Default Wedding Dress on Airplane

We are flying Continental and I am taking my wedding dress as my carry on. How likely will it be that I am able to hang my dress in the closet of the plane? I have two options- taking it in a garment bag that folds the dress all up into a bag with wheels or taking it in a garment bag that would hang nicely in a closet.

I've noticed that the airlines are very accommodating of bridal gowns in hang-up garment bags. I doubt they'd take a whole rash of bridesmaids dresses and tuxedos, though... there is only so much room in that 1st class closet.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Stacy,
    When we were married in Jamaica I carried my dress in a garment bag. We flew with a different airline but I imagine it would be similar.
    I was actually treated like royalty because of my dress. While waiting to check in at the airport the security guard took us to the front of the line since he noticed my dress. We were congratulated many times by airport and airline personnel. We had some connecting flights so we were in 4 different planes on our trip and every time the flight attendents immediately took my dress and hung in in the closet in the front of the plane - the trick is to remember to grab it at the end of the flight I did get sick of lugging the garment bag because it would drag on the ground if I did not hold it high.
    Hope this helps Have fun!
    Julie

Thanks for the replies. I'm so forgetful, I have been hoping I don't forget the dress on the plane, that would be horrible! 5 days til CN, and I can't wait!!

I am flying on US Airways and my fiance called the other day to ask about my wedding gown. They said they can not guarantee a spot in the 1st class closet so I am very nervous! If I keep it in a garment bag, and there's no room, are they just going to stuff it up in the overhead stowage??!! I leave on the 11th

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy&John View Post
    We are flying Continental and I am taking my wedding dress as my carry on. How likely will it be that I am able to hang my dress in the closet of the plane? I have two options- taking it in a garment bag that folds the dress all up into a bag with wheels or taking it in a garment bag that would hang nicely in a closet.
    .....I saw several brides on our plane, including my daughter, with their gowns in a "garment bag that would hang in a closet". These will be stored (laid out) in the overhead compartments.

I'm sure they will hang it up for you. It's probably their policy to tell you that over the phone. Congrats and no worries mon!!

I did leave mine on the plane-------not fun (make sure you set an alarm on your phone or something, so you remember to get it out of the closet)

The 2nd flight I held it myself.....I couldn't let it go again.

Quote Originally Posted by robandkara View Post
    I am flying on US Airways and my fiance called the other day to ask about my wedding gown. They said they can not guarantee a spot in the 1st class closet so I am very nervous! If I keep it in a garment bag, and there's no room, are they just going to stuff it up in the overhead stowage??!! I leave on the 11th
    ....I wouldn't count on it. There were 8 brides on our flight. All put their dress in the overhead.

What time of year are you traveling to Jamaica? If it is during the cooler months, the closets in first class will be filled with coats/jackets of people traveling in first class.

Most of the airlines do try to accommodate the brides, but if you're not flying first class, there's no guarantee that they will fit your gown in there.

I wouldn't count on anything! When I flew with my dress in a garment bag, I called before hand, also talked to the attendant at both desks. All said, no problem, they will hang it in first class for you. When I went to get on the plane, the stewardess absolutley refused, would not let me put it even in the overhead or hold it. She insisted it be checked at the side of the plane. They did this on all four planes I flew on with it.

We've been to Jamaica for our anniversary every year for the last 15 years and while I've seen many dresses placed in the closet I've also seen many in the overhead compartment. They do seem to take care to place them there neatly and they are on top of all the luggage, not jammed up on there with stuff on top of them or crumpled in a corner. But the airline was accurate in their statement that they cannot guarantee space in the closet.

I flew last year but my gown was simple. I put it in my carry on and had it pressed when I arrived. They did a wonderful job! Congratulations.

We are flying Delta next month for our wedding at CSA. I plan on calling them tomorrow and praying they will have a storage closet for me to hang my dress.I really don't want to stuff our wedding attire in an overhead bin :-(

Quote Originally Posted by shelspaur View Post
    I wouldn't count on anything! When I flew with my dress in a garment bag, I called before hand, also talked to the attendant at both desks. All said, no problem, they will hang it in first class for you. When I went to get on the plane, the stewardess absolutley refused, would not let me put it even in the overhead or hold it. She insisted it be checked at the side of the plane. They did this on all four planes I flew on with it.
    That was really rude. We flew Delta through Atlanta and they were at least 6 or 7 dresses hanging in the closet.

Jet Blue told me they have no captains closet so If there is room above then it can go there if not then on my lap : ) I love that response I hope the flighty attendants are a bit more nice I will also have a small suitcase that has all my wedding parties attire in it, I already plan to have everything steamed at the resort....Not going to sweat it : )