Default Charges on Credit Card

This has been discussed before, but....we got charged for a foreign currency fee on our credit card. This was for booking through couples. We called the credit card company, but they wouldn't take it off.

My question is will all of my charges in Jamaica have this fee? Has anyone experienced being charged a fee on transactions in Jamaica? I would imagine they will charge this fee every time.

Quote Originally Posted by rcl153 View Post
    This has been discussed before, but....we got charged for a foreign currency fee on our credit card. This was for booking through couples. We called the credit card company, but they wouldn't take it off.

My question is will all of my charges in Jamaica have this fee? Has anyone experienced being charged a fee on transactions in Jamaica? I would imagine they will charge this fee every time.
    rcl how much was it it? couldnt have been more then a few bucks to off set any FX price swings ( translation extortion profits) .... dont sweat it you just got back after spendding $$$ a few extra shinkles is nothing to get upset about

Change Credit Cards to Capital One and you will not have any fees.

I don't want to change my card and I am not upset. I just want to know if anyone has been charged a fee every time they charge something in Jamaica. I also know that I can call my credit card company and find out.

We usually don't bring much cash, but may need to this time. Just trying to decide how much.

I have been to Jamaica 10 times and have never been charged this fee before and have booked in various ways. It was about $100.

We leave Tuesday for CSA. Been there before and know we will love it.

I don't profess to knowing what credit card companies will do.
    But my CC company told me the fees are a % of each charge, so it really doesn't matter if it is each time or overall as it pretty much works out the same. (If I charge $100 five separate times and the fee is 5%-$5 x 5 charge is $25, or 5% of $500 still is $25)
    I don't understand the charge for booking thru Couples as their headquarters are in Florida and last I looked, Florida was not a foreign country. And a % of the cost of the trip IS a pretty hefty charge.
    Last time I think the fee was %3. We take several hundered in cash, charge to the room and pay it all off when we leave so no CC charge.

The "Foreign Transaction fee" that you were charged is a new charge in the last few months by many charge card companies. Each card has a different percentage that they charge, but I would think that if they are charging it once, they will charge it each time you charge something there. Not all cards are doing the charge. I know that our AARP visa is not. I haven't checked on our Discover yet.
    Linda

Hi Kid,
    I'm confused. What do you mean by FX price swings? These transactions are in American dollars, not foreign currency. There is no reason for these fees except to feather the nest of the CC companies and the fact that they can get away with it in a foreign country.

rcl153 ~ To answer your original question, yes you will be charged each time you charge something in Jamaica. We avoid the fee by bringing lots of money with us and just pay cash for everything.

We also avoided the charges that Couples charges us for reservations by sending in a check for the final payment. I did put the down payment on the CC, but was not too happy with the foreign transaction fee so I just sent them a check for final payment. I too do not understand why the reservations go through Jamaica instead of Florida. Seems like a simple fix for Couples and would be greatly appreciated by guests.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come