Default changing honeymoon to wedding?

So after some thought, we've decided that we might want to get married at CSA. We're already booked May 23 to May 29 as honeymooners. We were only going to have a small intimate ceremony at my parents house as we've both been married before...however, it's blown up into something we didn't want. Too many people wanting to come and too many expenses, etc. So we had almost decided on just going to the courthouse and doing it...but then my fiance suggested maybe just doing it at CSA.
    My question is: since we've already booked as a honeymoon package, can we change it to a wedding package? Is the marriage legal there or we would we still have to do a ceremony here to make it a legal marriage in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by aprila220 View Post
    . . . . Is the marriage legal there or we would we still have to do a ceremony here to make it a legal marriage in the US?
    The United States and every state therein recognize as legal and valid marriages performed in other countries, including Jamaica. If you are eligible to be legally married in Jamaica (e.g., you are both of marriageable age, neither of you is married to another, you are not close blood relatives, etc.), then your marriage will be valid in the U.S.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We're in the EXACT situation, except we're going to CTI in August. We decided to scrap our wedding plans, and just get married in Jamaica. We booked the trip as a honeymoon, but I was also wondering if there's any way to change it to a weddingmoon. Or is nothing required until we get there?

" Is the marriage legal there or we would we still have to do a ceremony here to make it a legal marriage in the US? "

It's legal there, and here. Thousands of people get married in Jamaica every year....

You will have to file the necessary paperwork with your State after it comes back from Kingston

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    . . . . You will have to file the necessary paperwork with your State after it comes back from Kingston
    No, you don't have to do anything. This misinformation is still floating around from a formerly incorrect FAQ, and it just won't go away. Please don't let it confuse you; it's wrong.

You can use your marriage certificate to change your name with the DMV and Social Security Office (assuming that you're going to change your name), but you have to do absolutely NOTHING for your marriage to be valid in this country. There is no state in the country (Believe me; I'm an attorney, and I did the research for Couples on this issue) that has a process for filing foreign marriage certificates, whether the foreign marriage is performed in another state or another country. My husband and I were married in Michigan; when we moved to New York, we didn't have to file our marriage certificate with Westchester County. Similarly, if you marry in Jamaica, you won't have to file your marriage certificate with any county in your state of residence.

Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Default wedding in jamaica

We were married in Jamaica in 1999, and yes it is legal. We were having the same dilema as you, wanting to have a small ceremony, but having to leave people out, etc. So we decided to just up and go to Jamaica. We have also been in 2 other destination Weddings, one in Jamaica, and the other in the Bahamas. IMHO that is the best way to go! Congratulations!

Hi April and Turtle!
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding(s)! I'm sure the resort would be more than happy to accommodate changing your honeymoon to a "weddingmoon". Just contact the resort and let them know. They require documentation (notarized copies of your birth certificates, drivers license, passports and divorce decrees)in their office 30 days prior to the ceremony. Also, you must be on the island 48 hours prior to the ceremony.
    My fiancee and I are pretty much in the same boat as you two are...second marriages and are getting married at CN June 23. Same deal...a wedding was too involved and complicated. But we will have a reception for family and friends when we return.

Best of luck you you!
    Leslie
    Tulsa, OK

I read the post about filing necessary paperwork after you return. I knew Pamela would correct. She's taken care of that over and over in the last few years I've been on here. We were married at CSA and didn't have to do anything when we returned to Louisiana (besides me changes DL and SS card).

"You can use your marriage certificate to change your name with the DMV and Social Security Office (assuming that you're going to change your name ."

That's what I was referring to.