Default Looking for some medical help

For a number of years, I have been plagued by dry skin on my hands. My two thumbs and two fingers crack open and are painful. It used to be only during the cold dry months of winter. Now, it has become a problem even during the summer months.
    I have seen a very good dermatologist in my area, and he prescribed two steroid ointments that, according to him, are the way to go. One is Betamethasone cream, and the other is Clobetasol ointment. Apply twice a day and night. They work well, but if I miss a day or so, the problem returns.I'm hoping that someone out there knows of another solution that would cure it, without this daily regiment.
    I have tried just about every product on the market without success. I switched soaps three different times but the problem still continues.
    According to the doctor, there is no rhyme or reason that this situation exists. Nothing in my diet or medications.
    The only time that it heals up completely is when we go to Jamaica. Hot humid conditions seem to do the trick.
    I'm hoping that someone in my 'family' can shed some light on this, and cure it rather than just using more creams and ointments.
    Anyone have any ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Richie

I have a similar problem with my left foot. What works best for me are softening socks from Bliss Spa in NYC. Fortunately for you, they also make gloves. They're called "Bliss Glamour Gloves," and you an see them at www.blissworld.com. The socks works very well for me; I usually wear them for an hour or two a day. They have a gel lining designed to hydrate skin. Good luck.
    Last edited by Pamela; June 4th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Richie: Not sure this is the same condition but about five or six years ago I developed something on my hands that caused a thin layer of peeling all over my hands and fingers. Not necessarily painful but very unattractive. My doctor treated me with the same oral medication that is used for fungal nail infections even though I did not exhibit signs of that on fingernails or toenails. I had to take it for about three months and since then the "mystery" has never reappeared. It did come with warnings of liver damage and I had to take liver tests before I could use it. The medications was prescription, obviously. Maybe mention this to your doctor. I'm certainly not trying to give medical advice, just mentioning something that worked for me.

Richie, I have the same thing since I was a kid (it's eczema). I also use the same creams but when there is a bad flare-up my doctor gives me a needle in my backside which is a steroid. I could only get it 3 or 4 times a year, but it almost instantly clears the rash up. Mine also clears up when in hot weather at the beach with the saltwater, I'm told that the sun, saltwater and the fact that we are relaxed (no stress) all have something to do with it. From my understanding not all doctors give this needle, but if you can find one who does it is a life saver when the rash is out really bad and will give you relief for about 3 months. Let me know.
    Dianavr

Richie,

Have you tried not eating wheat for a while? Lots of us have wheat allergies and we never know it. I stopped eating all grains a few months ago and I feel GREAT! I am not saying this will help you but it is worth a try.

Good Luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

What you are describing sounds like excema. Did the dermatologist diagnose that? My husband has it too but his, at least for now, is under control. He works in the restaurant business so he washes his hands ALOT, especially when he's preparing food of course. He used to theorize that he might be allergic to pickles?? I think it was probably the excessive hand washing more than anything. His is worse in the winter also. He kept using the steroid creams and kept lotion on his hands as much as possible, and it finally went away, at least for now. His hands have been better for the last year or so. Good luck!!!

Thanks to all for your information. I don't remember the doc saying anything about excema. He did test for fungal crap, sort of like athelets foot. It came back negative. I am also using an oral medication for foot fungus. I take it for one week each month. It's to early to say if this will help, as I just started the regiment last month. So for now, it looks as though I will continue with the cream and ointment. At least that brings some relief.

Again, thanks for the info. I love my Couples family.

Richie

I suffer from excema which causes similar problems. A fragrance free moisturizer called "Lipikar" by La Roche-Posay is amazing! It was recommended by my dermatologist and since using it every day I have been able to stop using my steroid ointment. Might be worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    For a number of years, I have been plagued by dry skin on my hands. My two thumbs and two fingers crack open and are painful. It used to be only during the cold dry months of winter. Now, it has become a problem even during the summer months.
    I have seen a very good dermatologist in my area, and he prescribed two steroid ointments that, according to him, are the way to go. One is Betamethasone cream, and the other is Clobetasol ointment. Apply twice a day and night. They work well, but if I miss a day or so, the problem returns.I'm hoping that someone out there knows of another solution that would cure it, without this daily regiment.
    I have tried just about every product on the market without success. I switched soaps three different times but the problem still continues.
    According to the doctor, there is no rhyme or reason that this situation exists. Nothing in my diet or medications.
    The only time that it heals up completely is when we go to Jamaica. Hot humid conditions seem to do the trick.
    I'm hoping that someone in my 'family' can shed some light on this, and cure it rather than just using more creams and ointments.
    Anyone have any ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Richie

.....Have you tried Crisco? Yes, lard type Crisco. Crisco is great for the skin. Has amazing healing qualities.

One thing I've heard is to cover your hands (or feet) with petroleum jelly and then put on a pair of cotton gloves. Apparantly, if you do this at bedtime, it really helps to moisturize your skin overnight.