Default Shuttle/Transport Questions

We are arriving on May 27 with a group of four couples. Although 3 couples will be together on the short flight from Miami to MBJ the fourth couple will be meeting us at the Lounge since they arrive in JA a couple days earlier.

Because we will have a lot of chatting and catching up to do we would like to try to get a van (or other transport) that will take just the 8 of us. We don't want to split up but also don't want to be on a large bus.

Can or will Couples arrange for us to have a medium size van? Or can we hire a private ride that will fit 8? How much should that be?

Thanks for your help!

Why not just meet the other couple at the hotel?

Ok... first off, the shuttle is the shuttle, and its size depends on what is available at the time, and number of folks headed to Ocho Rios or Negril's Couples Resorts. However, you can arrange a private shuttle through Couples' online concierge (if that service still exists). The price was $90 for this extra a few months ago.

Failing that, yes, you CAN arrange a private transfer. A number of them maintain a web presence, but you're on your own dime there, too (of course). Hint... www.negril.com.

Good luck!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

The shuttles that they use only seat about 4-5 couples. So worse comes to worse, there will be one other couple in the van with you. They don't hire those huge buses. They are more like over sized mini-vans.

Also, the couple that is meeting you at the lounge actually will not be able to meet you at the lounge as that is a secure area that can not be reached after a person has left the airport. They will be able to tell a guard that they are there and waiting for transport, but they won't be able to join you in the lounge.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I would not worry, most likely you will all be on the same bus. Just hang out together in the lounge. If not, no worries, it is only a short ride, and then you have tons of time to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by SNW View Post
    We are arriving on May 27 with a group of four couples. Although 3 couples will be together on the short flight from Miami to MBJ the fourth couple will be meeting us at the Lounge since they arrive in JA a couple days earlier.

Because we will have a lot of chatting and catching up to do we would like to try to get a van (or other transport) that will take just the 8 of us. We don't want to split up but also don't want to be on a large bus.

Can or will Couples arrange for us to have a medium size van? Or can we hire a private ride that will fit 8? How much should that be?

Thanks for your help!
    The couple that is already there will not be able to come into the lounge. The buses aren't large for the most part, 10-12 passenger. The couple that is already there may be able to hire a van for just your group and meet you in the parking lot. The driver for that van may be able to come into greet you and take you to the van from the lounge.

Even when guests do a split and use the airport transportation for the transfer between resorts they are not allowed to go back into the airport in the arrivals area.
    Vicky

The fourth couple will have to pay for transportation to and from the airport. Couples does provide a free shuttle from and to the airport, but only once not twice. The vans are from a private company and Couples pays them per person.

I agree with the previous poster, just meet the other Couple at the hotel and do your chatting and catching up?

" the fourth couple will be meeting us at the Lounge since they arrive in JA a couple days earlier."

Not possible..... the Lounges are in the Arrivals area, outside Customs and Immigration, which is secured for Arriving passengers only. So they will have to wait outside in the Shuttle/Van/Taxi...

Are they already going to be at Couples or are they coming from another hotel?

If they are staying in Negril or Ochi, I agree they should just wait to see you when you arrive at the hotel....I'd want to spend my 4th day in Jamaica on the beach, not shuttling back and forth to the airport.
    Last edited by WandA; May 19th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

We will all be meeting at the Couples Lounge. Some in our group have not met and others have not seen each other in a long time. We want the time on the drive to acquaint and re-acquaint.
    How is that best accomplished; via Couples arrangements or private? And if private is better, about how much should we expect to pay?

I am assuming that it is easier for the Couple that you will be meeting up with to get to Sangster. I know in the past there have been times when we were the only couple on the van. Last year there was only one other couple on the van.

I tell you all this, because I am pretty sure that they can accommodate you at the airport. So that you are all together on the van.

I think Couples can accommodate the 8 of you in a medium size van easily. No problem mon.

Oy.

I don't think they will order a special van, limo or bus for you guys. You could share a cab, but you won't get 8 people in a Jamaican cab. I recommend that you all just load up on the shuttle bus like everyone else does. They only seat about 16 and they are rarely full. You would have no problem "chatting and catching up" on the shuttle. I also agree with Beth above. Just have the earlier arriving couple meet you at the lobby when you arrive. Get your rooms and arrange to have dinner together. There really is no need to go through all the hassle you are describing for your meet up. Relax, it's Jamaica. Go with the flow and have fun. You will all have plenty of time to get together on the beach, at meals, the cat' cruise and all sorts of other opportunities.

I also hope that you manage to find time to spend as "couples" while at Couples. That's one of the best parts of a Couples vacation... the couples part...

Did that make any sense to anyone other than me?

"Did that make any sense to anyone other than me? "

YES !! Especially the "Oy"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ok... first off, the shuttle is the shuttle, and its size depends on what is available at the time, and number of folks headed to Ocho Rios or Negril's Couples Resorts. However, you can arrange a private shuttle through Couples' online concierge (if that service still exists). The price was $90 for this extra a few months ago.

Failing that, yes, you CAN arrange a private transfer. A number of them maintain a web presence, but you're on your own dime there, too (of course). Hint... www.negril.com.

Good luck!
    Thank you! This answer is very helpful.
    I really just couldnt remember the size of the vans that are most common. Since it seems like it shouldnt be a problem for 8 of us to be together I don't think that we will go with the private transport route.