Default Donate to benefit the children of Jamaica and enter to win a 7 night stay

Greetings to all:

Every year we offer our loyal guests the opportunity to win a 7 night stay at one of our resort by making a donation in a raffle to benefit our own Issa Trust Foundation. www.issatrustfoundation.com

This year we are asking for donations of $100.00 to enter the raffle. Odds of winning depend on the number of donations, but I can tell you it's ALOT better than the Lottery and, btw, it is tax deductible and for a great cause.

To make your donation, please go to www.issatrustfoundation.com and click on the "Make a Donation" tab.

OFFICIAL RULES OF RAFFLE:
    The Couples Resorts’ Vacation Raffle (“Raffle”) is offered by the Issa Trust Foundation, a Florida non-for-profit corporation qualified under Sec. 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code to benefit families in Jamaica. Ticket price is $100.00. Multiple tickets may be purchased. Your payment may be made by cash, or check payable to Issa Trust Foundation (11902 Miramar Parkway, Miramar, FL 33025), or funds may be credited to Issa Trust Foundation against a donor’s charge account. All proceeds received from the Raffle donations will go directly and inclusively to the Issa Trust Foundation.

Terms, conditions and raffle tickets are void where local laws prohibit the terms listed, and refund may be given in written proof request prior to final drawing date. Donor need not be present to win. The winner of the raffle will be selected at random from eligible entries and will be notified by certified mail to the address given within 10 business days after the drawing of July 31, 2009. Issa Trust Foundation is not responsible for incorrect mailing addresses or lost mail. If winner does not accept prize by August 31, 2009, winner will forfeit prize and it will be awarded to next randomly drawn participant. By entering the Raffle, the winner agrees to have their name and ticket number publicized.

All proceeds from the Raffle will benefit the Issa Trust Foundation General Account. The odds of winning will be determined by the number of entries received. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age. Owners, employees, and employees’ immediate families (parents, spouses and children) of Issa Trust Foundation and Couples Resorts are not eligible to win.

Couples Resorts Vacation is valid for an 8 day/7 night all-inclusive (hotel only) trip for two for travel completed before July 31, 2010. Hotel voucher is non-refundable and non-transferable. Hotel voucher issued in conjunction with this promotion have zero cash value. The recipient shall be responsible for flights to and from Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay (MBJ). Couples Resorts provides roundtrip ground transportation between Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay (MBJ), Jamaica to chosen resort.

Hotel voucher may not be combined with any other coupon, vouchers, discounts, or promotional offers. Free Wedding & Renewal of Vows packages are not included. Couples Resorts is the final authority on the interpretation of these rules and reserve the right to change these terms and conditions without prior notice.

Thank you in advance for your generosity.

Randy Russell
    Chairman
    Issa Trust Foundation
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; July 3rd, 2009 at 09:07 AM.

Couples Resorts

Default Are these donations tax deductible?

Randymon: I know the question of these donations being tax deductible or not was raised on the old MB. I am a CPA but not a tax accountant. But I do believe that these type donations are not tax deductible based on the following information:

According to the IRS web site for publication 526 located at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526...blink100049608 and according to this part of that link:

Costs of raffles, bingo, lottery, etc. You cannot deduct as a charitable contribution amounts you pay to buy raffle or lottery tickets or to play bingo or other games of chance.

Please ask your tax folks to check into this. We don't want your organization or anyone getting in trouble for this.

Even if it is not tax deductible it is a great cause.

Kevin

It's only an issue IF you get audited which is a rare thing.

Make your donation and deduct it anyway! It's a great cause.

Randymon ~ Received my poster yesterday. I just love it. Got a bit squished in the mail, but I hope the framer can straighten it out.

Thanks again.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We received our poster on Saturday. It too was a little worse for wear, but we believe the framer will be able to get the wrinkles out. It is a great poster.

Got ours last week figured I would wait to open it until I take it to framer. With my luck I would rip it trying to get it out to sneak a peek! lol
    Erin N Steve (always Erin)

Received mine and love it! It too was a little squished in the middle. I was thinking it was my local ups that wasn't very careful but it's sounding to me it might be on the shipping out end. Still looks good though!

We received ours in excellent condition on Friday, as I said on the old message board. Thanks again, to Randymon and the great Couple Staff!

Default Donations for children

We wil be at CSA again in Oct. We have been buying a few school supplies and various things to bring with us for the kids in and around Negril. There was some discussion a few weeks ago on the old MB about declaring these type of items. I believe the question was whether or not to declare them, and if so, should they be declared as donations or gifts. If they are declared as donations, would we need to specify an organization even though that is not the intent. Can anyone help with this.

Default Donation vs gifts

I, too, would like more information on this please. How should we declare them, if we should at all, and what are the best items to bring?

Thanks for your help!

Kristi,
    When I bring supplies I just pack them in my bag and do not declare then because they will not be sold. I think you only need to declare things that are sold.

Default How many folks in the drawing on the 31st

Hi Randymon.
    How many folks ended up being in the drawing that is to be held on the 31st? Just wondering what all of our chances are. Wow that would be fantastic. I could suprise my hubby.

randymon
    seandymon

I thought the donation would be open for a few more weeks. Is there a way to donate without it being a credit card as the site wont accept them right now?
    Shane and Cathy

Randy
    Sean,

Can someone please explain what's going on with the raffle?

According to the official rules the drawing is to take place on July 31, 2009. I just went to the Issa Foundation website and a winner has already been announced - it is only July 14!

Greetings to all:

As a result of a legal issue with PayPal, we have been forced to stop the raffle immediately. We welcome your continued donations to Issa Trust Foundation for the benefit of the children of Jamaica, however, we are unable to proceed with any further raffle entries.

We appreciate everyone's contribution and regret the need for this action.

Couples Resorts

Sorry, but we are being directed by PayPal to discontinue this raffle. Some legal mumbo jumbo...

:-(

Couples Resorts

Randy,

Can we still donate even if it is not for the raffle, or will this take a while to be solved?

Thanks,

Linda

Have the winners of the raffle been named as yet?

KYcouple, I prepare taxes for H & R BLock (2nd job to pay for Couples), and you are right. Technically the puchase of raffle tickest are not deductible in the US on taxes. However (and I did not say this nor would I recommend it) if you do not tell your tax preparer they are for raffle tickets, and you do not get audited, you probably could get away with it. But, like you said this is a great cause.
    Linda