Default Bring the laptop or just Internet Lounge?

Hello fellow travellors

We arriving at CN next week (April 7th)and am contemplating bring our laptop? Your thoughts? Not sure it's worth it but like to send e-mail updates to our friends and family back home to say hello and fill them in on our adventure (and rub it in that they are are at work and we are in paradise...haha). We are gone for two weeks so will be e-mailing a few times each week? Does CN have an Internet lounge?

Thanks everyone...the wait is nearly over!

Cheers,
    Kris
    Kris

If you're just using a laptop for email, then use the computer lounge at the resort. We used to bring our laptop to download pictures and share them with friends while we were still at the resort. Some people bring their laptops to Skype back home in their room. But the computer lounge is perfect for basic internet usage.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

The Internet Cafe is nice and usually has a PC available, but CN has fairly broad wireless coverage so the convenience of going online from your balcony during AM coffee or while your s.o. is getting ready, etc. may make it worth the effort to lug it with you.

the computers can be very busy at times. Last time that we were at CSS, everytime that I went to the computer room the same lady was on the computer (day or night) and I could not use the computer. Now, I bring my own.

I have to agree with Amy on this. I have thought of bringing the laptop on several occasions, and needed to for some MBA course work on year, but unless you have to have something it offers, its best to just leave it at home, and really disconnect. You can always email and FB on the lounge computers.

And as for getting pics off your digital cameras, I have two ideas.
    1. get a second (or third!) memory card and just fill em up. (My 10MP DSLR gets about 700 max rez pics on an 8 gig card, over 1k on the next step down which is fine for 95% of my photography).
    2. There are some adapters for iPods that allow you to transfer images to them from your memory card. Not sure how well they work, and of course, you need to have room on your iPod.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

We like taking my laptop. While I am in the shower Scott checks his email and while he is in the shower I do the same thing. We also use it to download pictures, but probably the main reason we bring it is since they got rid of the CD players and we don't own an ipod we need the laptop for music. I have a MacBook and it fits fine in the safe. It is also nice to have on the plane to watch movies. Scott is getting an IPad and we will probably bring that next year.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We always use the computers at the resort. The computer room at CSA and CN are great!!

I always bring my laptop. There is always a time during the late afternoon when my hubby likes to take a nap. That is perfect time for me to get on my puter on the balcony. Only time I use CN's is to print up tickets for return home. Its a nice internet cafe but privacy of my own room and balcony is better. Plus, just like to have all my info with me at all times.
    Margene

I bring my own. We use skype to video chat with the kids every evening. It makes things so much easier. Plus it saves a ton of $$ on phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    Hello fellow travellors

We arriving at CN next week (April 7th)and am contemplating bring our laptop? Your thoughts? Not sure it's worth it but like to send e-mail updates to our friends and family back home to say hello and fill them in on our adventure (and rub it in that they are are at work and we are in paradise...haha). We are gone for two weeks so will be e-mailing a few times each week? Does CN have an Internet lounge?

Thanks everyone...the wait is nearly over!

Cheers,
    Kris
    ....I don't think I'd bother taking a laptop. CN does have an internet cafe, but I doubt you will bother being on the internet while you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    ... probably the main reason we bring it is since they got rid of the CD players and we don't own an ipod we need the laptop for music.
    You don't need an iPod to play music through the iPods stations. Any MP3 player will work -- you just need the right connector cable (you can get one at Radio Shack if you don't already have one). If you don't have an MP3 player, you can get a decent one these days for under $50 (check out the Sansa Clip+).

All ya need is a 3.5mm audio cable (inexpensive)to connect to the ipod dock station.
    We are bringing the laptop. Not to check emails though....disconnecting from all that! Bringing it to manage our pix, our music, and to watch our beloved lacrosse team play their last home game of the season. If ya cant be there in person, theres no other place to be watching from than Jamaica drinking an ice cold red stripe!!!

Becky & Wayne
    CTI in April 2010

We bring our laptop because we scuba dive and take lots of pictures. Sometimes the CN internet area can be busy. Internet is available in all rooms now and was very fast. It is nice to check in whenever you would like with no wait.

I always bring my netbook and CN has WiFi in all the rooms so it is very convenient.

We had never previously brought a lap top in our last four trips but did this time (we are here at CTI now). I'm working on my Bachelor's so I though if I had any down time I could put it to good use. It has been so nice to have it- can check our email on our own schedule instead of making a special trip. Also great to have my music library available. I have a macbook so it's pretty easy to travel with, but I think it is definitely worth it

Yeah, netbooks.

Anybody have opinions on whether these are a decent option for vacation? I am thinking it will play movies, music, surf the net, check email, etc. and still be very portable and less expensive than a laptop. Or maybe the new iPad? We have a couple of months to think about it.

What do you think?

When we were at CSA, we didn't bother bringing a laptop. We used the computer lounge there, and only had to wait maybe once or twice for the week (and that might have been just to get to one connected to a printer). Then again, all we used it for was to check emails, a few news stories back home, and check-in for the return flight.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    Yeah, netbooks.

Anybody have opinions on whether these are a decent option for vacation? I am thinking it will play movies, music, surf the net, check email, etc. and still be very portable and less expensive than a laptop. Or maybe the new iPad? We have a couple of months to think about it.

What do you think?
    ....Personally, I don't think you're gonna want to waste that much time on-line.

We just got back from our first trip to CSA. We got married on the beach and spent 9 awesome days there. Due to timing only the two of us could go so I set up a site that would let us post pictures and other things about our trip so our friends and family could keep in touch. We stayed in the GVS and had wireless internet...that was sweet. We posted pics almost daily and our families loved to see what we were up too, pics of the bride and being able to post and reply to comments. It didn't take long to update the site so we checked it in the morning and posted before hitting the sheets at night. Plus, the netbook took up little room in the safe. We took the netbook as it is not possible to upload pics from the internet cafe. When leaving, we were able to visit the cafe to print our boarding passes...too cool!