Default The road to Negril

The road to Negril is getting some upgrades.

Gone is the one lane bridge it is now a 2 lane.

Attachment 6384

Portions of the road are being expanded and improved. In time I am sure the trip from MBJ to Negril will be reduced by these road improvements.

Rumor has it that the GP resort in Lucea, now with 1200 rooms, plans to expand by adding another 800. A big MEGA YUCK!

Dolphin Cove being built just before you see the GP resort is still in the process of construction. The last news report said it would open in May 2010. I see it as being more May 2011.
    Last edited by RDYJMJM; June 12th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

I personally think the GP is an eyesore... and had read somewhere that the Spanish owners had been accused of (and I believe charged with) mining and relocating sand for their beach at Lucea.

I can't complain too strongly, though, because this is a wonderful thing for the people in and around Lucea. But its going to also mean that the road through Lucea will eventually need to be upgraded (although I don't know how... its quite narrow through there, and the various shops and shanties would have to be moved. This will cause some delays down the road for us Negrilomaniacs...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

"Dolphin Cove being built just before you see the GP resort is still in the process of construction"

Another MEGA Yuck

Thanks for this update! We'll be back soon!

According to Dolphin Cove II management, they plan to open phase 1 in June/July.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business4.html

In a sentiment similar to Chris' post, we're not fans of this project for multiple reasons but understand the alternate viewpoint - When we asked a bartender at CN what he thought about it he said "I'm all for it - hopefully we'll get some of my friends off the street".

What we saw being built would have to move into EXTRA high gear to make that June/July date of 2010. 2011 maybe. Remember this is Jamaica.

Rudi
    After reading the article and seeing what space they are working in, I personally question the quality of what is proposed. It doesn't seem like there is adequate space for what they are saying they are going to have for an attraction.

The $$$ they will charge to of all things "kiss" as fish!!! is a little steep for me. I'll head to the Koi pond. Maybe time will tell and the rates low enough to be considered reasonable.

Yes - the native Jamaicians need the work. I don't see the Mega Resorts hurting Couples. We were looking for a small friendly resort, we didn't want the huge, marbalized resorts. But there are people that like that, so they can go to Jamaica and enjoy the type of resort they like. And the Jamaican people will have more work. That is good for any country at this time.

Anyone remember the dirt road to Negril in the 70's...lol

I never see anyone walking around at the GP resort when we pass by??? Where are all the people?

Do the mega resorts help or hurt the Jamaican people? Time will tell. Most of the countries GNP comes from people like us. Tourism is the economy. Personally, I don't like the big corporate resorts.

I'm still living on the memories of the rusty tin roofs at the airport and that hot walk on the tarmack to get to Immigration.

Those were the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by RDYJMJM View Post
    I'm still living on the memories of the rusty tin roofs at the airport and that hot walk on the tarmack to get to Immigration.

Those were the good ole days.
    I remember coming in to land and thinking the jet is way too big for that airstrip....YIKES!
    Oh I remember the tin roofs and the hot march...lol

Mainecat

and the LOOOOOONG lines.

Mainecat

But you did notice that at the end of the runway it was a nice sandy beach.

The days of YESTERYEAR.

The trip down memory lane.

Except back then it had a one lane bridge.

Attachment 6736
    Last edited by RDYJMJM; June 12th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.