Default requesting a room??

What is the best way to get the room you want? Email? Call direct? Do this ASAP or maybe a few days upon arrival? We are staying in a GVS and would like 2nd floor. Of course in a GREAT location. anyone have any room #'s that would fit this bill??

See Randymon's post on this subject today... You can get the classification you want, but the rest is a matter of the draw and when you arrive.

Regardless, look beyond the room... check out the other accommodations during your stay, which probably won't be your last. Enjoy all that your resort and Jamaica have to offer...

Most importantly...

Enjoy!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Read Randy's post at the top of the Message Board today

This practice has clearly gotten out of hand- so thankfully, it's been "reigned in". I'm glad because some people take this WAY too far , especially at the Front Desk.

For you first timers with no prior room preferences.....take the room you're given upon arrival, and see how it works for you....chances are it will be perfect.

We loved our room last year so we have purchased another GVS.

I just hope Randy's information gets to the Travel Agents who accept and guarantee these requests.
    Vicky

I agree with Wanda and Chris above. As my first trip to Jamaica and CSA approached just over a month ago, I was a nervous wreck wondering if I would get a good room or not. Looking back, the room was such a very small part of what made the trip great. Other than sleeping, we spent VERY little time in the room. We got ready in the morning, spent the entire day out on the beach, in the restaurants, doing watersports. We'd come in for a quick shower and to get dressed for dinner and then wouldn't see the room again until bedtime. I bet we spent 2 non-sleep hours in the rooms per day. So please don't get too worried about the room choice and don't let it ruin what will still be a wonderful vacation no matter what room you might get.

Quote Originally Posted by gopanthers View Post
    I agree with Wanda and Chris above. As my first trip to Jamaica and CSA approached just over a month ago, I was a nervous wreck wondering if I would get a good room or not. Looking back, the room was such a very small part of what made the trip great. Other than sleeping, we spent VERY little time in the room. We got ready in the morning, spent the entire day out on the beach, in the restaurants, doing watersports. We'd come in for a quick shower and to get dressed for dinner and then wouldn't see the room again until bedtime. I bet we spent 2 non-sleep hours in the rooms per day. So please don't get too worried about the room choice and don't let it ruin what will still be a wonderful vacation no matter what room you might get.
    Absolutely right, gopanthers!!! On a trip to Couples your room is probably the LEAST important part of your vacation because you spend the LEAST amount of your time awake in your room. All the other aspects of a vacation at Couples is what matters... the service, the food, the beach, the ocean, the facilities... that's what you will spend most of your time enjoying. Accept your room as part of the journey and prepare yourself to enjoy all the things Couples has to offer, that way you will never be disappointed.

ENJOY!!!

I disagree about the room not being important. We spent a lot of time in our room and on the porch the last few weeks. Unlike our last trip, we could not get a spot in the shade on the beach without getting yelled at this time. We spent a lot of time hanging out on the porch and in the room instead. We also had a really bad room in a good room category. I wouldn't suggest asking or hoping for a specific room because you probably won't get it. I would ask for a certain floor or possibly building but be prepared to get exactly what you didn't want. We wanted first floor (recent injury makes it hard to climb stairs) in a building NOT next to the Palms or Sea Grapes because of the noise. We got the second floor one building away from the Palms, right in front of Sea Grapes. It was very loud, some nights we were up until after 5am and then up again at about 7. I don't think you will have this problem in your room though. I would just ask for the floor you want and get the room you get. How do you know that you will like what others like? Some people probably really love the room we just had, we hated it. Some people probably hated the Atrium suite we loved.

We have stayed at Couples TI 9 times. We have always requested and received a room in a block of rooms in the main building, ground floor. Carol Russell in particular as well as Faye have always been so helpful in filling our request. Room location is extremely important to us for various reasons. We have travelled all over the world and many time we were asked when booking about room preferences. It is standard practice. To now take this option away from guests when booking at Couples is very disappointing and a very rigid attitude by hotel management and not at all in the spirit of Jamaican "no problem". We are planning our next trip for 2011 and I hope that by then this new policy will be relaxed for special reasons and special guest requirements. We love Couples TI and hope to return to the best ever vacation as we have had many times before. Thank you for you consideration.
    That Colorado Couple Hermine and Bernard

I think that requests are just that, requests. I don't understand how a simple request can turn into people demanding certain rooms. Unfortunately that is what happened and now we can't even request. But, if they are just requests, then the answer may be "no" sometimes. I'm fine with getting the answer the "no". I'm not fine with no even being able to request something. What are the check-in people going to do when I start asking if they have a third floor corner room available? Are they going to cut me off because they don't take requests?

Requests should be taken. The demands should go away. Great customer service means that you should be able to ask for something and get a nice reply. Telling someone they can't ask is just rude. Just my opinion people, but it does suck that the demanding people have now shut out the nice people just requesting.

I agree that room "requests" should be considered. The fact that some rude people considered these "requests" as a guarantee and got upset with the staff is downright ridiculous and is unacceptable. But why should these people ruin it for those of us who just ask politely if certain "requests" could be considered?
    For example: we always like to be on the top floor - due to my sleeping issues - I don't like anyone above me - moving furniture, walking heavily. I prefer to not have that.
    Someone else may not like the top floor and request a ground floor.
    If we don't request, the staff have no idea of our preference, and we could get ground floor and the other couple top floor.
    I just think it should still be appropriate for us to make requests - and know that a request is never a guarantee - and for those who believe it is, should wake up and smell the coffee.
    Staff should never be subjected to rudeness about something like that - ever.
    Rquest means to ask - it does not mean demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    I think that requests are just that, requests. I don't understand how a simple request can turn into people demanding certain rooms. Unfortunately that is what happened and now we can't even request. But, if they are just requests, then the answer may be "no" sometimes. I'm fine with getting the answer the "no". I'm not fine with no even being able to request something. What are the check-in people going to do when I start asking if they have a third floor corner room available? Are they going to cut me off because they don't take requests?

Requests should be taken. The demands should go away. Great customer service means that you should be able to ask for something and get a nice reply. Telling someone they can't ask is just rude. Just my opinion people, but it does suck that the demanding people have now shut out the nice people just requesting.
    Very well said. No harm in asking, but just don't expect, that's all. Seems like a nice happy medium for all parties concerned.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

After reading this thread I went back and re-read Randymon's post on this subject. The way I read it, is that there are no requesting IN ADVANCE. This does not say to me that on check in you can't ask if they have something specific available. I'm sure that anyone with a special request or need will be heard and be taken care of to the best of the staff's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    . . . . I'm not fine with no even being able to request something. What are the check-in people going to do when I start asking if they have a third floor corner room available? Are they going to cut me off because they don't take requests?
    Re-read Randymon's post. It says no requests can be made IN ADVANCE. You can still make a specific request when you arrive. The problem was that people made requests in advance and were angry b/c they seemed to think that requesting the room guaranteed that they would receive it. By eliminating advance requests, Couples has eliminated such expectations.

Randymon's post states as follows:

"Please understand that we are unable accept any specific room, building, or floor requests in advance. Daily arrivals and departures prevent us from making any guarantees, and we do not want our guests starting their stay with us disappointed that a specific room, floor, or building has not been confirmed.

"Not only are we trying to avoid your disappointment, but our front desk staff is taking too much unwarranted heat from arriving guests who are unwilling to accept 'I'm sorry, but it is not available for an answer.

"We want your stay with us to be fantastic and memorable, AND we want our staff to look forward to the wonderful role they play everyday. As a result - and I am acknowledging that this will not stop the requests 100% - we will be rejecting and/or editing all future posts that appear to be requesting specific rooms, floors, or buildings."
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

It's ridiculous that guests have gotten so out of hand but it's true. I have witnessed it in person when these people show up and the Front Desk doesn't get treated kindly at all. These guests often come to this room request by reading this board.
    Go through and read all the times people have asked total strangers what room they should request. Just by submitting these requests people feel entitled.

We stay at lots of hotels and have had our preferences noted or registered as frequent guests. Even the Airlines know where you prefer to sit if you're a frequent flyer. I haven't heard of people requesting a specific room in advance anywhere but here. Especially a first time guest. How on Earth can you ask someone what room they liked and then expect a specific room to be held for you. What nonsense!!
    I'm glad these policies are going into effect.
    Last edited by WandA; May 10th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

I think that if the room is available at the time of the request there is no reason why it should be an issue. How unreasonable is that? If it is it is, if it's not then its not. And I don't see any reason why travel agents should not be able to make the same request as someone booking it themselves. To some people the room may be important for whatever reason.

I totally agree that you should be able to request a room location. Margi said it perfectly. We requested a room on our last visit. It was not available upon check in. The woman at the check in desk acknowledged our request and stated that someone was already in that room so she gave us the room next door. I thought that was fantastic customer service. The first impression of that trip was that the CSS staff hears what the guest wants and does everything possible to help out. Great first impression. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

I just hope Randy's information gets to the Travel Agents who accept and guarantee these requests.
    As a TA I will make a "REQUEST" for a client, not for a particular room, but for a first floor, third floor, maybe a corner room, I make sure the client knows that there is no gurantee, this is a request only. I try to explain the logistics of departing/arriving guests, sometimes it works, sometimes it goes right over their heads and they will come home and tell me they did not get the room they wanted, now I highlight a sentence saying this is a REQUEST ONLY. If I have someone that really needs a first floor room due to mobility I make every effort to make sure that Couples knows this in advance of arrival.
    I think that requests should be allowed, when a resevation is made direct with Couples they should include a disclaimer on the confirmation that it is a request only.
    It's a tough call and I do feel for the front desk staff when some of these guests check in and expect room 3401 because they asked for it and never mind that it's already occupied since the day before, you should have just held it open!
    When dealing with the public it's best to wear your crash helmet and body armour!
    Good Luck with this one!

What it boils down to is not the request per se, it's the expectation. It's one thing to ask for a specific building/floor/room, but a whole nuther to expect this to happen, especially when first checking in. That's what seems to have soiled this whole thing to the point that Couples was forced to change its policy. It's why I stated what I had before: no harm in asking, just don't arrive expecting.

I still see no problem in making at least a general building or floor request when first setting up our trip. Hey, if they say at that point sorry, no can do, you'll have to wait until you arrive at the resort, fine. So be it. And once we're there, if they say sorry, I know what you requested, but this is the best we can do, again, fine. Not gonna stress over the small stuff. If everyone came in with this attitude, there would be no issues.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I would also like to weigh in on this since we are looking at booking our return visit for 2011. The policy of not accepting any request at all is troublesome to me. Requests are just that, requests. They are not demands or guarantees. People should realize that. I also understand that specific room request are probably hard to accommodate, however building or even floor request I would imagine wouldn't be.

It's a concern for us going forward. I'm like a previous poster and would really prefer a room on the top floor. Being stuck in a ground floor room would be a serious disappointment for us.

I hope that this issue can be resolved and a compromise can be met before we book for next year.

WillandAmy -

You've nailed the problem on the head without trying. "Requests are just that, requests." Unfortunately, that's the way it SHOULD be, but its not. There seems to be a rash of upset people who seem to think otherwise, and this has been a bit of a problem for Couples and their staff.

I simply can not understand how its possible that folks don't understand the logistics of operating a 288 room facility such as SweptAway, with people checking in and out every day. The complexity should be even easier to acknowledge given that there are 8 room categories, each of which, by their very nature, are being reserved for a very specific reason, be it preference, budget, or any other of a myriad of factors.

Complication number three... multiple floors... where does it all end? Corner rooms... are you kidding me? Is this sounding crazy yet?

For those of us who have been, we know... I'd suggest that everyone chill, and try to enjoy the place. For those going to Negril, if it doesn't work out, there are a number of less inclusive and non-inclusive properties down the beach that might cater to your needs and perceptions just fine... or there are the hotel like structures up the beach that will offer no pretense of a bungalow feel, with a far more limited selection of room categories.

Now if I can just get off this soapbox without doing a face-plant in the sand!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"