Thread: School Supplies

Default School Supplies

I read on a thread some things the schools need. Two items were Play Doh and finger paint. I couldn't find the finger paint so I bought water colors. I figured that could play with them too. My question is, will I be able to get through security with these items in my carry on or should I pack them the checked bag? TIA

I'd wrap 'em up and put them in your checked bag. I suspect they'd probably be particularly perked up about the Silly Putty. Don't get me wrong, they'd probably let it through, but it would also be a bit of a hassle. If its over 3.5 oz, it'll be a sure thing that you need to put it in your checked bag, I think.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks Chris!

put it in your checked bag makes thing much easier, plus it will give you extra room for he rum and coffee you bring back.

i plan to take school supplies as well. but was thinking of buying them down there at a store or something. should i buy in the states or is there a place locally that sells supplies???

Dewfinately buy in the states, prices are a lot better.

Regarding the purchase in the the States vs purchase on the island (locally)... a lot of issues come into play.

Weight limits... you're bag cannot exceed 50# without incurring additional fees.

Are the school supplies "gently used"? We purchased some children's books at a rummage sale recently, for example.

But here's a point... and its a very salient one... while you are helping the local schools and students by bringing paper, notebooks, pencils, pens, markers, and such... there is no immediate benefit for the local economy. Purchasing locally does.

Yes, there are local stores where you can purchase these items. And as bonz1962 says, its rather expensive, relative to the US. You must also leave the resort, find your way to the store (by cab), and make the purchase.

Solutions? Well, that's up to you. I would never say that you must buy locally to make a difference. Its just not the case, because the needs are so great. But there is one VERY important opportunity that I would recommend.

Make a donation to the Issa Trust Foundation, established by the Issa Family (owners of Couples). If you are a member of Couples Romance Rewards program, with "Passionate Love" status, why not donate that "found" money ($100 US) to the Foundation? Can anyone think of a better way to make a difference while enjoying a Couples vacation?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"