Hybrid View

Default Tips for connecting through Philadelphia to Jamaica

I am connecting through Philadelphia airport today (here now). Please note that there is some taxiway construction. If you are connecting through Philly on your way to Jamaica, do not even THINK of leaving less than an hour for your connection. It took our plane a full 15 minutes to taxi to the gate after landing because of congestion and avoiding the construction.

Check to see if you are flying a smaller regional jet or turboprop into Philly (this information will be listed on your flight confirmation). If you are, in most cases you will be arriving at the "F" concourse. Because you will most likely be connecting during the busy morning rush hour, add another 15 minutes to wait for a shuttle and then ride the shuttle to (most likely) the A concourse. If you are arriving at the B or C concourse, you will not need to take a shuttle to the A concourse, but it is still a long walk (there are moving sidewalks).

So, again, please make sure you have at least an hour layover in Philly if you have a connecting flight there on your way to Jamaica. On your return trip, leave at least 1 1/2 hours (I prefer 2 hours in Philly on a return international flight).

Thanks for the helpful tip, BobandJudy !! We're flying through Philly (yuck, yuck, yuck....but it was cheaper than through CLT) on our way to Mexico in July, and I'm sure they'll still be doing the construction in 7 weeks. But luckily we have 1.35 & 2.5 hr layovers so we should be good.

Jackie

Jackie - it is so true about USAirways charging more on flights that connect through Charlotte vs. Philly or the other hubs. It seems like they KNOW that people would prefer to transfer through Charlotte, so they charge way more for it. Good luck with the flight to Mexico!

HA, you might have a point there !!

We connected thru Philly this past March and had no problems, the shuttle bus took us very close to our departing gate.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Paul & Sue - that is great that you did not have a problem. I frequently connect through Philly - sometime there are issues, sometimes not. However, I do think that the taxiway construction is new since March, and I really just wanted to encourage everyone to leave at least an hour on their connection.

Bob and Judy,
    That is good advice anytime you go to an airport,I would rather sit a while and not have to run or risk missing a flight.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Another question for those that go thru Philly regularly, How long is the construction suppose to last?
    ARE WE THERE YET??