was it.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

We think it's easy to bring the Off wipes. They're already wet and come in little packets that are easier to pack than spray, in my opinion. Bugs love me - in Jamaica and at home - but I wiped my legs and arms every night before going out for dinner or drinks and was never once bitten in Jamaica. Never did anything during the day and had no problems - the sand fleas only come out at night.

We were at CSS last month and was only on the beach for a short time one evening and the sand fleas ate me alive. I didn't realize it until the next day. I've dealt with mosquitos my whole life but have never experienced anything like these sand fleas. I had people tell me I look like I have chicken pox! I would strongly suggest using bug spray if you are prone to getting bitten, especially on the night of the beach party.

Sounds familiar, I got eaten pretty good at CSA beach party and didn`t realize until after. Can`t hurt to bring bug spray even if you don`t use it. They did sell off at the gift shop.

Quote Originally Posted by dawi View Post
    We were at CSS last month and was only on the beach for a short time one evening and the sand fleas ate me alive. I didn't realize it until the next day. I've dealt with mosquitoes my whole life but have never experienced anything like these sand fleas. I had people tell me I look like I have chicken pox! I would strongly suggest using bug spray if you are prone to getting bitten, especially on the night of the beach party.
    I also learned that putting Insect Repellent on just my legs wasn't enough. The Sand Fleas were a bitch!!

n127_1359.jpg (23.1 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's not a pretty picture, what is the best bug spray? Off, Repel, Deep Woods Off? How high of a concentration of DEET is needed to be effective? Is a mosquito spray effective on sand fleas?

wow!!!! we have pretty bad sand fleas where i live so im really not lookin forward to fighting them off on vacation too!!!! hopefuly it wont be too bad

I sympathize with you Acranger. That's what I look like, but on both legs, one arm and some on my back. We've been home 2 weeks and it's only just now starting to clear up!