Thread: Red Stripe

Default Red Stripe

Hi!

My fiance and I are going to CSA for our honeymoon May 16-23 and we are first-timers to Jamaica. SO excited!! I love Red Stripe in the States, so I'm curious how it will taste in Jamaica, since it's made there. I think Corona tastes much better in Mexico than in the States, so was wondering if it's similar. Anyone else going to CSA during that time?

The Future Mrs. Andrea Turner =)

Quote Originally Posted by ACTurner2010 View Post
    Hi!

My fiance and I are going to CSA for our honeymoon May 16-23 and we are first-timers to Jamaica. SO excited!! I love Red Stripe in the States, so I'm curious how it will taste in Jamaica, since it's made there. I think Corona tastes much better in Mexico than in the States, so was wondering if it's similar. Anyone else going to CSA during that time?

The stuff you get in the US is horrible compared to redstrip there. It is skunky here.

I have had it in London also, and it is the same sweet redstripe I am used to in the US. But it was from a keg in London.

When you leave the couples lounge and first walk outside, stop at the margaritaville to go, they have bottles of red stripe, I grab one or two for the road.

OK... about that Red Stripe... it tastes even better on the beach! As for where its made, it depends... if you get your Red Strip fix from the brown bottle, it is, indeed, imported from the island... but if its in a can, its from Molson/Canada.

I even noticed last week that our local supermarket has started carrying RedStripe Light!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I personally think Red Stripe in the States tastes skunked, but the RS in Jamaica is wonderful. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

IMO, the Red Stripe in the bottle taste the same here in the US & in Jamaica. Now, most of the Red Stripe at the resort is on tap and it taste different than the bottles. I like the bottle better than the tap as to me it seems to have more flavor.

Well me and the wife where there last March, She is not a beer drinker, but she love the Red stripe as did I ,

Have FUN ,its a great place, were heading to CSA this Feb 2011

Hooooo-ray beer

Never really thought about the Red Stripe, but IMHO, I really think the Appleton Rum tastes a million times better in Jamaica. I am sure it is all in my head though, but hey, what the heck?????
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Our local Wmart just started carrying Red Strip Light. Although I drink it here in Cincinnati, have to agree that it tastes much better when sitting on the beach in Jamaica!

I'm thinking that even the Carib tastes better as long as you are sitting on the beach at Swept Away!

I have also just begun seeing the Red Stripe Light here in the states. The new Red Stripe Light in the US comes in a brown stubby bottle as does regular Red Stripe, but the Red Stripe Light we saw in Jamaica last December was in a clear glass bottle. The clear glass would make the beer more prone to being skunked, as is typical of Corona (there is a reason for the lime). Brown bottles protect beer better than clear or green bottles. Cans protect the beer from becoming skunky best of all. I heard that when Corona was first introduced in cans some years ago, the canned version did not taste the same as the bottled version because it did not become skunked. Some even said that they tweaked the canned Corona recipe to better match the taste from the clear bottle that people were used to. All that being said, I was pleasantly surprised at the taste of Red Stripe Light when I drank it at CTI...you can even taste some hops! As Chris pointed out, canned Red Stripe is brewed in Canada (as is Fosters and Asahi)... still imported, but not from its home country. And as several folks have noted, nearly any beer will seem to taste better when you are enjoying it on a warm, sunny beach. Corona has been selling beer with this premise for years. No doubt that notion works for Red Stripe as well.

I had the opportunity to try Red Stripe Bold when we stopped at a roadside bar for a break halfway to CTI from the airport. It really does have a bolder flavor. I preferred it over regular Red Stripe and really recommend trying it if you have a chance. Unfortunately, I don't think it has made its way to the U.S. yet.

As a caution (or bonus?)...it is a couple percentage points higher in alcohol content than regular Red Stripe.

Cant wait to try the Redstripe!
    My fiance and i will be there 04/17 through 04/24 , we get married on the 20th, our 9 year anniversary! Maybe we will bump into eachother!
    Traci and Ray from wi

Default Tom & DuAnne

Quote Originally Posted by ACTurner2010 View Post
    Hi!

CSA 5/15-5/22-Newbies also[except for Ocho Rios cruise excursions]I can taste my Red Strip now!!Want to try RS Light.30 days-can't wait-message boards are great.

Red Stripe in a bottle is good no matter where you buy it, and Amen for that. It's what gets me through the work week. I second sndtrevino's Hooooo-ray beer...heck you talked me into it. Grabbing one from the fridge right now.

Red Stripe Bold is a new one on me. I love the RS in the stubby brown bottle when in JA and it does taste funky to me in the states as well but I'd figured it was all in my head. Good to see I'm not alone. I'll opt for water over Caribe though cuz ...yuk. I'm no college kid any more. Lifes too short for that. Anybody ever had "blatz" beer? It says on the can "beer flavored beverage". U could get a 12 pack for like 5.99 and it was worth every penny. Caribe tastes like that to me. I haven't had a red stripe in about 6 months waiting for vacation but in 11 days I'll pop the top at CSA and well see if it was worth the wait!!!

Blatz?? My gawd does THAT bring back memories! You CAN still get it (or get it again), for what its worth. But for shear nostalgic memories of drinking on a razor thin budget, who can forget the barley/hops stylings of Old Milwaukee Beer?!?!

Now THOSE were slim times!
    Chris

Ironically, it's the reverse for me, I haven't had Red Stripe in Jamaica, because I opt for everything else basically. But here in the states (Detroit, MI) we have it and I've drank it during football season with my fiance and it takes pretty good. He likes it a lot. He prefers it over any of the other beer including Corona. This time I'm going to try it right before we leave for Jamaica and then when we get there to see if I notice a difference...

Hi! We will be on our way to Jamaica in less than thirty days! OUR HONEYMOON! May 16-23 at CSA also! Never tried it, but I will and I'm going to. Steve and I are ready for a red stripe and the beautiful beach. Looking forward to the Appleton Rum too!

Happy Bride to be,
    Future Mrs. Jessica Rentfro

Default First Time to CSA!

My fiance and I will be at CSA May 19 - 25 for our weddingmoon. We are getting married May 22. Hope to see you there! We can't wait! We are counting down the days! Leave in 31 days and get married in 34 days! My fiance has never tried Red Stripe. Hopefully he likes it. Are there any other types of beers at CSA?

We will be there May 17-23!! Getting married at CSA on May 20th!!

The Barley/Hops Stylings of Old Milwaukee? LOL!!!
    Those were "Stylings" in that can? I just thought it was the way dead mice taste if i'd known there was "Stylings" in there I might have tried to taste it more.

Speaking of Stylings, Guess who's doing the single digit dance today?!?!?
    Oh Yeaaa BaBY! Soon Come!

That's great! We (Jay and Andrea) hope to meet you fellow honeymooners and newbies while we're there! We are so looking forward to celebrating our marriage, relaxing on the beautiful beach, and having the time of our lives!! It's getting so close I can hardly stand it!!!

Red Stripe I believe is a red beer, so a little heavier than light beer, but I think it has a nice, smooth flavor. Can't wait to have a Red Stripe and some Appleton Rum in Jamaica on the beach, where everything tastes better. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Blatz?? My gawd does THAT bring back memories! You CAN still get it (or get it again), for what its worth. But for shear nostalgic memories of drinking on a razor thin budget, who can forget the barley/hops stylings of Old Milwaukee Beer?!?!

Now THOSE were slim times!
    And who can forget Pfeiffers, Old Style, and Schlitz Malt Liquor? It's no wonder we now appreciate the wonderful sweet taste of Red Stripe! And, not to knock anyone, but personally, I really cannot understand why people are so concerned about if Couples carries Miller Lite.

Life's too short to drink crappy beer!

j_junkie...

I hear ya bREDren... which, by the way, is part of the new Red Stripe ad campaign...
    Chris