Default Worried about bug bites

Going to CN in less than 2 weeks...YAY! I am starting to get really worried about suffering with bug bites. Bugs tend to LOVE me. I am planning to bring bug spray w/ as much DEET as I can find. Does DEET deter sand fleas too? I am so afraid of being miserable with itchy bug bites in the heat.

Any recent visitors experience bugs - a lot or just a few?

Thanks!

We were at SweptAway last week; and yes, we took our stash of DeepWoods OFF with 98% DEET. Only problem was, my bride failed to apply the first day, and suffered the consequences... again. I got dinged up quite a few times myself... the li'l suckers were particularly aggressive due to the recent rains and the presence of a some turtle grass after some tidal action.

My advice is to do exactly what you're planning... bring high concentrations of DEET, but don't forget to apply... it works. During the day they shouldn't be a problem. Beware around sunrise and sunset, and immediately after rain.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

It didn't help me! I was spraying every day and night, pretty much every time I got out of the water in case it got washed off. I am still covered in them and I got back a month ago. They are all over my body and I was hardly every in the sand. We didn't hang out on the beach except for the beach party. The day before my vow renewal I got a bunch on my face so that was awesome. I think we brought them home and no matter what I do we can't get rid of them. Every morning since we got there we wake up with more bites all over.

Here is one of the better articles I've read about sandflea bites, symptoms, dangers and treatment.

http://www.healthy-skincare.com/sand-flea-bite.html
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Take a lot of spray with DEET. It should help

Also try taking Vitamin B-1 full strength. B complex does not have enough B-1 to effective. Take it at least 30 days prior to getting to Jamaica. It has proved to be somewhat effective for us. While many complain about getting bit we don't find it so bad and the B-1 is good for you
    If you are not sure if you should take B-1 check with your Dr.

Hi

Don't know if you get 'Marmite' outside of UK, but it's a vile tasting black spread (that you either love or hate). If you have some on a slice of toast every morning you won't get bitten by anything! Thats if of course you can stomach the vile stuff!! Should think you could get it off the internet.
    [FONT="Arial"]Tracy and Graham, London

Tower Isle- August 2006
    Sans Souci - August 2008
    Sans Souci & Tower Isle - September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rhmama View Post
    Going to CN in less than 2 weeks...YAY! I am starting to get really worried about suffering with bug bites. Bugs tend to LOVE me. I am planning to bring bug spray w/ as much DEET as I can find. Does DEET deter sand fleas too? I am so afraid of being miserable with itchy bug bites in the heat.

Any recent visitors experience bugs - a lot or just a few?

Thanks!

....Yes, Sand Fleas are a bitch. Especially at night. I sprayed good my legs, figuring they wouldn't get past that. WRONG!! My legs weren't bit, but bit well above that. Especially my arms. Interestingly, neither my wife nor my daughter got any bites, and didn't use any spray.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    i think we brought them home and no matter what i do we can't get rid of them. Every morning since we got there we wake up with more bites all over.
    ....ouch!!!

WOW..............I have been to couples 3 times in 3 years and had no issues with bug bites and used no spray. Maybe its the Negril side of the island. LOL I have always stayed in Ochi. Hope I have the same luck this year since I'll be home in 3 weeks.

We've been to CN twice now and I learned the first year to use the Deet. I even buy the little wipes and those work quite well. Just really be aware of the sand at night. Those sand fleas will get you and unlike mosquito bites, they take forever to go away! I'm pretty sure they even sell it in the gift shop so don't go too crazy.

R the bugs worse at a particular resort or r they about the same at all the resorts?

I am a little concerned about the bug situation, too. I keep reading about others having problems with many bug bites. We will be going to CSA in 3 weeks for our 25th anniversary. I've heard a lot about bug spray. We would appreciate any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    WOW..............I have been to couples 3 times in 3 years and had no issues with bug bites and used no spray. Maybe its the Negril side of the island. LOL I have always stayed in Ochi. Hope I have the same luck this year since I'll be home in 3 weeks.
    Interestingly, we were at CSA last year. Once I got home, I had noticed the itching & bites. Tho, hubby didn't have any problems...grrr

This year, we will be at CSS. I'm wondering how that will go?! I think I'm still gonna get something w/ DEET in it, tho...oy

I don't know what was different about our two trips. We went at the same time of year and this time it was awful but the last time I didn't even use spray and I never got bitten at all. If anyone has any idea of how to get rid of these without harming my kids or pets that would be great.

