Thread: June trip

Default June trip

My husband and I will be going to Couples Negril the end of June and are getting really excited!! I understand CN is on a cove, not the ocean--what are the positives and negatives for staying on the cove? How is the snorkeling on the cove? Any pointers for us first timers?

Couples Negril is actually on Bloody Bay at the north-most extreme of 7-Mile Beach. The bay is your friend... enjoy.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

You will have to go out on the boat for the snorkel trips. The reef is not close in Negril. The cove is 2 miles long so no problem.

Thanks Chris-how is the snorkeling at CN? Is the beach sandy or rocky? Do you have any pointers? Thanks again!

Being located in a cove the waves are VERY small and you don't get hammered by the surf also the water stays crystal clear.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Great, thank you for the comments-they helped!! Can't wait until June 23rd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Sue from NY View Post
    Being located in a cove the waves are VERY small and you don't get hammered by the surf also the water stays crystal clear.

While that is the normal condition of bloody bay there are occasions when big waves come in. We've seen it several times and it may be better for Cicurn63 to be prepared for some wave action and be pleasantly surprised with a calm bay, should that be the case.

These 2 pics may give a sense of the size and shape of bloody bay as well as the sea bottom. It is mostly sandy with some grass and most people who snorkel there say they don't see much. However it gets more rocky at the southern tip (Rutland Point) and people snorkel there on occasion - that is not a protected area so please mind the jetskis. The northern point also has a bit of rocks and there is a small island that pops up in lower tides.
    Couples Negril is the group of buildings with brown roofs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

cicurn63 -

We're SweptAway devotees... but we did stay once, long ago (1993), at a resort next to CN, the year they were staking out Couples' new resort there. I remember the beach area as very, very nice! There was a rocky, shallow coral area over near the AN area of that resort, but that was it.

I suspect that you will not find a lot interesting near the shore (just as at SweptAway), but its still fun for us flatlanders who don't get much opportunity to snorkel in such clear water.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thank you for the photos, that was awesome!!

Not much to see snorkelling along shore. I went out 3 or 4 times during our week there (CN) in September. I did one night trip. People that have snorkled Mexico said they seen more in Mexico than Jamaica. I had fun and saw different fish on each trip. I also did one dive while I was there. First time doing both these activities.

Great, Thanks!!