Default Medicine in Labeled Prescription Bottles

My husband and I and another couples returned from a wonderful visit to CSA on 3/29/10. The interval between the flights down and back was great but there were some issues with the airlines.

We were due to fly BWI to Charlotte to Montego Bay on US Air, leaving at 8:40 am on 3/19. We checked in online 24 hours beforehand as did our friends. They come to our house and spend the night before we leave with us as we live closer to BWI.
    At 4:30 on the 18th, I receive an email telling us that the BWI to CLT flight has been cancelled "for maintenance". The email had been sent at 4:22 pm. My husband immediately called the 800 # and after about 20 minutes was able to get us booked on a flight to Philly and then to MB. WHEW!

Coming home, we went through security at MB with no problem. When we went up to the gate, after handing over our boarding passes, we were subjected to a very intense security screening. This involved virutally all of the passengers boarding that plane. We were patted down and everything was questioned. My husband had his car keys in his pocket and they were rather suspicious of that. I carry all my medicine in my carry on and the bottles were taken out and looked at carefully. At that point, she made me produce my boarding pass stub again and checked the name on the bottles against the name on the stub. My husband tried to wait for me off to the side but they insisted that he board the plane.

Thankfully, there were no red flags and I was permitted to board. I was worried that he would be flying home without me.
    Now my husband and I are 62 and 60 and I don't think we look suspicious. But I wanted people to be aware to keep your medicine in their original bottles. There may have been some extra security needed for some reason as this has never happended in our 5 previous trips to Jamaica

Upon arriving in Charlotte, it took well over an hour to clear immigration and recheck our bags. We had had 1 /1/2 hours but ended up missing our flight to BWI. They rebooked us on another flight 2 hours later, which ended up taking off 90 minutes late.

However, CSA was SO wonderful, again, that we were willing to put up with the airline hassle.

11 months till we come home to CSA.

The extra checks began after the shoe bomber at Christmas. They never allow the partner to hang around and wait at MBJ. This has happened to us twice and it's a bit worrying when your husband has your passport and they make you get on the plane. I now make sure I have it on me, just incase.

Thanks for the warning. I usually travel with my prescription bottles when it comes to my pain pills, but my everyday medicine I have in the pill sorter boxes, you know the ones marked by the day of the week and I always bring a few extra just in case we get stuck somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I trust no problems with a prescription asthma spray, yes?
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Thanks for the information. I'm diabetic and use insulin. The bottles don't carry the patient's name, so I guess I'll have to remember to save the box and take that with me when we travel. I absolutely appreciate, and want to feel safe when I fly, but don't you hate how we've allow a minority of individuals to make it so difficult for the majority of the population?

Thanks so much for the heads up, Ruthann! I was just asking some friends, last night, on their opinion on this very subject. I was worried that multiple pill bottles may be a nuisance. However, after reading your post, I believe being detained in an airport, in another country (possibly without my husband) might pose a much bigger issue.

We'll be in Jamaica in 9 days! YES! Finally, single digits!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    I trust no problems with a prescription asthma spray, yes?

I travel with my pump all the time. I just put it the ziploc bag with the other stuff.

Interestingly enough, they never looked INSIDE the bottles. And even if they had, would they know an antibiotic from a diuretic from a antihypertensive? As a nurse, I know they wouldn't. But they were more interested in seeing my name on the bottles. I also carry OTC meds like Benadryl {I'm prepared for anything when I travel} but they never looked at that stuff. And Coloradojuli, I also had a 1 week pill box but that escaped their attention. I won't be carrying my everyday meds like that any longer when traveling internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by r&cford View Post
    I travel with my pump all the time. I just put it the ziploc bag with the other stuff.
    Thanks, makes it a bit more reassuring. I'm lucky that I hardly ever have use for my spray, but it's nice to have it right there if/when needed.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Default Geeze

Quote Originally Posted by nguc54t View Post
    Thanks for the information. I'm diabetic and use insulin. The bottles don't carry the patient's name, so I guess I'll have to remember to save the box and take that with me when we travel. I absolutely appreciate, and want to feel safe when I fly, but don't you hate how we've allow a minority of individuals to make it so difficult for the majority of the population?

I take ADD medication (basically methamphetamines)...I wonder if those will be an issue????

I believe this Christmas was the "panty bomber," as I've dubbed him, since he had the weapon concealed in, well, his panties.

I have a blood problem so I have to have my meds thanks so much for the tip. I trust that if you leave it in the original bottle that you wont need a copy of your script?

I think a little common sense will help alot here. even thoug it may be a pain to take the regular bottles (I take 5 different meds) it really is not that difficult or even that big of an inconvience. However having another person from a different country questioning why you have different pills in one pill container is by far worse a predicament..

We always take our medications and supplements in the daily pillbox things. What I do take, however, is the paperwork from the pharmacy telling your personal information along with the prescription and the description of the medication. Really though, by the time we come home, it's empty.

I’m diabetic also. A TSA agant told me to always take out my medications from my carryon when going through screening. I keep all my insulin in a special medical bag and my scripts in a zip lock bag. Keep the insulin box where the prescription data is attached. You should get along fine as long as you don’t act like you are trying to hide anything.