Thread: Flying Anxiety

Default Flying Anxiety

I am looking forward to COUPLES, but im scared to death of flying! I've flown about a dozen times and I absolutely hate it. Those of you that cannot NOT VACATION because of you fears, how do reduce flying anxiety?
    MouLouHill

Default Xanax!

I lived in the south pacific growing up, so we would make the two day journey back to Massachusetts once a year and Hawaii twice a year. I have logged soo soo many miles in the air, but I developed a debilitating fear of flying shortly before I moved back to the states 18 years ago (after a very traumatizing flight). I was forced to fly after the fear set in because I needed to leave the little "rock" of an island I was on. The doctor prescribed me Xanax to take on the flight. It was a life saver. I am still fearful up until I take my trusty pill, but it is all good from there. I don't have a care in the world! I know that flying is an irrational fear, so I don't let it stop me..... but believe me I will never leave for the airport without Xanax in hand!

the only trouble I have with flying is the security hassle, otherwise get good and drunk, pass out and wake up in Jamaica

Valium from the DR.

Xanax.

I am not a fan of flying either but like you don't want to miss out on all my opportunities to see the world. I use to use alcohol to medicate myself so I could get on the plane but that did not make for a very pleasant next day with a hang over. When we made our first trip to Europe I thought there could be no way I could drink enough alcohol to get me over the "big pond" so I talked to my doctor and she prescribed me an anti anxeity pill to take(Xanax). That has been a miracle pill. I have been using it for flying for several years now and it makes flying so much more enjoyable. It relieves all of the anxiety so now I am not constantly grabbing my husband's leg asking him what that noise was or if that is suppose to happen. Actually the drug makes me so sleepy that I sleep most of the time on the airplane which is just fine with me. I get to my destination well rested and ready to start my adventure.

I highly recommend asking your doctor to prescribe you something it will make your trip much more enjoyable.

Good Luck!

Annarundel

Well lots of people have a drink or two to relax before flying, but I found meditation and learning to control your thoughts works better.

Google eight minute meditation, I read that book and it helps me.

Upgrade to first class and have a few drinks. Or stay up all night and sleep the entire flight. The first idea is more fun though.

I have anxiety and it helps on the way down because I am excited about where I am going. We have about a 3 hr 40 min flight to Jamaica. In March when we go I will be downloading some movies to my IPOD to watch, in addition the airline will have a movie playing. That helps alot. I also take an anti-anxiety med about 1/2 hr before boarding.

I just flew from STL-PDX a couple weeks ago and I have really smooth flights so I think that helped my flying anxiety some.

One word: Xanax.

I am deathly afraid of flying, and not a big fan of medications, however a low dose Xanax makes the whole thing palatable. (Still not FUN, per se, but palatable.)
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

I am in the same boat as you. what works for me is reading a fun magazine during take off. Then when you can use electronics bring along your favorite movie, download it on you phone or buy a mini dvd player. Crank up the volume and know you will be in paradise in a few short hours.

Quote Originally Posted by moelouhill View Post
    I am looking forward to COUPLES, but im scared to death of flying! I've flown about a dozen times and I absolutely hate it. Those of you that cannot NOT VACATION because of you fears, how do reduce flying anxiety?
    (sheepishly)...cockail, wine, or beer on board or before boarding. If you've got a super-early morning flight, that's obviously not workable. Then you need a patient flying partner...and the promise of Jamaica. Good luck - I feel your pain. Every time I fly, I am convinced that it will be the last thing I do. No amount of rationalization or statistics-quoting helps. Forced relaxation does. If you have a paralyzing problem, your doctor may prescribe you something. Like I said, though, I always "self medicate."

We usually take off early in the morning before the sun is up and so reading or anything doesn't work real well. Taking off has always been exiting though and as soon as they tell me we can use electronics I turn on my MP3 player and listen to Regae music to help me relax and get excited about the island. I also take my newest "Island" magazine that arrives just before we leave and when the sun is up and the view is boring the magazine and music help.
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by drgerard316 View Post
    Valium from the DR.
    So is the Domincan Republic Valium as good as what we have in the states or better?

I don't like flying either but I hate not going to Couples even more. Last trip I got a funny book (I Feel Bad About my Neck) and I literally laughed the entire trip from Charlotte to MBJ. The book is short and I just about read the whole thing. I was in the best mood. Laughter IS the best medicine. Another funny book to read is Marlo Thomas's- I Grew Up Laughing.

Cheers for xanax! I don't have a fear of flying, but it's not my favorite form of travel...take off and landing have me gripping the arm rests and practicing yoga breathing techniques! However, xanax and a cocktail really take the edge off - used it for flights to Jamaica and also to Europe.

I manage to have a bump or two o
    n my early flights, it's vacation after all.

I used to be terrified of flying and went to the doctor to get tranquilisers which really helped.
    I then read a really good book called 'Take the fear out of flying' by Maurice Yaffe, which explained how planes fly, and what all the noises you hear mean (& that there is nothing wrong with the aircraft). I found this really helped me. I still don't enjoy flying, but I'm not terrified anymore.
    I also try to sit in the middle of the plane and keep myself occupied with a good book, film or music or try to sleep, to pass the time.

Since I have had my daughter I have a huge fear of flying. It was never a problem before. So is my doctor going to look at me funny if I go in asking for a tranquilizer? I do not like to take medication and would almost be embarassed to ask. But if it would help I would definitely be okay with it!!

Quote Originally Posted by swept away junkie View Post
    Since I have had my daughter I have a huge fear of flying. It was never a problem before. So is my doctor going to look at me funny if I go in asking for a tranquilizer? I do not like to take medication and would almost be embarassed to ask. But if it would help I would definitely be okay with it!!
    The first time I asked for an RX, I was totally embarrassed. Only the fact that DH threatened to leave me at the airport if I didn't do "something" propelled me there. I literally got a prescription for 6 of the weakest Xanax available. The pharmacist practically laughed at me.

Now, I just call me doc and say... "Flying again" and she calls in a very small RX for me to use for that trip. Don't be embarrassed. Just think of how much easier it's going to make getting there and home.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]