Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default staying in montego bay either one day before or one day after

Has anyone stayed over in Montego Bay one day before or after.

I don't know if I can write this here. But Decameron looks like an inexpensive but decent hotel on the strip in MB.

We were thinking if we can't get an early flight out to stay over in MB one night and then hook up with Couples van the next morning. Is that possible to do?

If we can't get a later flight out, we were thinking of staying in MB one night after. But how would that work? Could we just take a cab from the airport after Couples drops us off?

Mary,

This doesn't answer your question about hotels in MoBay, but since your question arises from your concern about late arrival/early departure, I thought I could provide you with some useful info. I noticed that you're from Queens and assume that you'll want to fly out of JFK. Air Jamaica's early morning flight out of JFK has returned to the schedule. JM10 departs JFK at 6:00 a.m. and lands in MoBay at 8:45 a.m. (9:45 a.m. NY time); JM11 departs MoBay at 6:00 p.m. and arrives at JFK at 10:45 p.m.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

There are a few posts about this on the board, but basically you won't have a problem coming in early. Just get to the airport the next morning and have someone let the Couples desk know you're outside and ready for the ride to the resort.

Do yourself a favor and go straight to the resort. Enjoy your ist evening and be ready to go in the AM. If you have time spend the extra night at Couples - you'll be happy you did.

We have done this many times and have discovered 'The Polkerris" in Montego Bay. It's an amazing B&B with reasonable rates. Check it out on www.tripadvisor.com, there are beautiful photos and wonderful reviews. Hope this helps!

maryrnp
    I use trip advisor for such recommendations since Couples does not permit outside vendor recommendations. In the past I have read of other spending the night in Mobay the coming to the resort the next morning.

What we did this year, is take a late flight into Atlanta. Spend the night there, then catch the first flight in the morning (8:30am arrives 10:30am) into Mobay. We are estimating being at CSS by 12:30 of 1:00 pm verses 5/6 pm or later as in years past.

We have done this (spent one night on the strip) just to check out the place and really wished we hadn't. After staying at the resort, the hotel in town is just NOT IT! We wished we had spent another night at the resort.

If you decide to stay in MoBay one night, do it BEFORE you stay at a Couples resort. After you spend a week at Couples, you will be disapointed with another hotel (in my opinion). Enjoy your vacation at Couples. We just spent a week at Couples and can't wait to return!

Thanks everyone for your input. Jimmmariann, did you stay on the strip on Montego Bay? It wasn't worth it?

I have been curious about this also...not so much as a reason to shorten my stay at Couples to visit Mobay, but more so to save a few $$$ on the arrival/departure dates. With those late arrivals and/or early departures, you are basically paying for a full day of AI for just sleeping overnight.

jamaican-junkie....That has always been our feeling too. We pay a fraction of the cost to stay overnight at a wonderful B&B in MoBay (see my earlier post) and go across to Couples very early the next morning and have that entire first day there!

I just didn't feel as safe on the strip in Montego Bay as I did at Couples.Many of the hotels along that area are not great. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying the resort is SO much better than Montego Bay. Our friends stayed on the strip one night to save some money and ended up spending more for food and drinks and stuff.

Deesweptaway - How do you get to the Couples lounge the next moring? Do you stop by when you get there? Also, do you stay in MB the day you leave as well?

We stay at the Ritz Carlton, sometimes with Marriott points and sometimes we pay, depending on the time of year. We always go before as it is a good warm up but it will never compare to Couples vibe. It's a twenty dollar cab ride each way. Go to Scotchies down the road for jerk and Red Stripe to get in island mode.

To get the Couples shuttle early the next morning you have a cab bring you to the airport exit where the cabs and local vans pick up and ask someone at the door to get a Couples rep come to you as security will normally not let you back in the lounge area if you've been in country more than 24 hrs (depends who is working the door). The Couples rep will come outside with water and Red Stripe (another example of outstanding Couples service!)and arrange for your ride, normally in 15 minutes or less. We've been told no one is manning the lounge before 8:30 so we get to the airport at 8:30 a.m. and have been in a van to Negril by 8:45 and on the beach by 10:00 a.m. Its a nice way to start the week.

Thanks for all the info. I think it will depend on what time we can get our flights. I wouldn't mind adding another night on at the resort, but I too hate to pay for an AI when you are really just sleeping there for one night. You really would like to get there at a reasonable time, and at least be able to have breakfast, check out, and maybe just enjoy an hour or two before you have to rush out the day you are leaving. Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    Mary,

This doesn't answer your question about hotels in MoBay, but since your question arises from your concern about late arrival/early departure, I thought I could provide you with some useful info. I noticed that you're from Queens and assume that you'll want to fly out of JFK. Air Jamaica's early morning flight out of JFK has returned to the schedule. JM10 departs JFK at 6:00 a.m. and lands in MoBay at 8:45 a.m. (9:45 a.m. NY time); JM11 departs MoBay at 6:00 p.m. and arrives at JFK at 10:45 p.m.
    I saw that with Air Jamaica, but I am afraid to book them as they are going through so many changes.

Sure, sure... we all know that no Mobay hotel will compare to staying at Couples. Trust me, I get that from having stayed at other resorts and even a cruise, but... I am thinking this is a very clever idea if the flight times aren't great.

