Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Mendy View Post
    Flights have definitely gone up here in Wichita. For our trip in January 2009, we paid $400 pp. In November 2009 it went to $550 pp. We just purchased for November 2010 and it was $750 pp :-( All tickets were purchased the April before the trip. It's to the point where the flight is a HUGE factor in the price of the vacation and whether we can continue to go or not.
    The price of the flight was the main reason why we are able to go in May. In October 2008 we paid almost $600/pp. Our flight for May was $371/pp!!!

Quote Originally Posted by janiceklein View Post
    Lindsi8: When you stayed at CSS in November in the past, did it rain every afternoon, and if so, for how long. We were at CSA over thanksgiving and it rained practically the whole afternoons. Wasn't sure if it varied between resorts. Thanks.
    ....Interesting. We were at CN over this past Thanksgiving, and it only rained Friday night late.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWGFAN View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to wait it out. I don't expect to get $250 a ticket( I know that will never happen again). I did not book tickets last year unitl June so I think I still have time. We are flying in on a Tuesday and flying out on a Wednesday. Normally the slowest days.

I would love to drive to Memphis and take that flight, but my husband said only as a last resort. He is not a morning person.
    We have always flown out of Little Rock before but are going to leave from Memphis in August. I had been watching prices for several months and was about to just go ahead and book the tickets when I decided to check Memphis. In the past years prices were comparable, but this year I saved over $200 per person. Also, we are flying Delta / Northwest and it is a direct flight to MBJ. Around a 3 hour flight as opposed to 6+ hours of flight and layover..... and still get there at the same time.

As far as the morning drive, we are driving over the night before and getting a hotel. $60 bucks for a hotel or $400 extra for a plane ticket ............

Where are you from in Arkansas ???? We live outside Searcy.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

markandjannett:

If you're going to book a room for the night before, take a look to see what hotels in the area might have a "park/sleep/fly" deal, where they'll keep your car at the hotel lot and send you to and from the airport on their shuttle. You might find that a good deal as well.

We're doing that (although it's called a "reverse sleep and fly" because we're doing it on the return); the hotel and parking combo was actually cheaper than parking it at the airport (with no hotel)!

Yesterday on my way home there was an interview on the radio with a travel agent about summer vacationing and interestingly enough the conversation came around to air fares. The travel agent stated what my travel had told us, that fares are rising and will continue to do so because of the decreased number of flights as compared to even last summer with airlines cutting flights and airlines buying other airlines (i.e. Delta/Northwest). It's the old supply and demand thing, airlines used to cut fares to "beg" people to fly in order to fill up their planes. Now they don't have to because with fewer planes in the air they are full without cheap fares.

Quote Originally Posted by jagorham View Post
    markandjannett:

If you're going to book a room for the night before, take a look to see what hotels in the area might have a "park/sleep/fly" deal, where they'll keep your car at the hotel lot and send you to and from the airport on their shuttle. You might find that a good deal as well.

We're doing that (although it's called a "reverse sleep and fly" because we're doing it on the return); the hotel and parking combo was actually cheaper than parking it at the airport (with no hotel)!
    http://www.parksleepfly.com/

We have had good luck with this with hotels around O'Hare....~$100 for one night sleeping and up to 2 weeks parking at a very nice hotel (with covered parking!). It has been a great start to vacation.

markandjannett,

Did you book that flight on your own or through a travel agent? Not to make you panic but just want to give you a piece of advise, watch that flight often. There have been several mentions on this board of Delta cancelling flights without notifying passengers. We have always used Northwest in the past to get to Jamaica and I figured we would do the same this year (use Delta). When I contacted my travel agent to book the trip I mentioned this to her and she said they are doing it on the old Northwest routes which is what that flight out of Memphis is, they let people book but many of them are ultimately being cancelled. If you book with a travel agent you get notified, not sure if Delta notifies them or they just do a better job watching flights and are more aware of what's going on. But it's the people who book on their own that don't know and find out last minute such as when they go to check in 24 hours prior and then there aren't many options for finding another flight. We opted for another airline even though we had enough frequent flier miles for a free ticket, just didn't want to chance it. I'll see how things are going next year. I'd say don't panic just keep your eye on that flight and stay in contact with Delta, especially as your trip draws closer.

I hope the pic shows up. Just a little something to make a Hawgfan smile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We just booked Thursday (CTI 2-15 thru 3-1-11)and got a round-trip, non-stop on Delta from Detroit to MBJ for $445 each. Last year, we paid $440 each and had to layover in Memphis on the way there. If you only paid $250 last year, you really hit the jackpot! Also of note, Delta allows you 2 free checked bags per person with a 50 lb. weight restriction. Don't forget to consider fees for checked bags and remember beginning in August, I think, Spirit will be charging between $30 - $45 for carry-on stored in the overhead bin. I'm pretty sure if you can stuff it under the seat in front of you, it will go for free.

We might try to fly out of baton rouge next time since us air is here now. I love the Charlotte connections because I've never had problems there compared to Houston or Miami. The parking at the airport in new Orleans is ridiculous too.

Where in baton rouge do you live? We live by LSU now but will be moving to Denham soon.

We flew Continental out of Newark on Jan 30 and paid $298 round trip. We usually use our miles but the price was good so we paid. I guess things have changed dramatically. My big complaint is that Continental now only flies into Jamaica on Sat and Sun. Really limits planning.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    markandjannett,

Did you book that flight on your own or through a travel agent? Not to make you panic but just want to give you a piece of advise, watch that flight often. There have been several mentions on this board of Delta cancelling flights without notifying passengers. We have always used Northwest in the past to get to Jamaica and I figured we would do the same this year (use Delta). When I contacted my travel agent to book the trip I mentioned this to her and she said they are doing it on the old Northwest routes which is what that flight out of Memphis is, they let people book but many of them are ultimately being cancelled. If you book with a travel agent you get notified, not sure if Delta notifies them or they just do a better job watching flights and are more aware of what's going on. But it's the people who book on their own that don't know and find out last minute such as when they go to check in 24 hours prior and then there aren't many options for finding another flight. We opted for another airline even though we had enough frequent flier miles for a free ticket, just didn't want to chance it. I'll see how things are going next year. I'd say don't panic just keep your eye on that flight and stay in contact with Delta, especially as your trip draws closer.
    Sherrynchuck,
    Yeah, I check every few days just to make sure. From the posts I have read, about the only flights not being changed are the Saturday flights like we have. We actually booked through Orbitz.com and have been notified of several flight number changes, but the actual flights have stayed the same. But as I said, I am kinda paranoid about checking up on the status after an issue we had with Continental a couple years ago. About a week before the trip, our connecting flights outbound and returning were changed to have us connecting on the days BEFORE we left on each flight. Had a helluva time trying to make them understand it would not work..... finally had to change departures and arrivals with both airline and Couples.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

To Mark:
    We live in Little Rock 15 minutes from the airport. Its nice to have that cab pick you up at 4 in the morning and not have to worry about driving and picking you up at midnight when you get home. I still trying to talk my husband into going to Memphis the night before.

[QUOTE=jagorham;66340]markandjannett:

QUOTE]

....I have done this with vacation flights, and before cruises. What I save airport or Cruise Ship parking ,more than pays for the motel night. Even if the motel does allow you to park, but has no shuttle (ask), the worse will be a few dollars for a taxi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2