Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Great, Now What?

I just got a call from our TA. The charter flight portion of our package we had booked for CSA next summer has been canceled. The airline has pulled all the package charter flights out of St. Louis after December of this year.

So what now. Our ground reservation for CSA is still good, but we now have no air transportation to CSA. We have the choice of: canceling all together; keeping our CSA reservation and taking another airline that does not offer a non-stop; or keeping the CSA reservation and arranging our own flight.

Any suggestions? We really want to make this trip. It would be our fourth trip to CSA, after a three year absence. Not to mention it will be our 30th anniversary. AND I miss my beach!

I am bumming right now. Still plenty of time to pick up the pieces, but still bumming.

We've been going to Jamaica since 1995 and never had a non-stop flight. If you really are that bummed you'll accept that non-stop flight.

That is a bummer. We used to take that charter and loved it. It was better when it used to leave early in the morning rather than in the afternoon. Our last trip to CN we did not arrive at the resort until 10 PM. This year we are flying commercial. I guess I do not understand why they are cancelling the charter to Jamaica. Every time we have used it, it was full.

Layovers are no big deal! You need to go back to Jamaica! No worries mon!!!

It's good that you have so much advance notice. Perhaps your TA can help you to find another option, even if isn't a non - stop flight. You'll still end up in paradise.

Don't let this stop you from loving the beach, Dirtleg.

It's not so much the non-stop, sorry if I sounded whiney. It's just that we had the whole thing planned, set and reservations in place. All done. And now we have to try to coordinate flights and ground reservations again. Just not something I wanted to deal with.

You are correct, we can deal with a stop over. But still.

Dirtleg, Sue and I blew off the charter flight from Lambert this year and went with a non stop on Northwest out of Memphis. while it wasn't as close as St.Louis we were very happy with the flight. a bit f a drive from Alton,IL but we got a room there the night before and when we returned and it worked well for us.

Randy

We fly non-stop too, but we wouldn't ccancel our plans if the flight were not available.
    You've got a year to work out the Air- that's really more than enough time - don't worry about it right now.

We went thru the same thing when Air Jamaica pulled out of Boston and left us high and dry. Imagine having non stop flights that got you to Jamaica early in the day and returned you home late in the evening. Oh we were spoiled!

POOF all gone.

After bumming for a few years we found another airlines that was trying to pick up some of those pieces. Ya we had to deal with connecting flights and we complained about loosing most of our day running around the airport waiting for another flight to get us to our destination.

If Jamaica calls you that bad you will do what you need to do to get you there. If it means a connecting flight book it. It gets you home!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    I just got a call from our TA. The charter flight portion of our package we had booked for CSA next summer has been canceled. The airline has pulled all the package charter flights out of St. Louis after December of this year.

So what now. Our ground reservation for CSA is still good, but we now have no air transportation to CSA. We have the choice of: canceling all together; keeping our CSA reservation and taking another airline that does not offer a non-stop; or keeping the CSA reservation and arranging our own flight.

Any suggestions? We really want to make this trip. It would be our fourth trip to CSA, after a three year absence. Not to mention it will be our 30th anniversary. AND I miss my beach!

I am bumming right now. Still plenty of time to pick up the pieces, but still bumming.
    For us, vacation begins with that first beer on layover.

Directs are convenient but not always the best option. We fly out of DFW where AA has direct flights, but we've flown through Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Memphis. They're always cheaper, and usually get us into MBJ earlier.

Dirtleg -

I hope the TA was able to comp you back for the lack of flight.

Here in Wisconsin, we've never had the option of non-stop, unless we fly out of Milwaukee through Apple Vacations or some such. Chicago is an option, but that's a 4 hour drive and an overnight on both ends of the vaca... doesn't work yet for the amount of time we have.

When you book your air, just be sure you allow enough connect time... especially on the way down... ok, you should also allow enough time on the way back, too, but its not nearly as important, right?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

You guys are great. Thanks for the kind and supportive words.

