Default how much money do you take with you???

as my trip draws nearer, I'm just trying to figure out about how much i should take with me. I know that there will be a $300 hold on my card that I can use for the gift shop (can I use this for the spa too?) but how much cash do you typically take besides that (for everything, including
    meals and such at airports on the way to and from, beach vendors, tips, etc)???

also, if we don't take enough cash, is there an ATM anywhere? are the charges outrgeous?

just curious, thanks!

we are taking 500 dollars

My husband and I each usually take 300. Just a fraction of it is actually used, but you never know what may happen and when you will need cash.

Also, I go to a bank beforehand and change out half the 20's for small bills since most of what we spend is on tips.

Its always a good idea to bring SOME cash for emergencies, snacks, walkin' around cash, etc.

By the way, the $300 hold on your credit card isn't a credit or anything like that... if you don't make any charges to your room, your card won't be charged.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Good question, we leave in 21 days...I am wondering the same things

You do not need much money at all! I say take a couple hundred dollars. Most EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is covered at the resort. I buy a few items on the beach to take back every year but that is about it. You might also need a little money to eat at the airport. When I leave the resort(and I have done this five times) I do not owe one penny. LOVE IT! And I usually take home cash.

We take $200. each. Have plenty of singles and fives to tip the non couples employees that help you at the airport and with the buses.
    Yes, ATM's have extra charges. We have never used them so we don't know the exact charge.
    Most other things can we charged to your room and you can settle when you depart with your credit card

I took $300.00 cash and came back with $100.00
    Things you may need or want at the gift shop will be charged to your room and you can pay that in cash or leave it on your credit card when you check out. We tipped the bus driver for each outing and for the trip to and from the airport. So the free ride to Dunns River cost about $15.00 with tipping the driver and then guide and then falls guide.
    Really if you don't leave the resort you don't need much. Fishing with Raymond the resident fisherman will cost $250.00 cash for four hours or $80.00 per hour. (I highly recommend it)and some cash for the nic-nacks on the beach doesn't hurt.
    If you plan on going to Mystic Mountain that can total up to $300 plus per couple and swimming with the dolphins is (I am told) $250.00 per.
    But you are not required to do any of these.
    Bring small bill in american because if you get change there it will be in Jamaician money, or ask the vendors on the beach and they can usually find some small bills for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayslinn View Post
    as my trip draws nearer, I'm just trying to figure out about how much i should take with me. I know that there will be a $300 hold on my card that I can use for the gift shop (can I use this for the spa too?) but how much cash do you typically take besides that (for everything, including
    meals and such at airports on the way to and from, beach vendors, tips, etc)???

also, if we don't take enough cash, is there an ATM anywhere? are the charges outrageous?

just curious, thanks!
    ....If you're not going to leave the Resort; $200 in small bills is more than enough. What you may need at the airports is another story. But a credit card will handle most of the airport businesses.

I don't mean to sound flippant (sp?), but how much do you take on other trips? It is all relative. You can truly spend as much or as little as you want. If you eat in the airport, you know that will be expensive, maybe $15-420 a person. If you go into town to go shopping or buy stuff at Dunn's River, you could spend $20, but you could also spend $500. See what I mean? We are going back to Couples for our 4th trip this summer. I typically take my bankcard, a regular credit card, and $500 - $1000 in cash. Once there, I try to make wise decisions on which medium to use based on what I am doing or buying. We have never run short, and always brought cash back. In my opinion, you can't take too much (reasonably) and you can always bring it back. I would rather have too much than come up short while I am down there.
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

We have typically taken about $250.00 in mixed small bills to handle all our needs for shopping and the airport miscellaneous.

We always get our souveniers and our rum with money left over.

So in answer to your question....

how much i should take with me.
    It all depends on what you want to buy.

We really do not take much cash any longer. Everyone takes Visa/MC. I always take ones and fives for tips and a few $$ to buy some local goods. around $200 is plenty because you will only need about $20 for tips from home to resort

Take as much as you can afford to spend. Make sure you have at least 100 in small bills ones and fives. That covers the porters, the driver to and fro and bare minimum for misc....

I've been wondering the same thing. We will be returning for our second trip in May. I don't remember how much we took on our first but we were getting married, so we took more that normal. I was thinking $200 each for tipping and purchases along the beach. The only other thing I would need money for is my rum cream, but I can use my card at the airport. Question for the CSA vets, I didn't get a painted shirt last time and plan on getting on this time. I would need cash for him, right?

We bring a few cc's and about 500 bucks. We never use the cards and bring about half the cash home.

I plan on making money on the trip. Here's my plan: The first day I will go to the Au Naturel Beach and "hang-out" for awhile. Then, every morning I will charge other sun worshipers for me to not show-up again...
    Andy & Meredith

Last time we were at CN in July/2008 for a week; we brought 500.00 in cash (small bills) and one CC. We spent the most money at Rick's cafe ( but used our CC there. Cash amount was fine - we actually came home with 100. or so.