Default The Shuttle Bus In To The Resorts

OK, I keep reading all these posts about how scared people are to ride in to the resorts on the shuttle bus or how bad the trip was and I am amazed. We have had five wonderful (but all different) rides into the resort on the shuttle bus. This last year (our 5th trip) was the best. We met five other couples on the bus and we hit it off immediately. We laughed the whole way to Couples. We spent the next seven days enjoying CN together and had the best time. We still keep in touch. Do any of you have good experiences or interesting stories of rides into the resorts?
    Mariann

I don't understand the scarey posts as the ride is anything but. We will be leaving for our 8th trip in 2 days and look forward to the ride. The only thing that sticks out is our 1st ride about a dozen years ago on the old road to CN. By the old single lane bridge (gone) were a bunch of locals hanging out. I had long hair at the time, er , actually still had hair and one of the guys came up to my window while we waited to cross the bridge. He banged on my window with this huge billy club and for a moment thought he was trying to rob us or something. I then realized it wasn't a club at all but the biggest tie-stick of ganja I ever saw. Nothing else ever happened on any other ride since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnmariann View Post
    OK, I keep reading all these posts about how scared people are to ride in to the resorts on the shuttle bus or how bad the trip was and I am amazed. We have had five wonderful (but all different) rides into the resort on the shuttle bus. This last year (our 5th trip) was the best. We met five other couples on the bus and we hit it off immediately. We laughed the whole way to Couples. We spent the next seven days enjoying CN together and had the best time. We still keep in touch. Do any of you have good experiences or interesting stories of rides into the resorts?
    Mariann
    We met some really good friends on our second bus trip. Ended up hanging out with them a few times during the week, and having dinner with them the last night we were at CSA. Exchanged emails the last evening, and then kept in contact afterward via facebook. We all decided to travel together last december for our 3 trip to CSA. Hung out with them all week, it was great.

This is usually the most (thankfully) uneventful portion of our journey. After the anticipation of arrival at MoBay, getting through I & C, and finally seeing the smiling faces of the Couples staff at the Lounge, relaxing on the bus is a great way to unwind for an hour or so before arrival.

Its always great to take in the views and click off the miles as we approach Negril.

I think folks think 3rd world when they think Jamaica... and to a significant extent, their right. But the tourist industry and JUTA do everything they can to suppress that vision from the moment you arrive at MoBay until you board your plane for departure. I suggest the alternative... enjoy the scenery, be aware of how Jamaicans exist day-to-day, and appreciate the strength and heart and soul of this wonderful country.

Relax and enjoy the ride!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Our shuttle ride was fine. We spent almost the entire time chatting with the couple seated in front of us, and later met up with them on the resort for the repeaters dinner and karaoke nights.

Our first trip to Jamaica over 10 years ago we were a bit freaked out about the driving, but we have gotten used to it and this past year I rode up front with the driver and talked to him the whole way. I think people just freak out because the driving is so different from our own.

We've always had a good time on the bus meeting folks and all of us talking about our excitement of the trip. One year we met two couples who we ended up hanging out with the rest of the trip.

If you pay attention to the driving you do see that there is a 'method to their madness' and how they drive really does make sense for the roads.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

The ride was way fun!! It is part of the experience of your vacation.
    Enjoy it!

our 5th visit coming on may 15th!! every time we go we buy a six pack of beer for the ride!!

We have never had a bad trip to CN. The last trip on the return, I wanted to strangle the guy sitting behind me, he wouldn't shut up about all he does. But that is a personal thing. We love the trip to CN from the airport. As you said, you meet a lot of nice people, you get to see some of the country and how the people live. We don't usually wonder off the resort once we are there, so I enjoy the ride. The last trip to CN was the first time we stopped on the way there. I had never really wanted to stop, just wanted to get to the resort, but I really enjoyed the stop. Last year was our 4th trip, and I wouldn't want to fly from MOBAY to CN. Every year things change.

We haven't had any real problems with the ride to the resorts. They have always been very interesting because of the "real" country that you get to see. The resorts are very sheltered from the rest of things, so I guess it makes you appreciate the fact that you get to have a great vacation even more. It also makes you realize how people in other places have to live which is often in very sad circumstances. The countryside is beautiful though, and we always enjoy the bus ride.

People in other countries drive differently. Expect that going in. Sure the drivers could be more careful but it's not gonna happen. Enjoy it and chalk it up as an experience. It's the same way in Mexico ad most other Carribbean countries. It's not just Couples. People love to complain and that's really all there is to it. I liked the drive to Negril because the country is beautiful and you get to see a lot of unique towns along the way. It should make you appreciate what you have. The only people who shouldn't like it are those who get carsick easily.

We had a good expierence as well on our trip to CN in september. Our driver talked to us most of the trip and let us know what we were seeing. We enjoyed it. The best is that we had the same driver for the way back so we heard it again, only backwards this time. It was still enjoyable. He stopped on the way back when I asked for a restroom brake as well.

One time, passing through Lucea on the way back to MBJ, our driver thought he saw an elderly woman who'd gone missing that week from another area in Hanover. She was his friend's mother and had wandered away after Church- and was in danger as she has Alzheimer's.

Since we were the only ones in the van, he asked if we'd mind turning back - which of course, we didn't - We showed him the video we'd been filming, and he looked closely and was 90% sure it was her....but by the time he turned around and went back to the spot, she was nowhere in sight- we drove back and forth a few more times, but never saw her again. He called his friend to let him know she was possibly in Lucea. We always wondered what became of her.

Hey John from Jersey- Now that is funny!

We leave on Sat and I look forwrd to the bus ride, of course I could do without it and just be at CSA right away but you get to see soo much of the island and the culture.

I look at the ride as the beginning of something special and the ride home sucks. That is the only complaint I have for the trip.

The only bad thing about our bus ride to CN was one of the other couples. Now let me preface this by saying my husband and I are covered in tattoo's, in our late 30's, from Detroit and usually looked at like we are going to be the trouble makers. So not true. The first problem is we had to wait for this guy and his wife for like 10 minutes at the airport. Guess what they were buying? It was her second trip, his first to Jamaica, both of them were from Jersey. Unfortunately he was what you think of when you hear Jersey...loud and obnoxious. He kept telling the driver to hurry up or he was going to drive. Then he made the most rude remarks about the conditions in which Jamaicans live. He was telling racial jokes to an African American couple and to top it all off he wanted to stop to use the restroom and what should have been a 5 minute stop turned into almost 15 while he smoked up. We saw him around the resort all week and referred to him as the ugly american. I guess he was bitching to everyone how below his standards he thought the resort was and then offered to sell people the crap he got at the airport.
    He didn't ruin our bus ride...just made it more of an eye rolling experience...

You know, the ride isn't that bad. We have taken the trip to Ocho Rios twice, and managed to pass the time drinking some beers, talking to other couples, and listening to the driver (one of them was very informative, the next year, not so much). The first year the driver was very safe, the second year the guy drove like a bat out of Hell. Also that second year we happened upon a fatality accident and the victim was layed out on the side of the road. I cried, and felt horrible for her family and the news they would get that day - very sobering, but a fact of life - accidents happen.

The end result of both trips: we arrived safely, and had enjoyable conversations with lots of nice people(thankfully no loud rude obnoxious peeps like hillystyles refers to!)

You're on vacation...it's all good, right??

There are two times I'll never forget. Once was when the bus had to slow down waiting for a totally naked elderly man who appeared to be rather high to decide which side of the road he wanted to cross to. We were on our way back to MBJ, so everyone had a good laugh, no problem, mon.
    The other time was another trip back to MBJ, and the driver already knew there would be huge delays due to construction and traffic (This was 2-3 years ago, and they've done a LOT of roadwork since then.). When traffic got tight, the driver found extra lanes in the median, on the shoulder, and it felt like he might have been swinging through the trees, too.

I forgot to add that without that extra effort, we would probably have all missed our flights.