Hybrid View

Default Atlanta Airport Advice Please

I booked our trip to CTI for Feb. 2011 on April 8th to take advantage of all the good early booking deals. At the time, I found the PERFECT NON-STOP from Detroit to MBJ.

Delta, however, has now made that a stop-over in Atlanta going there and also on return. There are about 2.5 hours between flights on the way home, and I imagine that will be enough time to get through customs and get our connecting flight.

I continue to hope things will change back before next year, but I was wondering if you have to collect your bags in Atlanta on the way back because it's an international flight? Or is it just your bodies that you have to get through all the extra business.

If anyone could tell me anything about Atlanta's airport, that would be great. I sure do appreciate anyone responding to this post.

261 days and counting. Sun_princess

with it being international,...i would just about bet you got get your bags and recheck in atlanta. sorry...

Default Must Collect Bags

I do not know of any international flight returns that you do not need to get your bags and go through customs and then have them rechecked on continuing flight. Most airports this goes very smoothly, unless there are a number of connecting international flights arriving at the same time.

Yes, you will need to go through immigration in Atlanta, collect your bags to go through customs, give your bags back to the the person to deliver them to your next flight, and then go through security again to catch your flight home. My husband just completed this (in Atlanta), he had ~90 minutes between his flights which was sufficient.

Yes, you will have to retreive your bags and re-check, re-checking is really easy, you just throw them on the belt because they are already tagged, no waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_princess View Post

Delta, however, has now made that a stop-over in Atlanta going there and also on return. There are about 2.5 hours between flights on the way home, and I imagine that will be enough time to get through customs and get our connecting flight.

but I was wondering if you have to collect your bags in Atlanta on the way back because it's an international flight? Or is it just your bodies that you have to get through all the extra business.

If anyone could tell me anything about Atlanta's airport, that would be great. I sure do appreciate anyone responding to this post.

261 days and counting. Sun_princess
    .....Yep, there will be a place at customs to get your bags checked. You will be glad you have those 2 1/2 hours.

On Sunday, we hat 1-1/2 hours to get through I&C... we actually got into the gate early, which was good, made it through the processing, and still had time to walk comfortably from Terminal E (the international arrivals terminal) to our connecting flight in Terminal A. There is also a tram that runs between all six terminals at Atlanta. No worries.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks everyone for your information. I figured we'd have to check the bags through I/C. We fly home on a Tuesday and so I'll bet it shouldn't be too busy coming through. I'm sure I'll be glad we have the 2 1/2 hr. layover. I think it's about 260 days now. Sun_princess

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_princess View Post
    Thanks everyone for your information. I figured we'd have to check the bags through I/C. We fly home on a Tuesday and so I'll bet it shouldn't be too busy coming through. I'm sure I'll be glad we have the 2 1/2 hr. layover. I think it's about 260 days now. Sun_princess
    ....Add; if you buy liquor at the Jamaica Airport (Good deals), you can "carry it on" to Atlanta. But will have to take it through Customs and repack it in your checked baggage.