When we went to CSA last time we took a charter and had NO choice about flight times. So unfortunately by the time we got to the resort and checked in it was about 10:00 pm. We were starving and had quite a wait at the grill. It wasn't the best start arriving so late and tired and hungry.
    So I know that's a bit extreme (as in SO late), but even this time with regular flights all the way from YVR or SEA we likely won't get there until 11:30am or later (after a nasty overnight flight). By the time we get through customs, get our bags (always seemed to be an ordeal at MBJ), get on a shuttle and to CSS it'll add about 3 hours I figure... which is about 2:30. Half the day will be gone.
    As for leaving, even more time needs to be added... 1.5 - 2 hours to the airport, then to be there the 3 hours before, that's about 5 hours. That seems about right? If I recall, last time our shuttle left about 5 hours before our flight (and it was tight as the airport was a zoo!) So even if I can get us on the latest flight (4:00pm), we still have to leave the resort by about 11:00 am.

So people have mentioned it's ok getting to the airport first thing in the morning (after your overnight hotel) and getting to the resort nice and early, but what about the other way around?

How late can you leave the resort on check-out day if you are just going to an overnighter hotel in MBJ?

I know when our charter left late (like 8:00pm) we checked out of our room and used the lockers at the fitness facilities to store our valuables/carry-on so we could use the resort until our shuttle left at 3:00pm. I couldn't see Couples allowing guests to stay for dinner on check-out day, but being able to hang around all day to use the beach again would be nice. Does anyone know the policy? We haven't booked our flights yet, so it's all food for thought. I want to MAX our time at Couples

Keep in mind, that no matter how early you arrive at Couples, check in is at 3:00. You will be allowed to use the pool, beach, get something to eat, etc. but you likely not have a room and will not be able to schedule reservations. So be prepared to change in a bathroom. Check out I believe is 11:00, so again, if you staying later, be prepared to change in the bathroom.
    Vicky

That is a good point to make Vickyj. It's certainly not as convenient not having your room available. However, coming from where we do, and having taken a lot of charter packages to various AI's with flghts that come and go at very odd hours, one gets used to being prepared with beach stuff in carry-on. I must say at CSA on checkout day (with no choice but to leave the resrot later) it was the best. Having the fitness centre with lockers and a big change room was wonderful and made it easy and comfortable. We were even able to shower off the beach sand and salt water and be fresh for the trip home.
    I don't think we'll be staying an extra day at the end, but I am really hoping to get an afternoon flight so we don't have to get up at 3:00 am (have done that before... not fun) and can have breakfast at least. However, we have booked a hotel for the first night, just in case, since we are looking at a flight that doesn't get into MBJ until 4:30 in the afternoon.

We've stayed at the earlier mentioned AI right near the Hip Strip (before we discoverd Couples), and the we thought the location was fine (no, not as nice as Negril for sure). We never felt unsafe particularly in the resort with the security. We liked strolling/shopping the Hip Strip, and it was certainly nice being less than a 5 min. drive to/from the airport. Again, no resort is as nice as Couples, and MoBay isn't as nice as Negril, but for a overnighter it can be an option.

Have you decided what to do Mary?

Still not sure what we will do.

Here's another idea if your going to be staying at one of the Negril Resorts. Instead of staying in Montego Bay head straight to Negril no matter how late your flight gets in. You'll have to pay for the ride but it only cost anywhere from $20-$30pp for a one way transfer. Stay someplace inexpensive on the cliffs or beach in Negril, get up the next morning,have a nice breakfast , maybe do a morning walk and little exploring of Negril,then grab a quick 5 or 10 minute cab ride to Couples. Your already in Negril so its an easy travel day! We do this every trip, not because we have a late flight(love our AJ flight times) but because we like to stay on the cliffs for a few days before heading to CSA. Travel day is a breeze. I assume you could do the same type of thing if your staying in Ocho Rios, but the transfer will cost a bit more and I myself don't really know of any small inexpensive places there.
    Now as far as check out, I'm assuming unless your on their schedule for an airport transfer,(and you wouldnt be if your flght isn't until the next day) you'd be expected to leave Couples shortly after check out. But that mighht be what your planning anyway, just not having to get up at the crack of dawn to leave. Right? Also, I'd think you'd have to pay for a transfer to the airport since Couples wouldnt have your flight listed on their transfer list for that day.
    Oh, and this past December when we got to the airport for our trip home our flight was delayed because of weather. We ended up having to spend a night at one of the hotels on the hip strip. Wouldnt do it again. We would of sooo preferred to stayed another day in Negril.

Quote Originally Posted by maryrnp View Post
    I saw that with Air Jamaica, but I am afraid to book them as they are going through so many changes.
    Air Jamaica was purchased by another airline. The problems that likely have you thinking twice about it occurred before the sale.

We're scheduled to fly out on the 6 am Air Jamaica flight on Friday, September 17. We're glad that the early morning flight was restored to the schedule since the sale was completed.
    Last edited by Pamela; August 24th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Sorry bout that last post. dont know what happened. Anyway, I just thought that if I added the two extra days then we will get the whole 7 days vacation. After all we work so hard for this every year.

One Love,
    Mya

We just did this last month. We stayed at Toby's Resort in MB for the night because we didn't want to get to CSA really late and pay $$$ for that day. We told the people at the Couples Lounge what we were doing when we got there. They said to return the next morning at 8:30am and let the security guard know that we were there. It went well...no problem at all.
    Would we stay at Toby's again?? He** NO! We'd have to find another place if we need to do this again.

Quote Originally Posted by eileen11 View Post
    Would we stay at Toby's again?? He** NO! We'd have to find another place if we need to do this again.
    For 100 bucks, we loved the place. Breakfast was awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast