Default Cuban cigars at CN

It's been a while since we have been home. 8 days and counting. I'm wondering if I will have to buy my cubans from the gift shop or is there an additional reasonable resource nearby? Thanks for any help!

Hey Sherm,
    I'm not a cigar smoker but, since I usually make a bulk purchase from one of the mega dealer magazines, so I can bring down some of them for one of the beach tobacco hawkers that I’m friends with and give the rest to two friends at home, I have read up on the always desired "Cubans." The consensus of opinion: Don't bother. Since the majority of the really good cigar makers left Cuba back in the late 50s, the quality of the Cuban cigar is now marginal at best. I guess it's the just the long ago reputation, as well as the chance to have something that's a "forbidden fruit" in the States that makes them desirable, but you'll find a better smoke from a Dominican or Nicaraguan.
    That being said, they do have a large selection of country’s cigars like the ones I mentioned, Cubans & Jamaican (My friends said the Jamaicans are pretty good) in CSA’s shop. There are also a few shops along the beach that advertise “Cubans” and there’s always Treasure Island Duty Free shop down the road towards the center of Negril. The guys selling cigars on the beach also claim to sell “Cuban’s,” but no matter where you buy them off of the resort, you have to worry about what you’re getting. I’ve been told by the hawkers that they, and some of the shops, get cigars from anywhere, take off the rings and replace them with fake Cuban rings. You could be getting cigars from Sumatra, for all you’d know.
    So, I wouldn’t worry about Cuban’s if I were you, but if you must have one, just make sure you get a good quality cigar that’s been wrapped or can sealed. We’ll be down at CSA on the 18th for a week. Look me up and I’ll give you a cigar that has a good rating. We’ll be at the western end of the property, near the “Barry’s Bar” tree.
    Dave

You can get Cuban cigars in Jamaica. They are available everywhere. Just be make sure they are authentic cuban's. They are not legal in the USA and can be confiscated when you return thru customs.
    Jamaican cigars are excellent also

There is a vendor on property two nights a week, I was just there and can't remember which nights, I think one was Saturday. They were $15.00 per cigar, about the same as the gift shop but a different selection.

Later...........Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
    It's been a while since we have been home. 8 days and counting. I'm wondering if I will have to buy my cubans from the gift shop or is there an additional reasonable resource nearby? Thanks for any help!
    great question - i was curious how one can tell the difference while smoking. I am familiar with Dominican and Nicaraguan
    Are the tastes of a cuban maduro that distinct one can easily tell?

The only real ones for sure are available in the gift shop. Even the vendor on those certain nights are not selling the 100% real thing. A monte christo will cost you $29.00 but its a real Cuban.

DO NOT TRUST THE VENDORS OFF THE RESORT FOR CUBAN CIGARS. We actually printed up a article with photos of how to tell real Cubans. Guess what, we did not find ONE real cuban off the resort. Some REAL good fakes. ( we actually bought one box, and once home discovered it too was fake ). THere is a HUGE business in making fake cubans. Most fakes are actually not too bad ( according to my husband ) most Dominican . If you are a cigar smoker, yes you will notice a difference between a true Cuban and the Jamaican and Dominican cigars.