Default supplies/gifts for older jamaicans

i noticed a lot of folks bring school supplies for kids and wondered if there is any need for supplies or gifts for older jamaicans that we could bring with us?
    are there nursing homes or senior centers or some type of care facilities for older adults who need help or do multigenerational families stay together?

My experience indicates the latter. There is a huge cultural and economic difference in the way that the elderly are cared for in Jamaica compared to the US.

I've only personally engaged with three elderly Jamaicans. One was Madame MacIntosh (Peter Tosh's mother), who was doing ok on the little farm plot she occupies. Another gentleman was well taken care of by generous, well to do folks he'd worked for. A third, RastaRalphie, known to many here, is a hard-working boatman and folk-musician who is probably destined to keep doing so for as long as he can. After that, who knows?

You raise a great point... I wish there were a mechanism for this... Couples?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

"are there nursing homes or senior centers or some type of care facilities for older adults who need help or do multigenerational families stay together?"

Skip, the Jamaican culture is very different in that respect. They do not put their elderly in a home....
    The Grandparents and Great Grandparents live at home with their families and help to raise the children...

To answer your question, you could bring the same things for the elderly that you would give here - colorful scarves, READING GLASSES !!!! , a beautiful umbrella, a nice wallet or purse, nice costume jewelry is very appreciated, Bibles, fragrances...
    Last edited by WandA; April 5th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.

My friend's Mother always asks for toilet paper. No kidding - toilet paper and Kleenex. The paper products in Jamaica aren't as soft as ours are in Canada.
    Really, I'm not joking.
    Karon

thanks for the responses. how wonderful to hear that families stay together.
    so i wonder if there is a need to bring things for older adults and if we do, is there a way to get things to some folks.
    maybe couples could be the mechanism as chris suggested.
    since we're leaving in 3 days in the early dark morning (which is the middle of the night to me, but all for a good reason which is more time at couples- can you tell i'm not a morning person.)i will try to talk to someome at couples when we are there.
    thank you for all the good suggestions.