Default Question about the flight

We will be flying from Memphis and have a 1 hour layover in Houston. Does anyone know if we will have to recheck our baggage in houston? We are worried with only 1 hour that if we do we'll miss our flight.

No, you will not see you luggage again until you land in Montego Bay. No worries!

On the return, you will have to collect your luggage, go through customs, re-check you luggage then head off to your connecting flight but not on the trip to Montego Bay.

Are you changing airlines? Even so I cannot imagine having to recheck your bags.
    If you are changing airlines you bags still "should" be transferred for you, but be sure to pack a carry on with your swim suit and clothes for dinner. The odds of losing or misplacing your luggage goes up.
    This is always a good idea anyway.

If you have a layover in Houston, on the same airline you will not have to recheck your bags. There would be concern if you are flying different airlines for each leg however.

Your baggage goes striaght through on the way to Jamaica. It's on the way back you have to do Customs at the first stop inside the States.

On your way to Jamaica you will check your bags in Memphis and claim them when you get to Montego Bay. On the way back if you have a connecting flight again you will need to do Immigration, Claim baggage, do customs, then go back through security, check your baggage again for the flight on to Memphis. An hour could be very tight! Some airports have re-checking of bags just past Customs so you can recheck there and make the rush through TSA and get to your next flight.
    We have done this several times in Charlotte on our way home to DC and had our connection not been delayed we would have missed it almost every time. We began doing carry-on only for connecting flights coming home. If you come home with only carry-on you can get on through quickly and get where you are going much more quickly.
    Best of luck!
    Roy

I am pretty sure that when you check in in Memphis you will not see your bags until you get off the plane in Montego Bay. Same going home...you'll check in in Montego Bay and not see your luggae again until you get to your final airport

You should not have to recheck your bags in Houston on the way to Montego Bay. It's on the way back you have to go through customs and recheck. Which airport are you flying into? There is a huge difference in size between the two.

Going to Jamaica, no. The airlines will check your bags through to MBJ

Returning from Jamaica, yes. You will clear Customs in the first US airport you land at.

Thanks everyone that was very helpful! We're flying into Mobay and coming home our layover is two hours so I'm hoping that will give us time. Sounds like alot.

Just want to say, Welcome To H-town!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn View Post
    We will be flying from Memphis and have a 1 hour layover in Houston. Does anyone know if we will have to recheck our baggage in houston? We are worried with only 1 hour that if we do we'll miss our flight.
    Should have flown delta, they have a direct from memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by cnjferg View Post
    I am pretty sure that when you check in in Memphis you will not see your bags until you get off the plane in Montego Bay. Same going home...you'll check in in Montego Bay and not see your luggae again until you get to your final airport
    This is incorrect. On the way back home, you will get your bags at the first US airport and have to recheck them. It is nice because it gives you a chance to stash your rum in your luggage.

My friends and I were wondering if when you recheck your bags after customs do you have to pay again if you are on an airline that charges for checked luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by gdstravel View Post
    If you have a layover in Houston, on the same airline you will not have to recheck your bags. There would be concern if you are flying different airlines for each leg however.
    I don't think that's true. We flew two different airline (we do all the time) and have never had to recheck luggage at all. If they were going the opposite direction they would have to check them again but that is only because you have to go through customs at your first point of entry. They aren't entering the country though, they are exiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    My friends and I were wondering if when you recheck your bags after customs do you have to pay again if you are on an airline that charges for checked luggage?
    No, you pay at the beginning if there is a fee. As long as they have tags they take them back without any additional charge. You can change airlines, add stuff to the bags or whatever and they still take them back. It isn't like when you normally check in, it's usually just a few guys and a conveyor belt. They check the tag and stick it on the belt to be sent to your plane.