Default HELP! - Need Jamaican Patty Recipe

I'm having a Reggae party in New Orleans and will have some catered Jamaican food but they don't offer patties. Can anyone help me with a recipe? I'd love to make a lot because they are my favorite. We have meat pies in Louisiana which are similar but the seasoning is different.

We have been trying for a year and a half to find the perfect patty recipe. We have tried many Jamaican recipe sites and actually think our favorite recipe is from Emeril Lagasse. You can Google "Emeril Jamaican Patty" for this recipe. The recipe link should be first on the list. We LOVE the filling, and the dough is good, too, but we have yet to find a dough that comes out as flaky and with the same texture as in Jamaica. If anyone has the perfect dough recipe that is just like the ones in Jamaica, please let us know!

I am not sure if you have a Costco or Sam's Club in New Orleans, but here in SC you can buy them in boxes of 10. I think the brand is Caribbean Food Delights. And they are pretty awesome.

When's your party? We're going to CSA May 5-10 and wouldn't mind asking for a recipe while we're there...only if you save me one!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea6896 View Post
    I am not sure if you have a Costco or Sam's Club in New Orleans, but here in SC you can buy them in boxes of 10. I think the brand is Caribbean Food Delights. And they are pretty awesome.
    I just had the Caribbean Food Delights for the first time two nights ago. I thought they were okay, but not nearly as good as the ones on the island :-( We are having a Jamaican themed party for my birthday and was hoping to use the Caribbean Food Delights, but I think we'll make them ourselves after tasting them. Everybody has different tastes, so yours is certainly a great suggestion!

Maybe we can get something from Amy & Steve when they get back from CTI. They had some amazing food at their H-town par-tay recently

I have a sneaking suspicion that to get the dough to the optimal flakiness, you need to use something like lard or Crisco, and hence it may be difficult to find the recipe on some of the "mainstream" sites that cater to people on a health bender. I would do a basic Google search for "Jamaican Patty recipe" but then also check out some of the "better" sites like Chowhound and Recipezaar (my two favorites). On a side note, I just had a huge dinner of a basic hamburger and oven fries, all with copious amounts of Pickapeppa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestralle View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that to get the dough to the optimal flakiness, you need to use something like lard or Crisco, and hence it may be difficult to find the recipe on some of the "mainstream" sites that cater to people on a health bender. I would do a basic Google search for "Jamaican Patty recipe" but then also check out some of the "better" sites like Chowhound and Recipezaar (my two favorites). On a side note, I just had a huge dinner of a basic hamburger and oven fries, all with copious amounts of Pickapeppa.
    MMMMM, Pickapeppa :-)

We have tried probably 5 or 6 types of dough so far (including from the two sites that you mentioned). None of them seem to have that almost phyllo-like (crunchy and yet soft?) texture that they have in Jamaica. They are good, but they just aren't quite right. Oh well, maybe that's all the more reason to go back "home" as much as possible :-)

I have a very good recipe and if you email me, I'll send you a pdf. The dough is short crust pastry (I've used store bought puff pastry and it works fine too). The filling is basically spicy ground beef. They are fun and easy to make for a crowd if you don't live near a Costco or Sam's club which I don't!
    email me at: susan@seeddesign.com