Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just a ?

Default just a ?

Are gay couples welcome at CSA ?

I would venture to say no and yes I am sure they are accepted however I know that homosexuality is frowned (against the law??) upon in Jamaica. I would imagine there might be a better resort better suited for you and or the gay couple your were inquiring about. And by better suited I mean with like minded people or people withe the same sexual orientation as described in questions.

Now without offending I personally think if the public display of affection was not there and everything was kept in the room behind closed doors, I would not have a problem with it. However I would not wanting someone to tell me I could not show affection towards my significan other so I would say your probaly going to feel uncomfortable and probably not wanted. My two cents!!

Huh? why wouldn't they be ? I know JA is not Gay friendly, but does Couples restrict what patrons can stay at their resort. An vets or managers feedback is appreciated.

Yes, as Randymon puts it "All couples in love are welcome at any of the Couples resorts".
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

welcome, yes. couples policy is that everyone is welcome and treated with respect. however, Jamaica as a whole is very homophobic so just be aware if you go off resort that it may not be such a welcoming environment. my partner and I are travelling to CSS in two days and this has been a concern for us, so I guess we'll see- certainly no PDAs or anything of the sort of resort to be sure- I'm not sure how it will go on resort. there may or may not be a difference between official policy of being welcome and reality/peoples true feelings. I'll let you know when we get back though, or you can email me at ayslinnichelle at gmail dot com.

oh, and one more thing: we are so excited about going to couples that we have already booked for next year. our initial inclination was CN or CSA, however we thought about it an realized that the public beaches might be a problem- those wonderful walks, hand-in-hand, down 7 mile beach would not be a possibility for us in Jamaica. ultimately, we chose CTI at least partly because its private beach makes us feel safer- the only people on it will be couples-approved and will have to adhere to couple's tolerance policy.

just something else to think about. Jamaica truly doee have a very bad reputation when it comes to homophobia, so although that won't stop us from going, safety is a consideration. so maybe consider going to CTI/CSS which have private beaches rather than CSA/CN which have public ones.

Yes, if they are IN LOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by nellie63 View Post
    Are gay couples welcome at CSA ?
    Not sure what the official policy is, but I have seen it in all of our trips. They are welcome by me

From Randymon's recent "rants":

". . . . 2. Same Sex Couples: YES! Couples Resorts welcomes ALL couples in love. Having said that, homosexuality is illegal in Jamaica so the destination is not viewed as gay-friendly."
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

if people were to answer honestly, i doubt it - i dont think gay couples are welcome anywhere - couples would probably be looking at a lawsuit, if they said no, ya know - which is a shame - straight people are very, very dull people

They are Welcome at Couples Resorts, but outside the resort I would not act like a couple.
    Irie Mon

I will say that the *only* blemish on our recent trip was a conversation overhead by me between a Couples employee and another (straight) couple which was seriously bashing gay men. It ended with the employee describing what he would do if he found a gay couple alone . . . it was sickening. I left (I was waiting for something or I would have left sooner), and I am sorry that I didn't report the employee.

Is that a recent change in policy from the last few years? Seems I used to remember that it was heterosexual couples only.

Not a problem, just curious.

There is a gay couple here now at CSS! I think most people here could care less.

Homosexuality is not illegal in Jamaica, certain acts ( buggery - anal relations are illegal ) http://www.jflag.org/bodyspirit/rights.htm . I have seen male couples and female couples when I have stayed at CSA and the guests did not give it a second look. Actually the male couples spent a lot of time hanging out with the water sports guys, and they always appeared to be having a great time. The beach at CSA is huge ! The public is only allowed to walk along the water front, not actually enter the beach area. I know a member of the entertainment group at CSA is a gay Jamaican and a wonderful man. He has had a hard life being gay in Jamaica, but everyone loves him at CSA . I would not give it a second thought about traveling to Couples Resorts as a gay couple. I would however, if leaving the resort, show no PDA, on the resort- fine !

Thanks I am lookin forward to your feed back. I certainly don't care what other people " think" of me i just wanted to find out how the staff would react. as far as PDA i certainly will not refrain from holding my wife's hand or kissing her when the urge hit me just like any other couples do. We have been to the dominican twice and were treated no different than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by nin_shaw View Post
    if people were to answer honestly, i doubt it - i dont think gay couples are welcome anywhere - couples would probably be looking at a lawsuit, if they said no, ya know - which is a shame - straight people are very, very dull people
    You don't think gay couples are welcome anywhere? wow... As long as they don't bring a metal detector , I don't see why it would be a problem. Respect.

" I certainly don't care what other people " think" of me i just wanted to find out how the staff would react. as far as PDA i certainly will not refrain from holding my wife's hand or kissing her when the urge hit me just like any other couples do. We have been to the dominican twice and were treated no different than anyone else"

The Staff won't react to anything in front of you, or treat you differently but Jamaicans do not accept Homosexuality.
    If you plan to go off the property , you should use more caution. While gay men are more often the target of hate crimes, women have been too. It's their Culture, their Religion, it's not going to change anytime soon - I'm surprised you'd want to spend your time and money in a country that's so completely intolerant of what you believe in.
    Last edited by WandA; April 15th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzzgirl View Post
    You don't think gay couples are welcome anywhere? wow... As long as they don't bring a metal detector , I don't see why it would be a problem. Respect.
    dumb question but wanted to understand what is the connection with a gay couple and a metal detector.

I get the impression from my gay friends that the last place they'd want to spend their vacation dollars is Jamaica, whether one is welcome at Couples or not. It's a matter of principle. They nearly make me feel guilty for going there year after year, lol.

Sorry, but I don't think there is any truth to this statement. I can say honestly, I think gay couples should be welcome ANYWHERE. I am a heterosexual, but I do feel VERY strongly that everyone is entitled to pick the person they want to spend their life with, no matter the sex, race or any other discriminating factor. I think the statement above reflects your feelings and not always a general "public" feeling. Glad that Couples does welcome ALL couples in love. As it should be!

Had no idea that Jamaica was so opposed to homosexuality so I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks

We were at a local business in negril and were told point blank that if a person was discovered to be gay, for their own safety they best leave Jamaica....that was from the locals who were very adament about it.....Jamaica is jamaica, not any other country, and to impose our ideas of right and wrong is arrogant at the least and dictatorship like and the most..... 300 countries in the world....all different...choose wisely...

Quote Originally Posted by maywillcomehard View Post
    dumb question but wanted to understand what is the connection with a gay couple and a metal detector.
    Not a dumb question.

A while ago, jerzzgirl posted on the MB indicating that she received a metal detector for Christmas and wanted to bring it to CN when she visited in March. The responses that she received were not overwhelmingly supportive.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Hold it here. Just because you are overly accepting or promoting of the gay lifestyle does NOT give you some kind of right to say this. Dull? You are hanging around the wrong folks, friend. What if a straight couple had made this kind of absurd comment about a gay couple????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast