Thread: Sunblock?

Default Sunblock?

Both me and my husband do not burn much and we live in TX but I am nervous about getting burned. Mainly because I dont want to be in bed any of the days! So anyway, I really dont know what SPF number to bring esp because I really want to still get a good tan. We do have a base tan now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'd start with SPF30, then after a few days go a bit lighter. Even though you live in TX, the sun will be higher and more intense...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Hi KayakChick,

Best practice these days seems to be, don't use anything less than SPF30.

In Canada it's almost impossible to find a sunscreen below SPF30 these days. GO with what suits you best, but if you really want to be carefree in the sun and not worry about burning I wouldn't go below SPF30. Your tan will be deeper and richer in the end, though maybe not as dark, it will probably last longer and you probably won't peel at all.

We spent 10 days at CN never using less than SPF45, mostly using from SPF70 to SPF50. We had good base tans but wanted to avoid any redness.

Here's a neat website that might be a helpful guide.

http://www.myskincheck.ca/index.asp

...you can't use too much sunscreen, but you can definitely use too little...

ENJOY!!!

I also got a base tan before our trip. I laughed and told my friends that I got a 90 SPF for my "whitey" husband and a 30 SPF for me. Well guess what.. I ran out of the 90 block on the 2nd day and I was the one using it! The sun was VERY intense and since I had to be in a wedding while at the resort, I also didn't want to get burned. This was our 4th trip to Jamaica, so you would think that I would have learned to bring more of the higher sun block. I ended up going to the gift shop at the hotel and paid about $18 USD for a 50 block. My suggestion would be the higher SPF, the better! Hope you have a great trip!!

While we're on the topic of sunscreen...how much should I bring for a week trip?

I believe I read somewhere that anything rated over SPF45 or SPF50 actually offers no additional protection. In other words, anything purported to be more than SPF50 is dubious, at best.

Personally, I would wear SPF"WhiteGuy" if it was offered... especially on the top of my feet... always seems to be the place that burns first... and the worst!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Remember, it's the protection from the additional, far more long term and dangerous aspects of sun exposure that you need to think about, not just burning when deciding what protection to use.

Speaking of applying sunblock to the tops of your feet, remember the top side of your hands. My friend took one of the famous Couples foaties out into the beautiful Caribbean Sea and suffered a pretty severe burn on both of his hands. He was out for about an hour and applied lots of sunblock, but forgot his hands. He ended up having to visit the hotel nurse for some first aide.

We used five bottles of the Neutrogena cooling mist, SPF45 when we were there. We still burned. Next time we are going to get a "sport" type of sunblock, and apply it more often. Our sunscreen claimed it was waterproof and sweatproof, but I doubt it.

As pale pasty girl I spend a lot of time thinking about sunscreen. The biggest issue that i see often is that people do not apply enough sunscreen, and if you arent wearing enough then even the highest spf wont give adequate protection. For the body, one should be applying 1 ounce...or the size of a shot glass. For the face, it should be about 1/4 teaspoon. 1/4 teaspoon doesnt sound like much, but if you actually get out a measuring spoon, its way more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that anything rated over SPF45 or SPF50 actually offers no additional protection. In other words, anything purported to be more than SPF50 is dubious, at best.

Personally, I would wear SPF"WhiteGuy" if it was offered... especially on the top of my feet... always seems to be the place that burns first... and the worst!
    Yeah. I've heard that too, but my skin seems to know the difference. I used to use SPF30 when we went kayaking and my neck would always get at least a little red. When I use SPF50 or higher I don't get red at all. I haven't tried SPF30 when in Jamaica but I don't burn or get the least bit red when I use SPF50 or higher.

ENJOY!!!

We also go with good base tans and will start the trip out on SPF 30, but by the end of our time there (2 weeks) I've stopped using sunscreen altogether except for my face and I never burn, but then I also tan very easily.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

My wife and I went through almost exactly 16 oz. of sunscreen over a week. I know because we traveled with carry-on luggage only, and we brought and used exactly five 3.2 oz. tubes. I burn easily, and my wife doesn't. We found a kind called "blue lizzard" that really stays on, even in water. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it and obviously cant wait for our trip in a week and a half. YAY!

We're from TX and never used less than SPF 30 and still burned!

Default what kind is best?

my wife burns really bad every time we go to jamaica. we always use like a spf 50 that claims to be waterproof/sweatproof. does anyone know which brand/kind stays on the best?

I have always had good results in Jamaica with Ocean Potion SPF 50. I tan but don't burn.

We always use Coppertone Sport, the lotion kind not the spray, and it has always worked great for us. We apply in the morning before heading for breakfast and then again after lunch. We spend a fair amount of time in the water snorkeling, SCBUA, or just lounging and still that's the only time we apply and it seems to hold up great.

Interesting how not one person mentioned environmentally friendly sunscreen. In some regions it's required.

HERE IS THE BEST SUNBLOCK OF ALL TIMES. If you live in Texas go to Walmart or we found it at HEB this year too. Get the Bull Frog pump spray (not aresol). It is in a green bottle. Bull Frog Quick Gel Sport Spray. UV extender. We leave in 11 days. We will bring probably 4 bottles. We will be there for 10 days. If we have any left over we always find someone to leave it with. We swear on this stuff. It is waterproof. We always just go out on the balcony before we get dressed and spray down everywere with it. I even spray my hair because I burn on the part. I promise you won't go wrong with this stuff.

I start off with SPF 50 for the first few days ( with multiple reapplication during the day). By day 3 I start mixing in the SPF 30, by day 7 I mix in SPF 15. I burn, my wife tans, but even she will start off with 50.

I'd rather have an extra day or two of having to use SPF50 multiple times a day, than to not use it and spend the first few nights in pain, and not able to dance or enjoy the vacation, because of preventable sunburn...

If you like to swim, then get the water proof variety.

i'm rather partial to the sunscreen oils. I think they stay on better and last longer than the lotions.

I like the "kiss my face spray oil spf30" for my husband, andI use the banana boat spf15 for me. Used it for 9 days at CSA, and I didn't burn at all.

V

Had good luck with coppertone spf 50, just make sure you reapply whatever you get a few times a day.
    ARE WE THERE YET??