For me it is treatment not prevention. I haved used deep woods off, real vanilla, skin so soft, and many others and NOTHING works. I counted 50 bites on my one leg on day 3 last year. I did read on the internet that Deet does nothing to repel sand fleas that you have to use the skintastic in the turquois bottle. Not sure if this is true, but I am taking some with, cant hurt. I am also going to try and apply it daily as years past I have only used it after dusk. I am going to start on Zertec a few days before I go and also go see my Doctor and ask for a perscription cream to take with me. I am just planning on getting bit up and worrying about treating it as this point. Oh and I have tried the B1 and it did nothing for me but upset my tummy. Still got bit up that year! Good luck to you. Maybe you will be lucky like my hubby who walks away with not a single bite!

My wife and i have gone to csa a lot of years, and she was a battle field for the bug bites, this last time she started taking b1 a month prior, unbelievable results, only a few bites, that b1 really works good, along with the insect repellant, have fun!

Mosquitos love me and in 3 previous trips I was in AGONY with the itching by the end of the trip. And it didn't matter whether we were in Negril or Ochi. But our most recent trip in May, our 4th trip to Couples, and our 2nd to CSS, I did not have ONE BITE. We were really diligent with spraying ourselves with OFF every evening before going out and we always ate outside. I was amazed that I didn't get bitten this time. On previous trips, I would have between 20 and 30 bites all over my body - mostly my legs - by the end of the trip. I had anxiety too before our trip and I read about vitamin B but there's no scientific proof it repels mosquitos, so I didn't bother. Just be diligent with the OFF every evening. If you go out on your balcony at night, close the door behind you to prevent the mosquitos from coming in... because if they do get in, they'll be feasting all night. *cue spooky horror movie laugh*

I would think the greasy suntan lotion I put on would repel them! lol

In April 2008 at CSA, we had no problems with mosquito bites. May 2010 at CSA, we got quite a few mosquito bites because May starts the rainy season. No issues with sand flea bites though.

I only sprayed myself around sunset and after dark if we were going to be out on the beach. I took a little spray bottle and put it in my cargo pants and gave myself a little squirt of it before walking on the beach. I had no problems and just had regular "off".

Is it because of the time of year? When we were in CSA in October we didn't seen to have these issues. I am hoping I will be able to say the same thing this October. I really don't want to deal with that and worry about bringing them home with me to infest my home and my dog. I hate bugs!

Just returned from CSA and bug bites were a bit of a puzzle for us.

We used regular Off wipes in the evenings and had very little problems with bug bites while out and about. Our troubles were in our room. Every time we returned to our room we were at war with the mosquitos. I'm not sure how they got in, but we were swatting and smacking then constantly. Finally one of the staff suggested we call and have our room sprayed, which we did immediately, my wife called from the gift shop. This was on our second to last day at CSA. The spraying helped quite a bit, but was not a complete cure. All in all through the week we had a LOT of bites from the buggers in our room. An irritation at worst, but not the end of the world. I suppose if we had put on the repellent in our room and before bed we would have been better off, but I hate to put on bug repellent and sleep with it on. Yuck.

Anyway, bugs are bugs. This was the first time in four trips we have had this much trouble with bug bites, in or out of our room. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I have never tired them, but Off has a new product that you can clip-on to you and it is like a little fan that repels bugs. I wonder if these will be strong enough. I don't think I would actually wear it, but if I am lying on the beach, I will have it next to me on the lounger. Just a thought.
    Erin & Patrick

We just got back from Couples Negril last week. We brought 2 bottles of bug spray with us thinking we would need to cake it on but it never even came out of our bag. We were outside the entire week and I might have gotten 2 big bites. Maybe all of the alcohol that we consumed throughout the week kept them away!