Thread: Ben Johnson Day

Default Ben Johnson Day

Something new we learned on this, our seventh trip to Couples:

In Jamaica, the Thursday before payday is called "Ben Johnson Day". Most folks are broke, awaiting that next paycheck. Does anyone know who "Ben Johnson" was?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Don't know why it would be called that, but here's your info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Johnson_(sprinter)

Ben was the Canadian Olympic hero in Seoul(Sp) Olympics 1988 running the 100 ahead of Carl Lewis in 9.83. Unfortunately the next day his urine tested postitive for stereoids and he was stripped of the medal.

So basically he was the fastest man ever caught, He was ostracizied somewhat in Canada, although I think unfairly; , some journalists even thought he shouldnt be allowed to stay. He was born in Jamaica. I believe his mother immigrated to Canada.

Regardless he paid the price, and his races were lots of fun to watch.

But i too would like to know the relation to Thurdsay before payday?

Ben Johnson was a Canadian sprinter who got caught taking steriods after he won the gold medal in the olympics back in the late 80's early 90's. Before being found out he held many world records.

I remember the Jamaican-born Ben Johnson as the sprinter who held the world and olympic 100meter records as a Canadian... he was disgraced for having been caught with steroids or such in his system.

I wonder if this is the same Ben Johnson referred to in the saying... or if there is another??
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Reminded me of the CSA grounds keeper Donovon Bailey when you mentioned Jamaican Sprinters (not the same one that won gold in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by PermanentVacashun View Post
    Ben was the Canadian Olympic hero in Seoul(Sp) Olympics 1988 . . . .
    Ben Johnson is a fairly common name. There was a Ben Johnson who was a playwright and poet and was a contemporary of Shakespeare.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I asked quite a number of "older" Jamaicans last week while we were at CSA, none of them knew the origin of the moniker. Everyone, though, was certain that it had nothing to do with Ben Johnson, the runner, as the term has been in use of over a century.

Regardless, the name has inspired me to write a short story about Ben Johnson Day and I'll post a link to it when it's done.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

"Ben Johnson Day" - a short story of historical fiction.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida