Default Couples CTI Questions, limited walking

Hi All,

Been doing some research into which Couples Resort to go to for our Honeymoon in late December 2010 / Early Jan 2011.

My fiancee has foot and ankle issues and we are trying to minimize the amount of walking she has to do from the rooms to the the restaurants and getting onto the beach/water.

Were looking at CTI because it looks like it's the most compact with minimum stairs. Would everyone here say my research is correct that CTI would be best for this? CSA & CN seem like they are spread out more. Can't tell with CSS.

CTI Specific Questions
    1. Do all Deluxe Ocean 1 Bedrooms have bathtubs? She can't stand for long periods for showering so baths would be better?
    2. Are there elevators form the rooms to the main parts of the hotel? What about to get to beach level?
    3. If needed does the Hotel have wheel chairs we can use to get her from Rooms to restaurants and beginning of the beach?
    4. If CTI does have wheel chairs, is it easy to get around the hotel or are there stairs at a lot of places?
    5. How far out can you swim on the Main Beach at CTI? How deep is it? We'd like to be able to at least get to water that was 6 feet deep to be completed submerged. Not a deal breaker but we like to lounge on the beach and play in the waves.
    6. From the pictures looks like there's a floaty wall in the water that's pretty close to the beach. Can you swim past that?. How far left and right can you swim once out in the water?
    7. I read on this board that you can't use the floats on the back of the beach chairs in the water at CTI, is that true? Ironic if it is since it's one of their first pictures showcasing the place.
    8. Have I been wrong in my research? Is there another Couples that would be ok for us?

Thanks all in advance. We're looking forward to this trip and can't wait.

We've been to all four of the resorts. In my opinion, the best for someone with mobility issues would be CN. At CN, Buildings 1 and 6 flank the center of the resort; if you were in one of those buildings on the first floor, you would at the resort's center and would have no stairs to climb to access any of the four restaurants or the pool. There are a couple of steps down to the beach, but if she exited your first-floor room through the sliding glass doors, she would only have to step down off of the patio onto the sand. Couples does not guarantee specific buildings/floors/rooms, but they do have some rooms that are designed to accommodate people with disabilities. When you book, you might want to inquire about the availability of such a room.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

DanL,

Your research is accurate. CTI would be the best resort. CSA and CN are spread out while CSS is also spread out and has many stairs to climb. There is an elevator in the lobby at CTI that will take you between floors in that building. Don't know the answers about the Deluxe Ocean room or wheelchair but would recommend that you contact CTI directly with that question through the "contact us" link on the left navbar. There is a roped off area for swimming and yes, you can get in over your head. You can see the panoramic view here http://www.iceportal.com/brochures/m...Map&transfer=1. Never saw a problem with people using chair floats in the water...though things may have changed since we stayed there last year. Hope this has helped with your decision to expierence CTI.

Bart & Bug

1. Do all Deluxe Ocean 1 Bedrooms have bathtubs? She can't stand for long periods for showering so baths would be better? hey can either or. I know that the shower we had in our Premier Room and a seat in it so you could sit down.
    2. Are there elevators form the rooms to the main parts of the hotel? What about to get to beach level? There are elevators in the main lobby and further down in what I think is now building 5 and possibly in the last building. No elevator to the beach level. There are steps. But the main pool has a ramp to it.
    3. If needed does the Hotel have wheel chairs we can use to get her from Rooms to restaurants and beginning of the beach? Don't know.
    4. If CTI does have wheel chairs, is it easy to get around the hotel or are there stairs at a lot of places? Don't get me wrong, we love CTI but I wouldn't call it wheel chair friendly. The building was built about 60 years ago and Jamaica doesn't have the ADA.
    5. How far out can you swim on the Main Beach at CTI? How deep is it? We'd like to be able to at least get to water that was 6 feet deep to be completed submerged. Not a deal breaker but we like to lounge on the beach and play in the waves.No sure how deep the water gets off the shore as we spend all our time on the island.
    6. From the pictures looks like there's a floaty wall in the water that's pretty close to the beach. Can you swim past that?. How far left and right can you swim once out in the water? There is a raft you can swim to and lie on near the ropes. The loungers have pads that are also floaties. You can't swim too far left as there are cliffs and you wouldn't want to swim past the pier to the right as there is a reef. We have seen many times people swimming to and from the island.
    7. I read on this board that you can't use the floats on the back of the beach chairs in the water at CTI, is that true? Ironic if it is since it's one of their first pictures showcasing the place.Yes
    8. Have I been wrong in my research? Is there another Couples that would be ok for us? CTI is the most compact. CSS has lots of stairs and is very spread out. I don't know about CN or CSA as we have not been there. Once you arrive at the resort, you can talk to the front desk about your wife's ankle problems and if they can they will make sure you are in a room near the center of the resort/elevators. I would avoid Buildings 1 & 2 because they are separated from the main buildings and you MUST use stairs to get to the floors with the rooms.
    Vicky

Thank you all for your replies. This has helped a lot.

Pamela thanks for your input. I think CN will be the next one we try, but I think it's too spread out right now. Distance is another issue for her along with stairs. Might be more of an issue actually as each step hurts a little whether it's up/down stairs for flat. I think she would rather walk with a cane / crutches then be in a chair for now. Hopefully after the planter facitis and heel spur subside we'll try out CN.

Bar and Bug, thanks, we were worried that the water only got to waste levels based on that panoramic. Based on the panoramic the float wall only looks about 25 feet out so I wasn't sure how deep it got.

Vickyj, so is that a yes you can use the floats on the back of the chairs in the water on the beach or no? Thanks for input on avoiding Building 1 and 2. That will be helpful. Based on your observation it's ok to swim out past the water wall between the shore and the island but not left and right?

Thanks for all the input guys. This has helped with are main issue of having enough water to play in. We've been to Ixtapa in Mexico and love the big 15 foot swells in the water to five through and over. We know were not getting waves like that here but wanted to make sure we can atleast have some room in the water to have fun. It's one of the few places she can maneuver without being in pain also.

DanL ~ If stairs really are an issue, I wouldn't suggest CTI. While the resort is smaller than CN there are a lot of steps. Especially down to the beach and then from the lobby to the main restaurant and to the specialty restaurants. Basically there are a lot of stairs especially compared to CN.

CN is a little more spread out, but she can experience CN without ever using stairs. You can request a room in Bldg 1 or 6 and she will be very close to everything. She won't have to take any stairs to restaurants or anything.

CN is VERY handicap friendly. They have a tub in each room and the bathtub has a great shelf in the tub that would be easy for her to sit on. CN also has wheelchairs for her use and it would be very easy to get around.

Not all of the rooms at CTI have bathtubs. We were in Bldg 1 which did have a bathtub, but the building also had lots of stairs. At CN you would be guaranteed to have a room with a tub.

I really would recommend CN over CTI as she wouldn't have any stairs. Take Pamela's advice and go to CN especially if she has mobility issues.

We have also been to all 4 resorts and CN would be the best for her.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    DanL ~ If stairs really are an issue, I wouldn't suggest CTI. While the resort is smaller than CN there are a lot of steps. Especially down to the beach and then from the lobby to the main restaurant and to the specialty restaurants. Basically there are a lot of stairs especially compared to CN.
    I would have to respectfully disagree here. Not sure where these tons of steps are coming from, but most of CTI's facilities are only one level up from the beach. All of the restaurants are at lobby level except the veggie bar, which is on the beach, and Bayside, which is literally on the water. And CN's lobby involves just as many stairs, if not more, to reach the beach level than the stairs from the lobby at CTI. Yes, all of CN's restaurants and most of the bars are basically at beach level, altho if my feeble memory serves me correctly, there are still a few stairs that have to be negotiated to actually hit the beach itself. And even that aside, in order to reach the gift shop, piano bar or take care of any business at the lobby (ie reservations,etc), then it's back up those stairs again.

This is not to suggest that the OP disregards staying at CN, which is a stunning resort and yes, a first floor room at CN does allow the guests to be for the most part at the beach level. So that point should be a factor. In fact, I'd even throw in CN's much larger beach and swimming area to considered as well for that matter (if you can't tell by now, I loved our stay at CN as much as our time at CTI) But we shouldn't be painting CTI as a stairs-heavy resort. Not fair and more importantly, not accurate.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    .....All of the restaurants are at lobby level except the veggie bar, which is on the beach, and Bayside, which is literally on the water.....
    Don't ask me how I suddenly remembered this, or better stated, how I could have forgotten in the first place, but now that I think about it, when you go thru the doors and enter The Patio, I believe there are a few steps you have to take. What I can't remember is if there was also a ramp - don't think so, but I honestly don't remember, which is sad being that I was just there a month ago. But if it's steps only and does not include a ramp, then this does mean an extra hinderance for someone in a wheelchair, and I stand corrected.
    Ron

"Vickyj, so is that a yes you can use the floats on the back of the chairs in the water on the beach or no? Thanks for input on avoiding Building 1 and 2. That will be helpful. Based on your observation it's ok to swim out past the water wall between the shore and the island but not left and right?"

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you can use the loungers on the chairs for floating or just laying on the beach. We have friends who have swam to the island. It really depends on how strong a swimmer you are, but it can be done. When we were there in 09, a guy used to swim to the island every day, get a beer, then swim back. We also have had friends who snorkeled from the island on the mainland side. You won't want to go on the ocean side as with the reef and waves, it wouldn't be safe. You can swim over by Bayside also.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    . . . . And CN's lobby involves just as many stairs, if not more, to reach the beach level than the stairs from the lobby at CTI.
    If you exit from the front, however, you can take a walkway that gently slopes and never encounter even one step in reaching the main level.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Thanks to everyone's replay. Vikvy thanks for input on swimming area. That's a relief as from the pictures the actually swimming area in the ocean looked really small with the floaty wall.

My soon to be wife's issue is in endurance. She's not wheel chair bound (right now) but it hurts to move every step stairs or not, so I think well try out CTI this time around. We are about to book the trip for 12/30/2010 to 1/9/2011. Hopefully it won't be too busy then.

Were hoping that her planter facitis and heel spur subside by the time the trip comes along, but if not seems like CTI will be ok. Well be bringing crutches and a cane just in case. Hopefully our next trip after this, her plantar facitis will be ok and well try out CN or CSA. Guess I should call Sharon now.

Need to call couples now just to make sure they have wheel chairs though so we can minimize any walking she has to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    If you exit from the front, however, you can take a walkway that gently slopes and never encounter even one step in reaching the main level.
    Wow, I was there for four days and never noticed that.

Again, I stand corrected. Thanks for this update.
    Ron

Hi Ron & Rose, purchased the airline tickets today, still have to reserve the hotel. One other thing I forgot to mention is that we would really like to wake up to a complete ocean view over looking out balcony.

Is the premier ocean worth upgrading to from the Deluxe Ocean? Looks like Deluxe rooms ahve bath tubs and premiers do not. Based on this thread looks like we should try to get something in Building 4.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Hi Ron & Rose, purchased the airline tickets today, still have to reserve the hotel. One other thing I forgot to mention is that we would really like to wake up to a complete ocean view over looking out balcony.

Is the premier ocean worth upgrading to from the Deluxe Ocean? Looks like Deluxe rooms ahve bath tubs and premiers do not. Based on this thread looks like we should try to get something in Building 4.
    Hi Dan. To me it's strictly a judgement call, in other words you won't go wrong either way, but yes we loved our Premier room. It was in the Main Bldg (aka Bldg 3) so those rooms directly front the water. Our particular room, #3226, was close to Bldg 4 and overlooked the swim up bar. This is just to give you an overall sense of where we were located. The view was freaking incredible.

For the small difference in price, to us it was worth it. To others, I'm sure it would not matter in the least. Your call to make my friend.
    Ron

I also have severe foot and ankle problems - blame it on 10+ years of waitressing and genetics. Been to CN 9 times. Stairs don't bother me as much as just walking - every step is painful. You can get around CN with only having to use a couple stairs which all have railings. If you were to walk all the way around to the front of the lobby, I don't think you'll need stairs to access the lobby, gift shops or piano bar - could be wrong. I'd rather take the few stairs then walk all the way around. You can easily access the beach from a 1st floor room in building #1 by going out the patio door - only 1 step down off the patio or there would be about 3 steps down from the "hallway". There would also be about 3 steps up from the beach to the board walk, the pool or to the beach bar/grill areas and maybe 4 steps down into the pool. We don't necessarily like having a 1st floor room - kind of like the 3rd floor for more privacy and they seem brighter - so we don't request a floor. Everything is pretty compact and we have seen plenty of guests in wheelchairs. May be wrong but I do think CN has a room that is handicap accessible. You wouldn't have any problems with the restaurants. If you're planning on the AN beach - building 6 is closer. Building 1 would be closer to the spa, internet & game rooms, water sports and the bigger (best) hot tub. Too much walking through the beach sand may be a concern but the beach is beautiful and the swimming is like a a big old bathtub - there are no rocks - just sand and yes it is deep enough to get completely submerged but not for a distance. The swimming area is roped off. Once you find your "spot" for the day, there is the red flag service for beverages and she'll have you to make short errands. There is a restroom on the beach closer to the watersports, spa area.
    My biggest problem is the airport. Getting off the plane and walking to customs/immigration is quite a distance especially after sitting for hours - I have a hard time keeping up with the flow of foot traffic. I might recommend that you have a wheelchair arranged for your arrival or possibly bring a cane? Departure is just as bad as you're at the airport so long. If her feet and ankles swell, like mine, make sure to drink lots of water. She should wear comfortable shoes - not flip flops.
    We've never been to the other Couples so I can't comment on those except to say that, from what we've been told by other guests, CSA is too spread out for those who have difficulties walking. If your future bride would like to ask any questions about CN and/or the airport, she should e-mail me at jamdavis at centurylink dot net. You can't go wrong with CN!!!

Just my 2 cents - Jean

Ron ~ I'm sure you aren't aware of it if you didn't need it, but there is a sidewalk that goes from the lobby down to the beach level at CN. I know as one of our trips I fell and sprained my ankle and couldn't take any stairs. I found CN to be very handicap friendly. I just didn't find CTI as friendly since there are stairs that are from the lobby to the main level and then stairs to the beach. We were also in a building that didn't have an elevator so there were also stairs there. That's all I'm saying. CN is more handicap accessible than CTI especially if someone is trying to avoid stairs.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Yeah Juli, you hit the nail on the head. Even tho we were there for four and a half days, I never noticed the sidewalk/ramp that goes from the lobby to the beach. I'd go as far as to say it's a bit embarrassing that we never saw it. Granted, no one expects a guest to know a resort inside and out over a 4+ day period, but you'd think we would have at least spotted this at some point. It definitely would have kept me from posting my original response on this subject, or at the least I would have altered it accordingly.

As I said to Pamela, I'll say to you - I stand corrected. Many thanks for educating me a bit more on our beloved CN.
    Ron

Ron ~ No need to apologize. I didn't know about the path until our second stay at CN and we always stay at least 8 days and it was at the end of our 2nd stay that I found out about the pathway. You especially wouldn't have found it if you were in bldgs 1-5 and you also probably wouldn't have found the pathway in front of bldg 6 that goes directly onto the beach without any stairs. We've been there 3 times and the only reason I know where the nurses office is because I'm a klutz, otherwise I know I'd never have found that. So even though we've been there 3 times for over a total of 24 days, I'm sure there are still places that we are unaware of.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come