Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Safe to travel to Jamaica

We are heading to CSA on June 2. Should I be worried about what is currently going on in Kingston?

Unrest in Kingston is very far removed from our resorts. We do not anticipate any problems in Ocho Rios or Negril.

As always, we look forward to welcoming you home soon.

Couples Resorts

Default the final countdown

We are getting excited and counting down the days to relaxing on the beach. This will be our first trip to Jamaica and can't wait. We are less than one week away!!

Quote Originally Posted by lkissinger View Post
    We are heading to CSA on June 2. Should I be worried about what is currently going on in Kingston?
    .....Doesn't sound like it's good in Kingston;

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/wo...24jamaica.html

No, long way to Kingston geographically and emotionally

Default Safe Travel to Jamaica

Hi. We were worrying about the unrest in Kingston also. Glad to know the resorts are not anticipating any problems. Does this also mean the airport in Montego Bay and the roads to the resort are ok too?
    Thanks....

We leave for CN on June 2nd and were also wondering about the safety at the Montego Bay Airport and the road to the resort with what is going on in Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by lkissinger View Post
    We are getting excited and counting down the days to relaxing on the beach. This will be our first trip to Jamaica and can't wait. We are less than one week away!!
    ....You're gonna love it. We went to CN last Fall for my daughter's wedding. Going to CSS in October.

I do not wish to downplay the situation, but as this discussion continues, please remember that an overwhelming amount of the Jamaican economy is based on the tourism dollar. Not being Jamaican or currently in Jamaica to get a true feeling of what is going on, I am at somewhat of a disadvantage. However, I would think that the Jamaican government will take the necessary steps to protect and preserve their tourism industry. That being said, if enough crazy people get together and get the mob mentality flowing, who knows what will happen. As a foreign travelor, one must always keep this in mind. As for me personally, my wife and I will board a plane on June 5th and walk off that plane in MoBay with a huge smile on our face and not a worry in the world.

If your concerns stay at a high level, may I suggest looking at a map. While Jamaica is certainly a mobile country, it is a long way from Kinston to Ochi and ever further to Negril. After reading the NY Times article, it sounds like this problem will stay localized in the Kingston area.
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Thank you! My fiance and I are headed there for our June 6 honeymoon and had the same worry.
    Sean & Bekah Walsh

We saw a short report on this on the morning news. My wife asked if I thought it was still safe to go to CSA in three weeks. I told her that was like asking if it was still safe to go to Branson because there was recently a surge in crime in Chicago. Maybe not the best analogy, but the point is that I don't believe there will be much affect on our trip to CSA through MoBay. I would not be surprised to see additional security at the airport, or at least a more visible presence than normal, but I am not fearful for our safety. In fact I am hoping that this has blown over and been resolved, for the sake of the people in Kingston, by the time we leave.

Looking forward to returning home to CSA in June!

Just be aware, things happen all the time everywhere. If it was not safe to travel there the wonderful government would step in and issue warnings for travelers. Have a great trip no worries but do be aware of your surrounding when not on the resort.

I was worried about this too. We are leaving Saturday for 10 days in Jamaica. We will be at CSS part of the time and CN the rest. Glad to know that its as safe as it can be. I would risk a lot to come home to Jamaica.

From someone who's in Negril... there is an awareness of what's going on... but details are sketchy unless you look for them. We feel perfectly safe, and security is keeping an eye on things. No worries here, and there should be none there in the States (or Europe) to keep you from coming in.

Its worth monitoring, but beyond that, I'm keeping the rum flowing.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by sndtrevino View Post
    Just be aware, things happen all the time everywhere. If it was not safe to travel there the wonderful government would step in and issue warnings for travelers. Have a great trip no worries but do be aware of your surrounding when not on the resort.
    They have issued an alert in the UK, Canada and USA, but it applies to tourists visiting Kingston
    Not Negril.
    Last edited by WandA; May 25th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.

I myself am not worried about my safty at CSA or even the trip to the resort. If the situation gets worse I may decide to stay on the resort this time as we like to leave daily for walks and exploreing. For now I will go about my plans as usual and see what the next month brings!

Default Us too!

Quote Originally Posted by bekahchica View Post
    Thank you! My fiance and I are headed there for our June 6 honeymoon and had the same worry.
    Good Morning Bekah What resort are you calling home 6/6-6/13? My wife and I will be celebrating our first anniversary at CN the same dates If you will be joining us we should meet up for a congratulatory drink!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    We saw a short report on this on the morning news. My wife asked if I thought it was still safe to go to CSA in three weeks. I told her that was like asking if it was still safe to go to Branson because there was recently a surge in crime in Chicago. Maybe not the best analogy, but the point is that I don't believe there will be much affect on our trip to CSA through MoBay. I would not be surprised to see additional security at the airport, or at least a more visible presence than normal, but I am not fearful for our safety. In fact I am hoping that this has blown over and been resolved, for the sake of the people in Kingston, by the time we leave.

Looking forward to returning home to CSA in June!

This is kind of my feeling too......here in the states, you wouldn't hesitate to go to Florida because of riots in California....If you were going near Kingston, it would be a concern, but Ochi and Negril are far removed. Certainly worth watching but not worth changing trip plans, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine1691 View Post
    Good Morning Bekah What resort are you calling home 6/6-6/13? My wife and I will be celebrating our first anniversary at CN the same dates If you will be joining us we should meet up for a congratulatory drink!!
    That would be awesome, but we will be in CSS Happy Anniversary!
    Sean & Bekah Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    They have issued an alert in the UK, Canada and USA, but it applies to tourists visiting Kingston
    Not Negril.
    You are correct on the Travel Alert not warning diference being it is deemed short term as opposed to long term similar to one issued for travel to Iraq. Of not for everyone concerned the same parish or neighborhood in Kingston which is far removed has been on the State departments website as an area to use extreeme caution when in and around, again be careful pay attention to your surroundings and everyting will be irie. here is an article stating how the violence is far removed from the resorts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37320150..._news-americas

Hubby is worried about this, as well. He said that when he went to give blood this AM & told the tech about him being in Jamaica last Aug & planning on going this Aug, he she seemed to look at him as tho he were going into a war zone...oy

(Randymon Here: The unrest is limited to a very small neighborhood in Kingston. Our resorts are hours away and not experiencing ANY problems. We look forward to welcoming you home to Couples Resorts soon.)

wileeandrr...are you seriously going to worry because a virtual stranger gave your husband an odd look? This person only knows what they've heard via news stories which attempt to sensationalize everything...would you watch the news if they just recited it in monotone? If this person has no interest in Jamaica then they had no interest in researching the situation beyond the story they heard and of course it seems odd to them that anyone would go. You on the other hand are the one doing the travelsing and should have done at least a little research...how big is the island and roughly where are the major cities located would be a logical start. Now that you know there is "something" going on it would also be logical that you do a little more research and be able to quell the fears of folks such as that person at the blood bank rather than letting it work the other way and them worrying you.

I just have to say I’m getting so tired of all the ignorance about what’s going on in Jamaica. I’m so glad there are so many people here who understand the difference between part of a city and the resort areas miles away. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about those who don’t know and are concerned, and intelligent enough to ask about it (then become reassured). I’m talking about all those people who go around without a clue saying that all of Jamaica isn’t safe and people should cancel their vacations (months away even!), blah blah blah... I wish people would stop the paranoia! I’m sick of explaining that it’s like having an incident in one (bad) part of your own city and putting out an advisory for the entire country! How ridiculous would that be? That's why the advisories are just for sections of Kingston. Why, or why can't people pay attention?

Me, I'm just as excited about returning to Jamaica (and Couples) as ever!

Here is the link to the American Embassy in Jamaica. You all want to consider using it as a resource for travel. I have to agree with Randymon that from what I have read there should not be any problems and we are looking forward to being welcomed home. Eight days and counting.

http://kingston.usembassy.gov/

From Montego Bay to Ochos Rios you do not drive through or even around Kingston.

I am a little concerned as well, just a little. Me and my fiancee' will be coming on July 9th. I know that Kingston is far away from Ocho, so I am trying not to worry. We were considering pushing back the wedding. I see that there are other couples who are going anyway. Can someone share their experience when they return??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast