Default For all you carry on travelers

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63540720100406

Spirit airlines is now going to charge for using the overhead bins.

A good reminder to all, as long as Spirit Airlines charges for using the overhead bins, don't consider using them.

Please be aware - other airlines are watching reaction to this very closely. If you are at all angry about Spirit's move, make your voice heard so that the other carriers don't follow suit!!

What this article doesn't mention is that they reduced the base fares so in essence you are still paying the same with a carryon. The fee also doesn't apply to stuff that fits under the seat in front of you.
    I think this is a great idea. I definitely understand charging for the carryon more than I do the checked bags. By charging for the checked ones, more people try to shove everything into a carryon to avoid the charge and thus slow down the loading of the plane. There is nothing more annoying than sitting on a plane while people try to lift their overstuffed rollerboards into the overhead bin, followed by a shopping bag, followed by the biggest purse you can imagine. I would ideally like them not to charge for checked bags instead of lowering the base price of the ticket, but I can't have everything.

I am a carryon-only traveler for the most part so this will affect me as I would probably pay for a carryon, mainly for the convenience of not getting my luggage delayed. Still like the new fee though, since I now have a choice of what I want to pay for. It will be nice to have room in the overhead bin and a speedy loading of the plane.

This is a big reason why we have stopped flying Spirit. The fact that they charge you to select seats (and fly with your small children.) and for all bags and for this and for that.... their prices are now higher than other carriers. So much for discount airline.

Carryon baggage should be policed at the boarding gate, this would eliminate 99% of the problems. Of course that would require more employees which the airlines aren't going to do.

If everyone followed the rules there wouldn't be a problem. But that's not going to happen either. Too many people in the world feel that they are entitled.

Luggage delays? In 35 years of flying I've experienced lost bags on only three occasions. Normally, bags are at the carousels at my destinations within 5 or 10 minutes of deplaning, and often times they are waiting when I get to the claim area.

As for these rediculous fees, the market is going to have to decide for the airlines which revenue "sidestreams" they can or cannot exploit. As consumers, its important that we account for all these fees in the cost of travel. Remember... these fees are "oneway"... not "one time". If you pay $25 for a checked bag, double it. If you pay $20 for a carryon, double it. (You ARE coming back home, right?) NOW tell me... is your airline's fare decreased enough to compensate? I doubt it.

Time will tell. And speaking of time, perhaps its time that the tourism industry (are you listening Couples?) begin to lobby the airlines to back off a bit because sooner or later, the incoming planes are going to become less crowded. Think about it... the airfare for us to come from the US to Jamaica is starting to become roughly one-quarter to one-third of the cost of our vacation. Now THERE'S some food for thought!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    Carryon baggage should be policed at the boarding gate, this would eliminate 99% of the problems. Of course that would require more employees which the airlines aren't going to do.

If everyone followed the rules there wouldn't be a problem. But that's not going to happen either. Too many people in the world feel that they are entitled.
    Great post, ORV!

While I also agree with ORV, I have to say RIGHT ON to Ivgal! One thing that's always bothered me to no end (even before the liquid restrictions and charges for checked baggage) is how the flight attendants have to go up and down the plane for a good half hour trying to find space for everybody's maximum-allowable-sized carryon. Being short, I usually put my things in front of me, but there have been many times when I've put my overcoat or winter coat in an overheat only to have somebody dump a heavy, dirty suitcase on it without a thought.

And coming home internationally, especially from a resort destination, can be an even bigger/longer problem when you have all the duty-free bags to fit.

I completely agree that it always made no sense that the airlines started charging for the first checked bag and not for a carryon when that carryon is clearly a suitcase or garmet bag, etc... If it were up to me, I'd make the first checked bag free, charge maybe $25 for the second checked bag and maybe $50 for an overhead carryon.

They did a blip on the news about this today and it seems there are some twists to the story. They have dropped fares considerably and are even offering some sort of special "pass" you can buy to get them even cheaper, sort of like a membership card. They claim that if you do the math even with the fees the fares still end up cheaper than other airlines and their ticket sales are up 50% since they implemented this system. I suppose it depends on what type of customer you are whether this benefits you or not? I do agree with the statements about needing to get control of the carry-on mess though, one way or another.

My husband and I flew in February. Our carry on luggage has been all over the world.

On the flight back from Hawaii they made us check our carry on bags, saying it was to big. They did this at the gate. We had no choice, it didn't fit in the little medal bin.

The gentleman who took our bags said that because there has been such an increase in the amount of carry on luggage that they have to get some of it checked so they have room in the overhead bins.

We were just a few of the lucky ones to get chosen.

Beware.... I am buying smaller luggage so I don't run into this problem again.

And if you thought that fee was ridiculous, how about this one:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

it's not a hoax. It's true. I think that's next for Spirit.

Vee -

I seem to recall seeing that RyanAir was considering this for a while... talk about a revenue sidestream!...

Think the Irish will put up with this crap? (pun intended...)
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

What annoys me is this is because people are too cheap to pay to check their bags on that airline and now the people who do pay will have to pay for their carry on's. A couple of years ago we flew from FL to MBJ after my husband did an Ironman Triathlon. We paid extra to have an exit seat so he could stretch his legs and we paid to check our luggage. Because everyone else wanted to bring their bags onboard he ended up having to put his hand luggage under the seat in front so we totally wasted our money and he had no room. Soon they will expect uis to fly only with the clothes on our backs!

Quote Originally Posted by dandj View Post
    What annoys me is this is because people are too cheap to pay to check their bags on that airline and now the people who do pay will have to pay for their carry on's. A couple of years ago we flew from FL to MBJ after my husband did an Ironman Triathlon. We paid extra to have an exit seat so he could stretch his legs and we paid to check our luggage. Because everyone else wanted to bring their bags onboard he ended up having to put his hand luggage under the seat in front so we totally wasted our money and he had no room. Soon they will expect uis to fly only with the clothes on our backs!
    DH is 6'8". On our last flight to Dallas, we paid to check our bags, so he came on only with a laptop case, and I only had my purse. I put my purse under the seat in front of me ::cough:: control freak ::cough::, and DH put his laptop case in the overhead bin. There were too many people with carry-ons and the flight attendance asked him to put the laptop case under the seat in front of him. Um.... that's where his FEET go. He respectfully declined stating that that WAS his carry-on, and it was staying in the overhead bin. (He was very polite and nice, but also very firm.) What was she gonna do?? His laptop stayed where it was.

But this is truly an example of the airlines being penny-wise and pound-foolish. If they just charged everyone $10 more for their tickets, we could all check ONE bag, and it would make getting on and off the airplane so much easier.

Thank GOD Southwest is going to start Caribbean flights soon. (Hopefully....)

I'm OK w/ paying for checked luggage. Several people are involved w/ moving my luggage throughout the course of my round-trip flights. And, they have to pay those employees somehow. So, ok, I can deal w/ paying for checked stuff.

But.......for my own carry-on, I'm doing all the work; not one employee is touching my carry-on; so....why do I have to pay the airline, so that I can do all the work ??

ARGH, Don't even get me started on this one!

We flew Spirit to Cancun last April, I was upset about being charged for a checked bag internationally, then we were charged to select our seats in advance for each leg of the trip! It was ridiculous, not even water was free on that flight let alone a soft drink... Nickle and dime you is an understatement. Then on top of all of that, our so called early morning flight into Cancun was delayed 2 hours from Detroit because of a no show flight attendant, and our return flight from Cancun sat on the ground at noon in Cancun (do I need to mention how hot it is at that time) with no air because of mechanical difficulties, for an hour!!! We literally had to RUN through customs and baggage claim in Ft. Lauderdale to catch a plane they were holding for us because of their delays, to make that flight late, we were getting glared at by every passenger as we boarded the plane, my husband carrying his shoes because we ran through the terminal while they were paging us with our names as last call. It was a very expensive and stressful experience. NEVER AGAIN, Now this!

Airlines need to bury costs, period, they don't need to make us as customers feel they are nickel and diming us to death. It quite frankly just ticks me off.

Ok, I feel better now........lol

Is it really true that Southwest is going to start servicing the Caribbean? That would be great news. I would love to give them all my business, and would fly them exclusively if they went to Jamaica!

I don't understand why people need so much stuff on the plane with them in the 1st place. No matter where you are flying too and how long, why do you need 2, 3 and 4 bags with you all at once. It scare the heck out of me when I see people stuffing those overhead bins with the excessive bags, its ridiculous. Of course children, and people with disabilities, and maybe other circumstances may need an additional bag or two, but give me a break.

I learned this lesson the hard way, and I have cut back a great deal. I found the perfect to small bags to carry with me no matter how long my flight is, and the best part, they both fit under my seat, no need to use the over head bin.

I believe the other airlines will follow suit at some point.

I think the first checked bag should be free on all flights.

As for carry one bags, it has gotten out of hand with what people are bringing on the plane not pay for checked bags. What was the airline industry thinking? I wish they would in force the rules and make the carry on size smaller and the cabin would be a lot nicer. This would speed up the scanning line and the whole trip. If people must bring a big bag on the plane, then it is fair for them to pay, it is a real service, unlike one checked bag that should be free and included in the cost of the ticket.

Charging for the first checked bag is also bringing items in to the cabin that should not be in cabin. Safety first, one free checked bag.
    Irie Mon