Default Review of CSA trip 4/10-4/17

We arrived at MBJ and got to the Couples lounge without a hitch, where we waited for about 20 mins for our shuttle to CSA to arrive. There was beer and water available as well as restrooms and comfy couches just the same as last time. We boarded the van with about 6 other couples all bound for CSA. Our driver was VERY good pointing out the towns and the things to note along the way. We did make a short pit stop at a roadside hut for drinks, a bathroom break and snacks if anyone wanted them but we were back on the van in about 10min. We arrived at CSA about an hour and a half later and I made a break for the check-in area as I didn't want to wait long.At check-in we were promptly greeted with champagne and cold towels as we were seated.

Check in:Was a bit long and a bit shuffled, we were booked in an Ocean Verandah Suite in which I requested a corner suite. Due to the resort being at capacity, the first night we were placed in a Garden Verandah suite. Needless to say being a repeater I was not too pleased about this arrangement, however we were given a $100 resort credit and the difference of room rate for the night (which wasn't much since I booked on a promotion where our OVS was at GVS prices..but no big deal). We were told to come back at 2 the next day to be moved to our Ocean Verandah suite. After check in I headed straight to the concierge to book dinner reservations (Andre at the concierge was outstanding by the way) and we were off to our room. RoomsAs I stated above we stayed in a Garden Verandah the first night and I did NOT like that. It was a middle room...iick, and the noise from the road was not my cup of tea. The next day as told I went to the front desk at 2 to get the new room, it wasn't ready and I was told to come back at 3 which I did and I was given the keys to our new room. It was a first floor (which I didn't initially like either but now I do because of the ease of it) corner OVS we were right in front of the Koi pond and had a view of the beach and the Bamboo bar, we were a few steps from the greathouse which was an excellent location. The rooms were just as I remembered them to be...clean and comfy with a large verandah balcony. The beds I find to be a bit hard but to each their own.

Spa:The new spa is great!!!! The new "locker" rooms are very zen with showers, steam room, sauna. The new plunge pool by the treatment rooms is very relaxing and gives an all over zen feel to the spa as well. I had a 1hr massage which was good (my masseuse he was a bit rough I am not a deep tissue person) but overall it was good. We did get the 30 min couples massage as we are repeaters which I scheduled for the last night we were there, but unfortunately there was a scheduling mix up at the spa and it was not booked so we were unable to take part in that which was unfortunate, they were willing to give me a pedi or mani or something in place of it but I just simply didn't have the time with reservations at feathers scheduled...oh well, next time.

Food: Lemongrass: We did not get a chance to eat here on our first trip so this was the first time and I have to say it was ok..,my husband is allergic to shellfish and almost EVERYTHING on the menu is made in oyster oil (I would highly recommend to the chef that this be changed to sesame or something so things that are not shellfish can be eaten by those who have allergies). The apps sampler was really good I thought as well as the soup (ALWAYS TRY THE SOUP) but I had the Pad Thai and I was not impressed. The dessert was not all that good either in my opinion, so I would have to say Lemongrass was not our favorite.

Feathers: We went to feathers twice during our stay and both times it was VERY good. The wait staff Shelliann and Cean were outstanding kudos to them! The food was good ALL of it and the desserts were amazing. The only issue I had was the first night we ate there I ordered the crab bisque which had no mention of scallops in it (I react to scallops unfavorably) and that evening I was not well.

Patois: I didn't have a meal I didn't like here all week, the only issue I had was that it seemed this time around the menu didn't change as frequently as last time which I believe was daily. So the selection was a bit less, my recommendation would be to switch up the menu a bit more often and ALWAYS TRY THE SOUP!

Seagrapes: What can I say but sweet potato and hummus OUTSTANDING!! Still my favorite snack.

Grill: I highly, highly recommend the snapper sandwich very good. I did notice that they changed the fries since last time we were there, I would recommend going back to them they were more crispy these new ones...not so much.

Bars/Drinks: Very good as always, fun staff and a lot to choose from, I highly recommend getting drinks WITHOUT the simple syrup as it is not needed.

Repeaters Dinner: One of the best meals we had there, and a great chance to meet other repeat guests as well as management to voice any concerns or wishes. We were informed that all rooms would be getting a mini bars and that the garden rooms closest to the road were in the process of being sound proofed, which is good.We did go off the resort for dinner two nights which we always do which was great.

Excursions desk:great people, very friendly and knowledgeable about the tours, we went horseback riding with a group we met off of the CSA message boards and it was a blast, about $65 for a 45min ride on the beach and swimming in the ocean with the horses. It was at Rhodes plantation which was only a 10min van ride down the road. I highly recommend it, it was a great time!

Beach: Clean, always chairs available (we constantly say TONS of open chairs and the resort was BOOKED FULL the week we were there) yes there is a race for the palapas and I did play along, I set my alarm VERY early to get one and I did get one each day. If you want one I guess like the rest of us you just have to deal with it and play the game. There are plenty of trees and there are shady places available as well. But getting chairs was not a problem there were ALWAYS plenty of chairs on the beach. I enjoyed the vendors and the reggae bands that travel the beach they are always entertaining, a simple "no thanks" goes a long way with the vendors and the people doing the jet skis and parasailing. Tourism is their livelihood, be cordial and they will not bother you.

Check out:Check out was good, prompt and easy. We were given our departure "gift" and we were on our way. We were supposed to be on the bus in question on the main page, however us and nother couple got in the van that was there and left before the bus. The ride back was a bit quicker this time even with a few stops to pick up some couples people on the way to MBJ, again our driver was funny, knowledgable and pointed out things along the way when we came to the little towns.

Overall:It was a bit of a different experience as last time we were on our honeymoon and this time was just vacation, I did notice some differences but nothing was bad or completely off. It was just as expected nothing short of a great vacation at a great resort with great people. The staff is always accommodating and friendly. The only gripe I guess if you want to call it that is that I just wish that when I book a room I get that room, having to move is a bit annoying and tedious. Have a few more options for those with shellfish allergies (things at lemongrass are cooked in oyster oil, maybe sesame oil would be better) as it is common. Other than that, I have no complaints; we are already planning a vacation back for next April for our 3rd time, what can I say we are couplesaholics now.
    Erika & Sean

It was nice to meet you both that week. We are still chuckling over the horseback riding and that renegade horse.

lol it was funny. We are looking to go back next april, just need to nail down dates. It would be great to see some of you all there next year too
    Erika & Sean

I agree on the patois menu, we eat there every day, I would love it if they changed things up a bit. I know they have like 4-5 menus, just cycle them through a bit instead of leaving it the same all week.

Hey EinWi... did they say WHEN they were going to be putting in fridges? or was it "soon come"? Just curious.

just said soon and that they were working on it now.
    Erika & Sean

cool review

EinWI,

Sorry our paths didn't cross, really wanted to try and catch up with you both.

On the day we may have meet we were doing the room shuffle ourselves....oh well maybe next year!

Your right about Patios...need to start changing the menu again.

Let us know when your thinking of in April, maybe we can meet up this time.....how are the kids??

Tracy & Len

Yes that is unfortunate, we met so many really nice and fun people while we were down there from the Team CSA thread. I wish we could have met Tom and Dorothy however as they are from the same town my hubby is. We or I should say I..am thinking about april 16th-23rd (my birthday is april 22nd) and I would LOVE to be in Negril for that. The prices drop on the 17th of April. Now we just need to decide on OVS or GVS (since they are soundproofing them), and wait for flight prices.

The kids, oh the kids...they are good well at least Oscar is, Charlie still needs to grow up a bit (they are chasing ea. other around the house right now as I type this). I think they drove my in-laws a bit nuts that week, and they are watching them again in 2wks when we go to Miami too eek.

I hope you all had a good time in Negril, I do wish Patois would switch it up more often, I am sure it is a cost savings measure but it gets a bit tired after a while. Maybe next year we'll meet up!
    Erika & Sean

We were hoping to go alittle earlier in April, but as you said the prices go down the 17th, so we (I) was thinking the 17th - 28th, if we do a split again, that would have our paths crossing for a day (if I figured right) at CSA.

Still have some figuring out to do on that.....but if we do we'll have a plan a meet up this time!

We did have a chance to meet Tom and Dorothy, very nice couple, they actually live about 20 minutes from our summer place so we're hoping to get together over the summer.

What area do you live now?

Glad the kids made it through the vacation (and your in-laws), have a great time in Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Hey EinWi... did they say WHEN they were going to be putting in fridges? or was it "soon come"? Just curious.
    EinWi,

It was good doing the horseback riding with you guys. Have lots of good pics. Let me know if you'd like some. Drop and e-mail at ecsimson@yahoo.com.

Vee,

We had the chief engineer for CSA at our table for repeaters dinner. He said friges and mini bars in all rooms and I believe he said by June. Don't hold me to it.

Bart & Bug

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCouple View Post
    It was nice to meet you both that week. We are still chuckling over the horseback riding and that renegade horse.
    We enjoyed the horseback riding trip with you guys too. Seems that I had the tame horse while June had to try to get hers to cooperate...it wanted to go for a run. Got lots of pics so e-mail us at ecsimson@yahoo.com if you'd like us to send you some. Also have pics of you guys on the dance floor.

Bart & Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Readyfornegril View Post
    We were hoping to go alittle earlier in April, but as you said the prices go down the 17th, so we (I) was thinking the 17th - 28th, if we do a split again, that would have our paths crossing for a day (if I figured right) at CSA.

Still have some figuring out to do on that.....but if we do we'll have a plan a meet up this time!

We did have a chance to meet Tom and Dorothy, very nice couple, they actually live about 20 minutes from our summer place so we're hoping to get together over the summer.

What area do you live now?

Glad the kids made it through the vacation (and your in-laws), have a great time in Miami!

Thanks I am counting down the days to Miami, my tan is fading fast!

We live in Johnson Creek right now, about 30-40min north of Janesville.

Haven't booked with my mother in law yet we most likely will when we get back. I too would like to go earlier but the prices do drop some so I guess I'll have to see what kind of flight $ I can find.
    Erika & Sean