Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here is the website to register your trip with the State Department. You can sign up for email updates at the same time:

https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaShymecca View Post
    I am a little concerned as well, just a little. Me and my fiancee' will be coming on July 9th. I know that Kingston is far away from Ocho, so I am trying not to worry. We were considering pushing back the wedding. I see that there are other couples who are going anyway. Can someone share their experience when they return??
    I'm here now and you wouldn't know that anything was going on if you never turned on the news or a computer. Relax and enjoy!! Kingston is on the south shore and HOURS away from any of the Couples resorts. Montego Bay is on the completely opposite side of the island and like others said, you don't have to go near Kingston on either trip. Hope this eases your mind.

Thanks, Randymon!
    sherrynchuck...nah, I'm not worried at all. Hubby just was telling me about that yesterday & wanted to know what the scuttlebutt was these days on the boards or anywhere else I was keeping up with the news.
    Oh, we are definitely going & I'm looking forward to my second trip to Couples, first to CSS! Oh, and celebrating our 16 anniv, as well!
    Last edited by wileeandrr; May 26th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Default Violence is isolated but.....

We normally stay at Swept but are bringing the kids this time and will be at Beaches Sandy Bay in Negril on Saturday. I know the violence is isolated for now but from what I understand Coke has connections all over Jamaica. My concern is Goldings alleged ties to this guy. Is there any chance of widespread violence? Having the kids along makes this even more concerning for us.

I'm with Jamaicamecrazy and the others who have said don't worry....It's one very small area, very far away from the resorts. Just like anything else, a little common sense goes a long way. If you were going to Kingston, I would avoid that area and POSSIBLY reconsider the trip, but your Couples vacation should not be a concern to ANYONE. Randymon has done a GREAT job on all of the threads to try to answer the concerns, over and over and over again. If you're that afraid, you should cancel, but if you are, you probably can't travel anywhere because there is violence all over. Unfortunately this is more public right now, but I would never even consider giving up our vacation to Couples because of trouble in Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine1691 View Post
    Good Morning Bekah What resort are you calling home 6/6-6/13? My wife and I will be celebrating our first anniversary at CN the same dates If you will be joining us we should meet up for a congratulatory drink!!
    My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary the 6th - 12th at CN.
    See ya at the Bar.

Matt and Amber

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
    I just have to say I’m getting so tired of all the ignorance about what’s going on in Jamaica. I’m so glad there are so many people here who understand the difference between part of a city and the resort areas miles away. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about those who don’t know and are concerned, and intelligent enough to ask about it (then become reassured). I’m talking about all those people who go around without a clue saying that all of Jamaica isn’t safe and people should cancel their vacations (months away even!), blah blah blah... I wish people would stop the paranoia! I’m sick of explaining that it’s like having an incident in one (bad) part of your own city and putting out an advisory for the entire country! How ridiculous would that be? That's why the advisories are just for sections of Kingston. Why, or why can't people pay attention?

Me, I'm just as excited about returning to Jamaica (and Couples) as ever!
    Thank you, apparently YOU said it better than I can ...LOL

Me and my hubby are traveling on the 7th of June and had some concerns. I have been keeping up to date with the news and understand that the conflict is confined to Kingston.

Also, after reading many of the postings here, even from people who are in Jamaica right now, really helped me.

I was considering postponing our trip, but have changed my mind.

Thanks again guys.

My fiance & I are scheduled to arrive at CSA on 06/27 and we are getting married the 29th. My parents are expressing HIGH concerns that we should cancel(because they are coming with us) and I am torn. I have read ALL of the posts and totally understand that it is far away, but my main concern is... what if this escalates, we do not cancel and go to a different resort and when it IS time to leave our flight is cancelled or we are not permitted access to the country? Is anyone else concerned at that level? My entire wedding will be ruined.

I am glad that there r people at the resort actually repling to peoples concerns. I know that Kingston is far from Negril and Ocho Rios so, I personally would not b worried. But sometimes people want to hear from other people that r actually in the position to safe whether it's safe or not. It's easy for me to say don't worry and go on vacation. I am @ work in Chicago. But when Chris and Musicalrose say that they r currently there and everything is okay, then to me that's a whole different thing. They r in Jamaica having a great time and a Bob Marley for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole1204 View Post
    My fiance & I are scheduled to arrive at CSA on 06/27 and we are getting married the 29th. My parents are expressing HIGH concerns that we should cancel(because they are coming with us) and I am torn. I have read ALL of the posts and totally understand that it is far away, but my main concern is... what if this escalates, we do not cancel and go to a different resort and when it IS time to leave our flight is cancelled or we are not permitted access to the country? Is anyone else concerned at that level? My entire wedding will be ruined.
    Sounds like you need a little reassurance. Breathe relax tell your folks everything will be iere. It is far removed, and everting will be alright. Enjoy your wedding and stay at CSA I will be there at the same time and we WILL have a good time.

nicole1204:

If you have been following the events in the news, the violence seems to be subsidding considerably. While a scary situation, please keep in mind this is not a "war" but a police and criminal action. Granted, this guy seems to have a lot of juice and a small army of armed thugs of his own, but still this is an isolated incident in Kingston that has very little chance of spreading beyond the neighborhood strongholds that are the headquarters of this particular group of criminals.

Your parents concern is understandable, but also a bit over the edge. While promises can not be made I will tell you that we are leaving in just over two weeks for our trip to CSA and we are not even considering a cancellation or postponement. I am confident that by the 27th of June this will be viewed as an historical event. The political ramifications may be ongoing for some time to come. But I think the fighting will be over with quite soon.

Relax, all of you, and have a great trip. Oh, and congratulations on the upcoming wedding. You will all love CSA!
    Last edited by dirtleg; May 27th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

I'm there in jamaica in August and I just hope all is well with all the islanders. kingston people are in my prayer and so is my trip. My Big Daddy and I will be getting married on the 14 of August and at this point, I feel like a union like our's no man can tear apart, because aint nothing any man can take apart that the lord put together. "No Worries Mon". Let go, and let Jah. It'll work out for all of the Couples Family, you'll see. We just need to keep prayer first and not fear.
    Not meaning to preach, but hey, I'm more worried about life as a whole then a mishap of misconduct in the streets. Let us just relax and be happy, I mean that's why we choose Couples in the first place right, is to have no worries but to just be happy...

Quote Originally Posted by nicole1204 View Post
    ....This sounds to be a drug gang war with the police in Kingston. NOT a revolution. Would you cancel a vacation to Denver because of gang violence in LA?

Default Just Returned from CTI May 29

We just returned, and there were no problems at the resort, on the way to the resort or on the way back to the airport. We felt very safe the whole time. No worries!

First of all, I wish I was worrying about whether or not to go to Negril or Ocho Rios. I'm stuck home with a broken foot and have been reading the NY Times and Washington Post and the Jamaican Gleaner, regarding the Coke extradition case. It would appear that the violence is confined not only to just Kingston, but to one neighborhood within Kingston, Tivoli Gardens. The police are intent on rooting out this drug dealer for extradition to the US and his followers are committed to the police not finding him. That's pretty much it. Kingston is 153 miles from Negril and 119 miles from Montego Bay. As long as you are not flying into Kingston, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Enjoy your vacation. Negril and Ocho Rios are beautiful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2