Default CTI first timers July 2010

Hi, My husband and I are coming to CTI for the first time for our five year wedding anniversary...

I have tons of questions!!!

What are the MUST does??? We plan on doing Dunns Falls...
    How far is Margaritaville from CTI?? is it worth going too?? What was your favorite restaurant?? Do they do any kind of celebration or anything for the 4th of July?? What kind of clothes do I need to bring for the evenings?? does it get chilly??

Thank you for any help!!
    Abby

We were at CTI for the first time in November on our honeymoon. In our opinion...

- Dunns River Falls is a must if you've never done it. We had a blast.
    - The horseback riding was great. Our guides were terrific and we took a ton of pictures. Definitely worth doing once.
    - Margaritaville is just up the road and can be combined with the Ocho shopping trip. We always go to a Margaritaville when there is one just because. They are pretty much the same although this one is right on the beach.
    - We enjoyed all of the restaurants for different reasons but our personal favorite was Bayside.
    - My wife didn't get cold at night, and that was in November.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

I can only answer a few of your questions, others will fill in on the anything else. As for the must do activities, you already mentioned DRF, so you got that one taken care of. I would also recommend the cat cruise and horseback riding. We weren't able to do the CC during our stay at CTI, altho we were able to do it in Negril. But from what everyone says, it sounds like a must-do, so conditions permitting, I say go for it. We did the horseback ride and while it's super tame, hey it's free and it was nonetheless fun. It does not go to the water tho, which is often the first question people ask about it. It's a planatation ride, very scenic and you learn a lot about the various foliage and crops that are grown in Jamaica.

The only non-inclusive excursion that we took was the Canopy Tour, aka the ziplines. We loved it, but it's not free, about $200 per couple, so if the budget is tight, at least you know this in advance. However at the excursions desk in the lobby, you'll see there are tons of other excursions/tours you can sign up for to your heart's content. I'm sure there are some that are not as costly.

Weather-wise, it should never be chilly, at least outside. From the time we were there in April, I don't think the temp was ever below the 70's, regardless of the time of day. Now they may have the AC turned up in this or that building, so many advise to at least bring a light sweater or wrap just in case.

The only restaurant where there is any type of dress code is 8 Rivers, but it's more like a nice sun/tropical dress for the ladies and long pants, buttoned shirt and shoes for the guys. Also 8 Rivers and Bayside require reservations, but you can make those as soon as you arrive if you so choose. We enjoyed these two restaurants immensely, as well as The Verandah, which does not require reservations, nor has a dress code. But as you might expect, this last one fills up fast and early. I would recommend either dining there early, as in when it opens, or late, as in an hour or so before it closes. The odds are that all the time in between you will be waiting.

There's a shuttle that takes you to Buffetville, but I think it only departs on Mondays, not sure about that. What's nice is they not only drive you there for fee, but pay for your entrance free as well. But you still gotta buy the drinks. We didn't go, so I can't offer any advice as to whether it was worth it. But the bottom line is I think CTI is a lot of fun, it's a very positive environment, there will be lots to do, and you'll meet a ton of great people, both from an employee and guest standpoint. Enjoy!
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I agree if you have time do the canopy tour it was a blast and worth doing. Horse back riding to me was a one timer but it was worth the experience of the plantation tour and meeting the guides.

The cat cruise to me is also a must if you do not get sea sick. We have a blast every time and usually get off the boat drunk! But it is well worth every glass of rum punch.

If you are a scuba diver or think you might have an interest do a dive or a couple dives with Colin and Rasta they are great at keeping a close watch on the divers and make you feel really comfortable diving.

Try not to think about how weird it is being around a bunch of naked people and try the island. My wife and I tried it when we got married four years ago. We were 23 at the time and this will be are third trip to CTI and we will def. be on the island.

All of the restaurants and dinning options are great. I have never had a bad meal there and I have always had to diet after our vacation due to at least a ten pound weight gain. It is a good thing the airports don't weigh us like they do our luggage.

I also got my first message at the Spa and I was nervous as heck. Almost as nervous as I was going to the island for the first time. That is now another one of my favorite experiences at CTI we usually do at least three one hour massages while we are there.

Don't forget to spend that quality time together. It is the most amazing place! Relax and no worries mon!

Dustin
    22 days and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by azcook View Post
    Hi, My husband and I are coming to CTI for the first time for our five year wedding anniversary...

I have tons of questions!!!

What are the MUST does??? We plan on doing Dunns Falls...Horseback riding. It is a nice peaceful ride up the mountain through the plantation with a demonstration, some time off the horse a view of the White River from above. Great photo ops. Cat cruise is fun also.
    How far is Margaritaville from CTI?? is it worth going too?? Warm beer, slow service and very pricy. If you really feel the need to go, find out when the shopping shuttle goes to Island Village and visit then. Otherwise, stop on your way home while waiting at the airport. For us not worth it.What was your favorite restaurant?? Hmmmm, 8 Rivers has melt in your mouth steak, Verandah incredible pumpkin soup--oh and the mushroom soup at 8 Rivers and oh oh the lobster at the Patio. I give up, no favorite. Do they do any kind of celebration or anything for the 4th of July?? Nope. Sorry. Last year they had a few flags around but that was it. What kind of clothes do I need to bring for the evenings?? does it get chilly?? I like sundresses or lose fitting attire for the evening. I do take a shawl and cotton sweater as the Piano Bar, Verandah and 8 Rivers all have AC and after a day in the sun, I chill easily. My hubby has long pants for 8 Rivers with a tropical print shirt or golf polo and nice shorts and polos or tropical print shirt for the others.

Thank you for any help!!
    Abby
    We are there July 3-10 for our 4th trip. When will you be there?
    Vicky