Default Jewelry - Saltwater

Leaving on Tuesday, first time ever to CSS! SO SO excited!

I don't wear a lot of jewelry, just my wedding ring. Should I leave it at home? I'm worried about the saltwater.

Thanks!

The wedding ring shouldn't be a problem. Be careful if you have a "water resistant" watch though. Wore mine snorkling in the Bahamas a couple of years ago. Water seeped in and the battery literally exploded on my wrist several hours later!

If you bring it, I would not recommend wearing it to the beach. We've seen couples digging around in the sand every single trip due to a lost ring. If it gets in the sand, you won't find it without a metal detector.

I usually just weare my wedding band in the evenings. This year I'm leaving it all at home. We lost my husbands band on a trip a couple years ago (not even at the beach...Put it in a "safe" spot that apparently wasn't safe enough) and it KILLS me when I think about it. It wasn't an expensive ring, but it's the one he was married with and insurance can't get that back. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

i would advise leaving it in the room safe when going into the water. through the years we have seen several threads with folks losing their rings in the water.

Randy

Please leave your wedding rings at home. We saw someone lose their wedding ring either on the beach or in the water last week and it ruined their day. I just have an inexpensive gold band I wear on vacation.

No, wear it but leave it in the room Safe. We have seen and heard TOO many stories of rings falling off.....

It depends on what your ring is made of. Platinum you should be ok, any thing that is alloyed like gold or white gold MAY tarnish. I know as soon as I say this everyone will say"I always wear my ring and never take them off and never had any problems", but if you are concerned, dont wear it. =) I work in jewelry and have seen many pieces of jewelry ruined on vacation not just fron the pool or ocean, but the sunscreen as well. I leave all my jewelry at home, including my wedding rings which are platinum, and opt for a simple silver band that I dont care if it gets ruined. Have a great trip!

Do NOT wear your rings during the day, in or around the water, pool or beach. On EVERY trip to Couples, we have seen at LEAST ONE person lose his/her wedding ring and only one time has it been recovered. We've seen people lose them while they are in the ocean, while they are walking along the shore...we even saw one girl lose her ring as she laid on a beach chair. On one trip we saw a newlywed jump into the ocean fully clothed (they were taking a stroll before dinner) frantically searching and crying because her husband's new band had fallen in the water. It was never found. But bless her heart, she was so upset and inconsolable for several hours and I know it really put a damper on their honeymoon.

The sun, sand, water, oil and sweat can all change how your ring fits. No matter how tight it is, or if you wrap it with tape or bandaids (yes, we've seen people do this), keep them in the safe during the day and only wear them at night.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Just leave it in the safe during the day time.

I have always worn my wedding ring on vacations. I have never had a problem with it slipping off as it has always taken some effort to get it off of my chubby finger. That said, I have been on a weight loss mission for our trip in June, I have not lost a great deal of weight, but the other day I was showering and my wedding ring fell off my finger in the shower. In thirty years my ring has never slipped off my finger in any circumstance. So, a note to those on weight loss programs for vacation. You might want to leave the rings in the safe or at home when going to the beach. It could happen.

I suppose all my working out is finally paying off?

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin76 View Post
    Leaving on Tuesday, first time ever to CSS! SO SO excited!

I don't wear a lot of jewelry, just my wedding ring. Should I leave it at home? I'm worried about the saltwater.

Thanks!
    ....I'd leave all jewelry in the room safe during "Beach Times". Losing a good ring in the ocean is never good.

I second all the statements of leaving the jewelry in the safe during daytime hours. In years past, I wore my wedding band 24/7, even while diving, but those were in the days when it took a miracle for it to come off. 40 pounds lighter, I don't want to tempt fate, so this year, the ring will stay in the safe with my wife's until dinner time.

Amy, I totally remember that last example, what an interesting afternoon. I think it was the same day as another lady taking a face-plant.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    I have always worn my wedding ring on vacations. I have never had a problem with it slipping off as it has always taken some effort to get it off of my chubby finger. That said, I have been on a weight loss mission for our trip in June, I have not lost a great deal of weight, but the other day I was showering and my wedding ring fell off my finger in the shower. In thirty years my ring has never slipped off my finger in any circumstance. So, a note to those on weight loss programs for vacation. You might want to leave the rings in the safe or at home when going to the beach. It could happen.

I suppose all my working out is finally paying off?
    .....Water or tanning oil will easily cause a ring to fall off at inopportune times. Water AND Oil make for a bad combination.

In addition to the concerns about losing your jewelry, it is also important to consider your jewelry's integrity. Here are a few lesser known facts about jewelry maintenance that you should keep in mind:
    • The chlorine in the pool will eat away at metals (for example: the alloys in gold or white gold)
    • The chemicals in your sunscreen may discolor certain metals and gems.
    • Sand can damage softer gemstones.
    • Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause gemstones to fade.

Well, I'm very excited to get to the ocean again and one of the reasons: my wedding ring gets so clean, shiny and sparkly everytime I swim! Definitely not a chemical-fake water pool swimmer so can't vouch for that but I LOVE the way the ocean cleans my diamond!