We are in the process of hunting down our alternatives. Randy, I am looking into possible drive and fly plans from other regional airports within a day trip of St. Louis. Thanks for the idea. If you guys are in Alton you are not far from us in North County. We were at Fast Eddie's last weekend in fact.

We will persevere through this bump in the road and plan on returning home next summer.

See ya'll at the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    You guys are great. Thanks for the kind and supportive words.

We are in the process of hunting down our alternatives. Randy, I am looking into possible drive and fly plans from other regional airports within a day trip of St. Louis. Thanks for the idea. If you guys are in Alton you are not far from us in North County. We were at Fast Eddie's last weekend in fact.

We will persevere through this bump in the road and plan on returning home next summer.

See ya'll at the beach!
    dirtleg- wow talk about leading a charmed life ... i too also wish you all the best in over coming this trauma...
    stay the course and see thru this storm... what layover do not kill you will only make you stronger

Dirtleg, give me a holler at rmccord743 at aol dot com and i'll share with you what we did and have booked for next year.

Randy

The charter flight from STL was great when it left at 06:00, but the late flight got to Mobay to late and too much time at Mobay airport when coming home. We are planning on going through Miami, Dallas or Charlotte.
    Mike

I'm already getting a nibble on the line. TA is helping us to make arrangements for an A.M. flight to get us to CSA for a late lunch the first day.

Looks like my whimpering was not justified after all. Sorry to have dragged you folks into my sob story. Thanks for being so patient and understanding. I suppose I'm just "home" sick. No more of that from me. Promise.

See ya'll at the beach!

dirtleg that what makes this message board so special.. when life throws you a sandy koufax type curve ball and you think all is lost ... the folk on this message board find the inner strength to help each other out ... this being a perfect example .. the op had her flight cancelled and at one of her lowest points she found the support from this board to overcome these horrific hurdles and triumph ... glad all is well dirt

Dirtleg,

Thanks for the heads up. I am checking with our TA to make sure our December trip is safe. What is weird is that F-jet still shows our flight exists, but the USA3000 website does not.

I am glad to know that you are still going to be able to hit the beach because we KNOW that you love the beach.

Randy -- looks like Mike & I will be following you & your lady Sue to MEM!!!

I don't know how interested anyone else is...but I am flying with US airways in May 2010 we leave STL at 5:55 a.m. with 45 min layover in NC then straight to MBJ, where we land at 11:30 a.m. Jamaica time! Now that IS something to write home about! Just a little tidbit for anyone interested in flying out of stl....drive to Memphis would be SO long!!!
    Erin N Steve (always Erin)

You could road trip to Memphis, they offer non stop flights, or just take a puddle jumper and hop on NWA/Delta out of Memphis to MBJ.

Leoconner, yup we go on the official Tommywommy flight so there are no problems flying out of MEM. we won't be staying in West Memphis next year, but using Park it here for the long term parking was great.

Randy

Linda you folks want to do Fast Eddies some week night. i bet we could get a few folks there?

Quote Originally Posted by barbgentile View Post
    Layovers are no big deal! You need to go back to Jamaica! No worries mon!!!
    I agree!!!
    -Otter,

I wouldn't be to discouraged. We flew out of DFW in May and had a short layover in Miami. We were still in Negril by 1pm!

OK. So we wound up scrapping our reservation with the online TA and are going it alone. They had no decent offers on air. Shopped different alternatives with various airlines and used a ticket price search engine suggested in another thread. Found a decent price on a trip package on an airline site, US Airways, and will book through them.
    Leaving out of STL early morning, arriving in MBJ before noon. Staying 7 nights at CSA and leaving afternoon the last day. Haven't nailed down the exact dates yet, but mid June of 2010 is the general time period.

Before we book, any thoughts or suggestions?

Isn't this fun?

Dirtleg: We too will be flying out of STL to MBJ with us airways...something weird I noticed is somehow it seems to be cheaper booking the flights separate than round trip. Just an FYI-you might want to run it both ways. The difference was only like 20.00. But hey..upgrade a massage or something, right? Good luck!
    Erin N Steve (always Erin)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast