Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bee problem at CSA or CN?

Okay, so I was all set to book CSA, but decided to compare it with CN just to be sure I was picking well. I saw a review on another site that said there is a really bad bee problem at CSA. They said everytime they got a drink, the bees would dive right in.

I had this problem in Los Cabos and it made for a really unpleasant vacation. We basically stuck to beer since they took one whiff and left. If we had a sweet drink, we had to have it delivered poolside, where we immediately had to go to the middle of the pool (since they didn't follow there) to enjoy it.

I did a search here and saw that it was around the self serve drink machines. Can anyone tell me if it's just around the self serve or with any sweet drinks? Thanks!

We were there April 1st & never saw a bee anywhere. Razzl

The only bee problem at SweptAway is that we can't "bee" here 24-7-365.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

This seems to be an occasional issue and not occurring all the time. But yes, it does center around the self-serve soft drink dispensers and not throughout the grounds. And at that it is more an emotional than a safety issue. I have read very few reports of anyone actually having a physical confrontation with the little buggers. Usually if there is a breeze blowing they will not gather, but it is a possibility on still days. Could also depend on the time of year. I have not read any comments as yet that I would call authoritative on the subject.

" saw a review on another site that said there is a really bad bee problem at CSA. They said everytime they got a drink, the bees would dive right in.
    I had this problem in Los Cabos and it made for a really unpleasant vacation "

Don't worry, we saw that in Cabo too, huge swarms of them - and they were agressive !
    - but the Bees in Negril seem to just hover around the self serve soda/juice machines. You don't even have to use those machines- you can avoid them altogether.

We have been to CSA four times - always in either January or February, and have only noticed the bees around the self-serve soft drink machines. I have never seen swarms of them around the beach bars, which the author of the TA review complains about. It could be that the bee situation is worse at certain times of the year, but I have not experienced it.

I would like to note that this particular TA poster is a whack-nut. She can't understand why something isn't done about the bees? Like what?? Exterminate them and expose everyone to harmful chemicals, even though bees are not nasty predators? She also complained that the restaurants had set schedules, that the bartenders "don't know how to make a good mixed drink," and that it was "very inconvenient" that the spa and fitness center were located all the way across the street! This is obviously a very high maintenance person who also doesn't have enough smarts to do her homework ahead of time. Enuff said.

We've been to CSA 2X in December and 1X in March. In March we did not see any bees, but both December trips there were quite a few, both at the self serve stations and at the beach bars. They didn't seem to follow to the chairs or tables so once you left with your drink you were fine. Like everyone said, they are not aggressive and you can avoid them by either sending hubby or using the green flag service.
    I could definitely see how if you are scared of or allergic to bees this would put a damper on your trip...but barring that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a minor annoyance in an otherwise fabulous vacation.

Default Bees in December

Hi,

We go to CN and CSA in December, and yes, there are bees around the soda machines at both resorts. I spoke with management about the problem, and they told me December is "between flower seasons", and it is usually more of a problem at that time of year. It's not huge swarms of them, but they are present - I'd say dozens rather than swarms.

At CN, the bees are around the self-serve drink machine on the beach, and also around the pastry table in Cassava Terrace for breakfast. Last December, they tried using fans to keep them at bay around the pastries, and it worked somewhat. The pastries at CSA are further back inside the Palms, and we didn't see many there. Again, they keep fans going to discourage the little buggers.

I heard of a couple of stings last December at CN. I got stung at CSA a couple of years ago, but it was on my balcony - more of an accidental drive-by. I didn't suffer any ill effects.

Don't let this affect your decision. It's really more of an annoyance than a safety issue, unless you're allergic.

Beergirl

We were there last week, and didn't see a single bee.

Accidental Drive-By? More like an accidental Fly-By. HA HA HA, yeah I know, shut up.

Bees are nuts in Nov and Dec. Never seen them on our Mar and April trips.

Quote Originally Posted by nursek View Post
    We were there last week, and didn't see a single bee.
    It's Couples, they always travel in pairs.
    nobody's favorite poster

We just got back on Friday and yes, there is a bee problem there. I felt like I was always trying to swat them away. They are on the beach and even in the bar huts. That was one downfall to sitting on the beach was the bees. BEE careful!

Haven't seen a bee here... plenty of mosquitoes though!!

We have only been there in April but we didn't see any at that time. The only bugs we had problems with were the sand fleas. We are still dealing with them! We have been back for a month and I still wake up with bites every morning no matter what I do. They must come home with you if they get into your clothes or room. We really didn't hang out on the beach at all this last trip but we were waking up with a ton of bites all over our arms, legs, torsos and faces every day. I would trade this for bees any day since the bees don't come home with you!

we visit CN in Dec. There is a bee problem when you drink sweet drinks, but I would expect that anywhere. They seem to be around the bars a good bit, but there are a lot of sweet drinks and mixes there. You will get one near your drink once in a while, but it isn't that annoying. I would maybe suggest the bars be kept wiped more often to try to keep some of the bees away. But it wasn't something that would stop me from going to couples. I think this is anywhere you have a bar outside.

We were at CN in early January and at breakfast I grabbed one of those very nice (delicious!) pastry baskets for my husband. The basket had plastic wrap on top, but a clever bee had made its way inside, so when I took off the plastic, we got a surprise. We didn't get stung, though. The next morning I tried for bee-free pasty basket and noticed several of the wrapped basket did have a bee or two in it.

I am somewhat afraid of bees, but have only been stung twice, neither time in Jamaica. They do tend to hang around in bars, in all resorts, not just Couples. One year at Rick's Cafe (the old one, before the remodel) the bar was thick with bees - that was the worst I've seen, but nobody got stung (at least while we were there.

Luckily I'll be able to give a first-hand bee report from CSA in just 29 days

Melody, you might want to get your bed checked for bedbugs. I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound like sand fleas to me. My sister got bedbugs once, and so did one of my co-workers. They're more common than you might think, and it's not a sign of dirtiness or poor housekeeping either.

Just got back from CSA today. No bee problems. We had a great time!!!

We went at the end of april. I am alleric and have serious reations. I am a little feaky about bees. We had No problem and I didnt even really see any. I thought there would be alot with all the outside drinking and eating but no problom man!

To bee or not to bee… Never has been a problem for us. This shouldn’t make any difference on which resort you chose. There are always critters around and Couples does a pretty good job controlling them.

You should see the mosquitoes and earwigs in Iowa right now.

Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by krazykeith View Post
    Melody, you might want to get your bed checked for bedbugs. I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound like sand fleas to me. My sister got bedbugs once, and so did one of my co-workers. They're more common than you might think, and it's not a sign of dirtiness or poor housekeeping either.
    I asked about that when we were there and they seemed to be very offended and upset that I asked. They said they had never had any and that they were sand flea bites. You might be right though. They are still here and it's been two months of agony. You might be right. I am going to call someone to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post

You should see the mosquitoes and earwigs in Iowa right now.
    Hi Beach-bum,

Eeewww... Ain't it the truth!! Here in Cedar Falls, the earwigs are ALL over! I don't ever remember an outbreak like this!

Beergirl

Beergirl,

Try laying out sticky traps. Gross little buggers.

It’s a nice day today. No rain.

Good luck, Melody. There's definitely a stigma attached to bedbugs, but it isn't much different than Mosquitos or ticks. Nobody wants them, but where there's food, there will be bugs! My wife's a nurse and she said that a doctor should be able to diagnose what is still biting you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast