Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low carb drinks

Default Low carb drinks

I am a diet controlled pre-diabetic and am looking for low carb mixed drink options. Last year I drank way too many dirty bananas and paid for it. I know I especially need to avoid anything with simple syrup. I should add that I don't drink soda (don't like the carbonation).

Thanks in advance!

I drink Stoli and club soda (you could substitute water), then bring my own generic Crystal Light and mix it in. Ta da - Stoli and raspberry!!! Or whatever the flavor of the day is. I'm a diet controlled hypoglycemic and this works great for me.

Just watch out if you use a red drink mix in the wind - everything around you turns pink!! Towel, table, fingers...

I'll be in the same boat,low carb dieting though. I usually drink Bourbon and diet but here is another option.

The Skinny Margarita
    On the Rocks
    * 2 oz of clear Tequila (100% agave, Patron Silver)
    * (count 1, 2 while you pour, no need for measuring)
    * A splash of fresh lime juice
    * A splash of Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
    Combine all ingredients over a glass of ice
    Garnish with a lime wedge and salt (or sugar) if you’d like.

Baja Bobs (site online) makes great sugar free mixers. Lots of options.

I'm packing the Crystal Light individual packets (or Walmart version) too. You can also bring Splenda (or other sugar substitute) too. Lime juice, splenda, and tequila. Lime juice, mint, splenda and rum. Blue curacao, vodka, splash of cranberry. If you Google low carb drink recipes, there are some good tips for substituting the simple syrup. See you on the plane!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

straight vodka

What about rum and Diet Coke?

Default simple

keep it simple...barcardi and diet coke w/ lime.... zero carbs... zero calories

if you can handle "light" fizz, try appleton's, pineapple juice and club soda. To have it WITHOUT the fizz, sub water for the club soda. It's easy on the carbs and tastes great and refreshing.

I'm not diabetic, but don't like the sugary drinks. They make me feel yucky and I gain lots of weight when I drink them.

Have a great trip!
    Vee

Sorry to say that a rum & diet is not low carb. Rum is made from pure sugar cane.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pack my Crystal Light, since I don't drink Coke, club soda or anything like that. Amy - I'll search simple syrup substitutes. The margarita sounds yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Sorry to say that a rum & diet is not low carb. Rum is made from pure sugar cane.
    Rum does not contain carbs because the sugar used in the manufacturing process is fermented.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Sorry for the correction but rum IS a low carb alcohol. Here's how it works:

Rum does not have carbs in it because the starting sugar is fermented. That is how alcohol is created. Yeast eats the sugar and turns it into alcohol. Sugar is destroyed, alcohol is created.

Actually the brand "Bacadri" with diet coke as a mixer is only 19 calories and 4 carbs per 100 grams.

Default Nope. Rum IS carb free. :)

Even though Rum is made from sugarcane, by the time it gets to rum form, it's lost all the carbs. Go figure, huh? It still packs LOADS of calories, tho.

http://www.carbs-information.com/car...lcohol/rum.htm

We have a few diabetics coming to CN and I'm thinking of bringing some of those Baja Bob's sugar free singles along. Do you think the bartenders will blend them up for us? Does CN carry flavored vodkas, like Raspberry? A splash of that would be yummy in Crystal light lemonade!

Also, what is Stoli?

If rum doesn't have carbs, then what about vodka? Is is made from potatoes (usually, I know of one brand made from grapes).
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

one word..... vodka.... and omg I forgot about Dirty Bananas!!! Those alone are worth coming back for haha!

If rum doesn't have carbs, then what about vodka? Is is made from potatoes (usually, I know of one brand made from grapes).
    There are no carbs in vodka either. Hard liquors (e.g., whiskey, brandy, vodka, gin, rum, and tequila) don't have carbs.
    Last edited by Pamela; May 19th, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Same goes for vodka... the carbohydrates contained in the starches and sugars contained in the potatoes, or the wheat, beets, plywood (yes, plywood for the vodka moonshiners in eastern Europe and Russia) are broken down by the fermentation, leaving "bottoms", alcohol and water. Then its time to remove the bottoms, and then dessicate (or "dry") the remaining mixture of alcohol and water. The "proof", or percentage of alcohol, is governed by how much water is removed.

Yep, that's me... I do ethanol.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by blueyes5 View Post
    keep it simple...barcardi and diet coke w/ lime.... zero carbs... zero calories
    Ummm, not to burst your bubble, but rum is not calorie free. There is approx 70 calories per ounce of rum.

I don't think that the nutritional information is actually on a booze bottle, but you can usually look it up on the internet

Stoli is short for Stolichnaya, the russian vodka.

I am in the same situation...tbh I ignore it for my 2 weeks at CSA!!! Not sensible but fun...

As usual Chris is right
    Beer has carbs (13.2 g per 12 oz)
    Wine has some carbs also (1.8 g per 3.5 oz)
    Hard liquor is pretty low
    Tequila (0 g per 1 oz)
    Bourbon (0 g per 1 oz)
    Gin (0 g per 1 oz)

All information per Dr Atkins
    Enjoy
    John

I work in the medical field and have never heard of any alcohol beverage being promoted for diabetes. Pt. education encourages individuals to quite drinking. However, we are human and all know that this is a difficult task. I am not a diabetic and I would hate to give up my favorite beverages at couples. The healthier and more controlled a diabetic remains throughout the year will allow for a little more tolerance during vacations and the holidays. Below is some information you all may find useful.

Pure alcohol contains about 7 calories per gram, which makes it nearly twice as fattening as carbohydrates or protein (both contain about 4 calories per gram) and only just under the caloric value for fat (9 calories per gram).

Alcohol Item (serving size) Carbs (g)
    Beer, regular (12 fl oz) 13g
    Beer, light (12 fl oz) 4.5g
    Wine, red (3.5 fl oz) 1.75g
    Wine, rose (3.5 fl oz) 1.5
    Wine, white (3.5 fl oz) 1g
    Cider, dry (1 pint) 15g
    Gin, Rum, Vodka, Whisky (1 fl oz) 0g
    Sherry (2 fl oz) 3g
    Port (2 fl oz) 6g
    Guinness (1/2 pint) 4g

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast