Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are we the only people thinking of cancelling our trip?

My fiancee' and I scheduled our honeymoon to CTI June 28-July 4 but with the events going on in Kingston we are hearing a lot from friends and family that we shouldn't go. Is anyone else considering cancelling their upcoming trips to Jamaica?

Nope, just you

My wife and I are going July 3rd - 9th and wouldn't think of cancelling ours.

No. We will be at CTI in 95 days (!), and as things stand now, the excitement in Kingston won't be affecting our plans in any way.

Is anyone else considering cancelling their upcoming trips to Jamaica?
    Crossed my mind for about 1/2 second. Leave in 2 days. Do whatever is comfortable for you but make sure you educate yourself on what's going on before you cancel. Do your friends and family live in Jamaica? Are they experts on Jamaica? If not then why would you listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cree5 View Post
    My fiancee' and I scheduled our honeymoon to CTI June 28-July 4 but with the events going on in Kingston we are hearing a lot from friends and family that we shouldn't go. Is anyone else considering cancelling their upcoming trips to Jamaica?
    ....This is a Criminal Gang Problem in a part of Kingston. NOT a revolution. This is the police's problem. Don't worry about it. Would you cancel a trip to Denver because of a gang problem in Chicago??

Check out a map of JA and locate Kingston in relation to Ochi.

Cree5, Consider the folllowing..........
    (1) Safety in traveling abroad should always be high on your list. Therefore, your considerations certainly have merit. But......
    (2) Geographically, Kingston is closest to Ocho Rios (versus MoBay and Negril). However, it is still 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive between the two. Not trying to be funny, but would avoid Dallas just because there was something bad going on in Houston?
    (3) Tourism is probably the number one industry in Jamaica, if not, it is certainly second. IMHO, I don't think the Jamaican government will do anything to jeopardize the tourism dollar. If they allow something to happen to a tourist in their country and that word gets out. It will cripple the entire country for many years to come.
    (4) This is probably most important.......
    I can't speak for anyone else, but Couples Resorts and their management have always displayed an attitude of doing what is right for their guests no matter what. In the eight years that I have travelled to Jamaica, they (Couples) have always been first class. I truly believe that if Randymon and his staff had any thought (no matter how insignificant) that any of their guests may fall into harms way, then they would be the first to issue a warning or statement to that fact.

I think you should be commended for at least thinking about cancelling as it shows your committment to the saftey of yourself and your fiancee', but if you consider everything, I think youwill see that cancelling your vacation is really not necessary.

Best of luck in your decision!

For my wife and I.....CTI, we will see you Saturday afternoon!!!!!!!
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Nope...Cant wait to get there

HEck, I go during Hurricane season which can hit the whole Island. Unrest in Kingston is very localized.

We leave this Sunday and no way would I cancel...Kingston is quite far away from Ocho Rios and the troubles are not affecting any other area but the Kingston area. I would not worry if I was you but of course you have to feel comfortable on your trip...good luck with your decision.

Our trip isn't until September, but even if it was tomorrow, I wouldn't even dream of cancelling.
    I'm not going to try and change your mind, obviously you do whatever you feel is right for you and your fiance and not because your friends and family say you should.
    But just think, what's happening in one neighborhood of one city is effecting your opinion about a whole country. What if we applied that way of thinking to the U.S, where there is violence, gangs etc...practically in every large city?
    My husband has family that lives in the suburbs of Kingston, and they haven't been directly effected by it, they're following it on the news, but that's about it.
    Jamaica is a beautiful country, with amazing people, unfortunately it has been plagued with problems for a long time.
    It saddens me to see people talk about cancelling their trip.
    And the only other thing I'll say, do some research, look at a map of Jamaica see where Kingston is in relation to where you will be.

I would never cancel the trip, Kingston is on the other side of Jamaica (look at a map).
    Dianavr

I just got back from CSS, which is down the street from CTI. You'll fly into Montego Bay, take a bus to CTI and not go anywhere near Kingston. The problems are only limited to Kingston. We saw no problems whatsoever the whole week we were there. DON'T CANCEL. You'll enjoy your trip without any worries. No problems mon!

Nope, you're not the only ones. Sadly, we cancelled our trip. When we booked several months ago, we just could not get excited about going to Jamaica. And trust me, for us, this is a once in a lifetime trip, so there was no reason to not be excited. For the life of us, we couldn't figure out why...beautiful scenery, great people, awesome resort, great price...but still couldn't get excited. The week before all the Kingston crap broke out, I kept getting a nagging feeling that Jamaica really wasn't for us and then a week later, we all know what happened...so, I followed my gut, which has never steered me wrong, and cancelled. It's been a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. Still sad that I won't be living it up in the Atrium suite, but atleast now I can get excited for the new honeymoon we booked.

jsdragonfly, I am very sad for you that you will never have the chance to fall in love with Couples and Jamaica like the rest of us.
    I actually felt the same way the first time I went to Jamaica/Couples in 2004. I was petrified!
    Thank God I put my fears aside and decided to give it a try!! From the time we stepped off the plane until the time we got back on we knew we found a new "home"!
    Now we're going back for the 9th time and we cant wait!
    I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon, no matter where it is!
    Last edited by travmagic; June 1st, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Travel Agent to the Stars!
    Oh, sorry, got carried away.
    But I am a Couples Preferred Agent.

CN 2003, 2005, 2008, 2011 CSS 2006, 2007 CSA 2007, 2011 CTI 2009

[QUOTE=travmagic;76133]jsdragonfly, I am very sad for you that you will never have the chance to fall in love with Couples and Jamaica like the rest of us.
    I actually felt the same way the first time I went to Jamaica/Couples in 2004. I was petrified!
    QUOTE]

what were you petrified of? we are trying to decide and not aware of anything that may make us "petrified"

Actually - the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions. Because I have read so much on Facebook and other message boards - I got caught up in all the unrest in Kingston. (Knowing its a few hours from CSA) But .. I was ready to cancel our Dec trip.

I asked my husband to change islands and go some place else. He said NO! So I researched other islands and vacations... ~ hoping for a better deal ~my conclusion...

No other caribbean island or resort offers what CSA does.

Romantic Atmosphere
    Lush tropical gardens & walkways
    Beautiful grounds
    The most relaxed we have ever been
    Never felt crowded
    No kids
    Wonderful food
    The most comfortable bed
    Secluded
    Beautiful Beach
    Awesome chair floats
    Reward points
    Message Board to stay in touch
    The Beach Vendors (we loved Mountain Man & the Jamaican Sunshine Mento's Band)
    All the locals were so much fun & happy to see us ...from the airport, the store, the resort employees, the bench vendors... everyone!

Every time I look at other resorts or island... I compare everything I love about CSA ... its no comparison. We are NOT going to cancel. We will be there DECEMBER 17TH ... 199 Days / 28 more Friday's

We actually just returned from CSS (about 5-10 minutes down the road from CTI) and the only way that we knew something had happened in Kingston was because my hubby had checked the American news. All of the staff members were forthcoming with information about the problem when we asked. They said basically all of this is being blown out of proportion. They are looking for one person. The last place that person is going to go to hide from cops is a resort... We never once felt unsafe at our resort and the total non-concern from the staff was all the peace-of-mind we needed. Its good to be informed, but I wouldn't cancel your trip over it. From the second you get through customs at Montego Bay till you enter back into the airport when you leave, you are taken care of by Couples. Its not like you will ever be left on your own to navigate around Jamaica.

I hope you guys enjoy!

We were in Negril last week and the only way we knew was from e-mails from back home.

Go and have fun!

[QUOTE=maywillcomehard;76148]
    Quote Originally Posted by travmagic View Post
    jsdragonfly, I am very sad for you that you will never have the chance to fall in love with Couples and Jamaica like the rest of us.
    QUOTE]

what were you petrified of? we are trying to decide and not aware of anything that may make us "petrified"
    Well, to be honest with you I hadn't really traveled much before that and I am really a big chicken when it comes to new adventures. I had expected to be accosted by people trying to sell me drugs.
    It never happened my first trip at all. Now, if it does, I just smile and say "no thank you" and they go along their merry way!!
    And I cant wait to go back after each trip!
    Travel Agent to the Stars!
    Oh, sorry, got carried away.
    But I am a Couples Preferred Agent.

CN 2003, 2005, 2008, 2011 CSS 2006, 2007 CSA 2007, 2011 CTI 2009

I am unaware of any recent 'attacks' on tourists in Jamaica. I think some of the other islands are higher risk. The first time we went to CTi, we didnt go to Kingston, but we did the second time in 2008. It's 3 hours away - the tourists will be quite safe on the north coast.

It is very sad to hear the unrest has affected tourism, particularly as tourism isnt' generally 'in' Kingston.

I believe the South Africa cricket test, which was planned for Kingston, has been moved to another island (I'm South African), but that's understandable.

We are going to CSA in 3 months time and potential hurricanes are more of a concern.
    [FONT="Arial"]Tracy and Graham, London

Tower Isle- August 2006
    Sans Souci - August 2008
    Sans Souci & Tower Isle - September 2010

Cree5 By now you have read of all the others that are still planning to return to what many of us think of as 'home'. It is only because some of us have been to Jamaica so many times, 31 times for us, that we understand that there are problems in Kingston, but that doesn't really effect the other side of the island. It is a small section of Kingston that is experiencing what you are reading in the news. It will not have any bearing on the goings on in Ocho Rios.
    A number of years ago there were some other problems that parts of Jamaica had to deal with. The U.S. state department actually put out an advisory that anyone traveling to the island would be doing so at their own risk. Even that didn't deter anyone who had been there before to return. There were military troops with weapons at Montego Bay. Perhaps a little unnerving, but again, the tourists continue to come. At this point I have heard of no warning being given to U.S. residents or for that matter, to anyone from any country being advised to stay away.
    In the end, you must do what your heart dictates. But take it from us and all the others that you have read about, it really would be a shame to cancel your trip.
    Please don't let the current situations in Kingston cause you to cancel. It will truly be a wonderful positive experience.
    Richie

Jsdragonfly..our first trip to Couples was 4 years ago for our honeymoon and I kept second guessing my choice. That was until I got there and fell in love with CSA and was very happy that I didn't cancel. I didn't want to leave. I am sory that you cancelled your trip but it always good to foloow your gut. Cant wait until we go back in August WOOHOO!!

Just returned on Saturday May 29th,we did not have any problems,life was normal at CTI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast