Default Atlanta layover question

Found out today that our direct flight from Montego Bay back to Detroit is no longer an option and we will have a layover in Atlanta. I had hoped to buy our rum in the airport and just carry it on, but will I have to put it in my checked luggage in Atlanta? Can anyone help me out here?
    Thanks!

Yep, that's what you'll have to do... Just slip it in when you claim your luggage at ATL (which you'll do before you get to Customs)... and you'll be fine.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I may be wrong about this but it does not seem that you would have to do that because you will not be going through security in Atlanta if you are just changing planes. You will claim your luggage, go through customs and then recheck your luggage. The only time liquids are a problem is going through security and in Atlanta going from one gate or terminal to another, you do not have to go through security again.

Hey AnnieKay,
    The direct flights to/from MBJ from DTW are seasonal on certain days of the week. When you get to ATL, you'll have the opportunity to put your liquor in your luggage right before you go through customs, and put it directly back on the plane. It's really superfluous. Make sure you put everything you can in your suitcase once you get to that point! Once I made the mistake of FORGETTING that I had my marinades in my carry-on and tried to continue on through security, after we made it through customs and but our luggage BACK on the reel, and they wouldn't let me through. I started to get pissed because I was thinking what is this lady talking about, there are no liquids in here! Why is she trippin out! LOLOL! Then she searched my bag after the second time the bag went through the x-rays, and I had MAJOR pie on my face! LOLOL!!! I ended up having to check my entire carry-on bag, that left me without my blanket and pillow and magazines. Also, I'm a TA in the DTW area, so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help out!

We pack a collapsable duffle bag for clothes, then we can put the booze we purchased at the MoBay airport that they so kindly packed in the box right into our sturdier bag once we get through customs in the states. Once they told us to do it at baggage claim, but last year, they told us to wait until we got through custons in Atlanta.
    Vicky

Briansusie ~ When re-entering the US and catching another flight, you DO go back through security after going through customs and immigration. So any liquids over 3 oz must be put in your checked luggage.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by briansusie View Post
    I may be wrong about this but it does not seem that you would have to do that because you will not be going through security in Atlanta if you are just changing planes. You will claim your luggage, go through customs and then recheck your luggage. The only time liquids are a problem is going through security and in Atlanta going from one gate or terminal to another, you do not have to go through security again.
    You do have to go through security again. If this wasn't an international flight you would be correct. Since this is their first point of entry into the US they will have to get their luggage from the baggage claim which is not in a secure area. That's the reason you have to put the liquid into the checked luggage. Next you go to immigration and customs. After that they go to a special area to recheck your bags. If you need to add any liquids you should do it now. Since the bags already have the tags on them you just give them your bags. After that you have to go back through security and to your next plane.