Default Duty Free Bags and airlines

We are returning to CN 4/17 - 4/25 via USA3000 airlines. I'm planning on buying some Appleton's at the airport. In the past we have purchased and then just transferred into our carry-ons. Anone know if you can have a carry-on AND an duty free container?

Thanks.

We always come back with rum from the airport. They will pack it for you. We've taken it on board with one other carry on before and it hasn't been a problem. If you have a connecting flight in the USA, you'll need to put it in your checked luggage. That's the only problem, leaving enough room!

we have a connecting flight in Miami after leaving MB, and if what you say is true about having to pack our booze in our checked luggage, that means I won't be able to purchase it at the airport like I have done in the past, correct? Because I would have already checked my bags before we get to the airport shops. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by IrieDreaming View Post
    we have a connecting flight in Miami after leaving MB, and if what you say is true about having to pack our booze in our checked luggage, that means I won't be able to purchase it at the airport like I have done in the past, correct? Because I would have already checked my bags before we get to the airport shops. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?
    After clearing immigration and customs in Miami you are required to claim and recheck your bags. It's at this point you'll put any liquids in your checked baggage. (Fortunately they aren't re-weighed, so don't worry about going over the allowed weight.) This is very important because you'll have to pass through security again before going to your gate for your next flight. Any liquids (not meeting the 3-1-1 rule) will be confiscated.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

You can still purchase it. You carry it on the plane in MBJ and once you get in Miami, you'll need to put it in your checked bags. Last time we were there, we made sure we left enough room in the bags we were checking in at MBJ. Once we got through immigration in ATL, we got our bags and put the rum cream in them.

When you land in Miami which is your first stop in the US, you will have to clear Immigration/Customs. Then you will reclaim your bags and have to recheck them for your connecting flight home. When you reclaim your bags, that is when you will pack the alcohol in your checked luggage. Non stop flights are so much better but getting more difficult for us to find.

You can still buy it afterward and carry it on to the plane in Jamaica. Once in Miami you have to retrieve your checked baggage and re-check it once you get through immigration and customs. At the point in time when you retrieve your luggage to re-check it you will need to put the rum in it.

What we've done in the past is leave some room in checked baggage and bring bubble wrap, or similar, for wrapping bottles. Check your bags in MBJ at the ticket counter as usual, buy what you need from duty free and bring that on with your carry-on luggage. After you land in the US, clear immigration, retrieve your checked bag and put your bubble-wrapped duty free in before putting it on the luggage belt for your final destination.

Note MIA is a bit different from most other international airports in that, after you clear immigration, grab your checked luggage, and clear customs, you actually are directed to an area outside of security. Meaning you are in the same area as people who walk in off the street and are re-screened with all of the other ticketed passengers. (in most airports you are still within the secured area after clearing customs). We were just there 2 weeks ago and they were adding a new area but that was still the process. So in MIA in particular, you'd want to have room to put your duty-free, properly wrapped, into your checked baggage. I would think MIA would have a procedure for dealing with duty-free, given it is a major hub for international, but they didn't when we were there (then again it was 3AM).

I should clarify; My wife and I each have one checked bag and one carryon. We fly nonstop from MB to Chicago.

Ok... here is the drill...

AFTER clearing security at MoBay, you may purchase liquids (perfumes, alcoholic spirits, etc.) AND you may carry them on to the airplane... the shops will pack them for you per regulations.

AFTER you clear immigration at Miami (or wherever your port of entry might be), you will pick up your checked bags. THAT is when you will have to pack your booty into the checked baggage prior to clearing customs and placing them back onto the appropriate conveyor.

I hope that makes sense...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

IreDreaming~ You will be able to take it on your flight from MBJ to Miami, but once you go through customs in Miami you will need to pack your liquor in your checked luggage.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

When you come in through immigration, you collect your bags before heading to customs. That is when you would have to pack your liquor.

thanks everyone!! We will be bringing some bubble wrap and large ziplocks with us to secure our precious rum cream when repacking in Miami. thanks again for all the great information and tips!!

what is the procedure if you buy rum cream @ couples?

Ayslinn -

If you purchase any liquids prior to your arrival at the airport, they MUST be packed into your CHECKED LUGGAGE.

You can only carry on those liquids that are purchased in the sterile area of the airport, that is to say, AFTER the security check point.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"