Default Newbie with a couple of questions

My fiance and I are getting married on Friday and coming to CSS on Saturday. We are new to Couples and have a couple of questions.
    1)How much cash should we carry with us? We normally only carry our debit/credit cards, and are unsure of how much cash that we will actually need while staying at couples.
    2)We do not want to use our cell phones while in Jamaica, and are wondering if we need to wait until we get to the resort to purchase an international calling card?
    We are so excited about CSS and can't wait to get there. Thank ahead of time for any responses.

We brought 300 in cash with us,just bring nothing larger then 20's and you can check special rates with your cell carrier but its a bit pricey. As far as staying in touch with home or family we just went to the internet cafe once a day. Congrats on your marriage and enjoy your stay in paradise.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Congratulations to you and your fiancee!!!

At the resort you do not need any cash as tipping of employees is not allowed and everything is charged to your room. Oh wait... if you're planning to partake in any spa services then you can (and probably should) tip the people who work at the spa.

Otherwise, you will need cash for tipping bus drivers on excursions and to and from the airport, baggage handlers at the airport, and if you buy any souvenirs from vendors not associated with the resort.

As for calling cards, if you don't really need to phone anyone I wouldn't bother. Use the PC's available at the resort to stay in touch using email.

ENJOY!!!

The amount of cash you bring depends on what you want to do. While you're on the resort you need none. If you buy items at the gift shop charge it to your room. If you go to Ricks Cafe you'll need to bring some, the drinks have gotten pricey over the years. Same if you go on the shopping tour. When we first went to Jamaica we would bring about $500 in cash for off resort trips.

As for phone cards we have brought them down with us and they worked fine.

We have found that the coffee is cheaper in town and the rum is cheaper at the airport when your leaving. Just know that you now have to pack the rum in your luggage once in the states.

They recommend $500 cash. But if you're not going "Off Resort", you'll need no more than $200. This in small bills for tips to baggage handlers, "Cab" drivers, Catamaran Crew, etc. Note; there is NO tipping to Couples Staff. Now, if you're going to be shopping, etc, in Jamaica itself; you will need more cash.

It might be good to take around $300 in cash. You will need small bills, ones & fives, for tipping at the airport and bus trips. If you do any excursions you will need to tip the bus driver or the Dunns River tour guide up the falls for example. Also, if you see any crafts you would like to purchase from vendors you will need cash. I cannot help with the calling cards. We always use our cell phones in Jamaica.
    Have a great time. Congrats on your wedding. You will love CSS. We will be there in July.

1) While at the resort, you won't need to carry any cash. When you check-in, the staff will ask for a credit card to put a hold on some funds, I think it's $200... but I forget. I'd recommend using credit over debit and let your credit card company know you are traveling to Jamaica ahead of time so they don't cancel or lock the card on you. While shopping at the resort gift shops or the cigar/jewelry stand, you simply sign for things with your name and I believe room number. They are added up and resolved when you check-out. If you go over the number, I believe they will charge it and then start again or something along those lines, so basically you shouldn't have to carry any cash or wallets... it's awesome! You don't tip.

I suggest you toss your wallets and cell phones with your passports into your room safe and go on your way! If you want to go on a shopping trip into town and/or go to Dunn's river falls, bring cash to tip with and to purchase things. Also bring tipping money for the airport, each way.

Just a tip, the airport is like a shopping mall, if you have plan accordingly, you can do most your shopping right before you head for home. The only difficult thing is that you have to carry that stuff on and if you have a lay-over, will have to pack that stuff in your check bags during customs, speaking mostly about rum and other liquids.

2) I believe the gift shops sell calling cards, I never bothered to call anybody... shot an email to family and posted some things on facebook and thats all I needed for outside contact.

1)How much cash should we carry with us? We normally only carry our debit/credit cards, and are unsure of how much cash that we will actually need while staying at couples
    Hey there, we were newbies also untill last week! We stayed at CTI but I'm sure it's pretty much the same. The only cash you need is for tips and vendors. We took $400 and came back with most of it! You will need some ones and fives for the tips!!

2)We do not want to use our cell phones while in Jamaica, and are wondering if we need to wait until we get to the resort to purchase an international calling card?
    We are so excited about CSS and can't wait to get there. Thank ahead of time for any responses.
    I can't tell you about the calling cards, we used our laptop and used skype to talk to the kids at night! We also just used the computers there and sent emails! So hopefully someone with some more knowledge about the cards can answer this!!! And have a great time and no worries mon!!!

The amount of cash you takes depends on what you plan on purchasing. You will need money to tip the baggage handlers ($1/bag) and shuttle driver ($10-$20), but if you don't plan on making any purchases, then you won't need any other cash. There are vendors on property and they only take cash, but if you go into town on the shopping trip or purchase something from the resort gift shop, then credit/debit cards are fine. We always go in town to purchase our coffee, but we bring cash as we don't want something to happen to our card and the numbers to get lifted.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

If anyone could give me any advice on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. :-)

Best wishes for much happiness! You'll need to tip the bag handlers (that take luggage to the van from the Couples lounge), and the van drivers to the resort, both ways. The spa employees are not full time Couples staff so tipping is acceptable. Regular employees, will lose their jobs if cash gifts are accepted! Little thank-you gifts for housekeeping staff are welcome. Check out this MB for more information.
    Have a fantastic honeymoon.

Default Congrats

Congrats on your wedding..you will have a great time at couples. Our travels have found that all you need for cash is plenty of ones for tipping luggage guys, transfer drivers and bell hops. If you plan on using debit and credit cards be sure to call their customer service number to let them know you're going out of the country. We have had bad experiences with calling cards...not working ect. In the past we have charged phone calls directly to our credit cards,( very expensive but easy) but on our last trip to tower isle in may we had the option of charging the calls to our room It was very easy and convienent.Upon check out I was expecting a $30 to $40 phone bill and the total for our calls was only 7 or 8 dollars....Very nice surprise needless to say.
    Happy traveling....San souci is the best.

$20 for a shuttle driver... that's a BIG tip in my eyes.

So the Rum is less expensive at the airport? I would like to bring some back home. Our first time @ CSA in October. Does anyone know how much you can bring back to the states?

Quote Originally Posted by DanandCindy View Post
    So the Rum is less expensive at the airport? I would like to bring some back home. Our first time @ CSA in October. Does anyone know how much you can bring back to the states?

....As I remember, 1 litre each?? The airport has a couple of Liquor Stores with good prices, and "Duty Free". Note that "Rum Creams" are lower alcohol and looked at as wines. Customs are a bit more liberal with how many Rum Creams you can bring in. The worse that can happen is they'll hit you for taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by DanandCindy View Post
    If you buy it at the airport once through security, they will pack it for carry on, then when if you make a connection once out of Jamaica, you stuff the box in your luggage. We have not had problems with breakage or leakage.

Technically, you don't HAVE to tip anyone, including the baggage handlers at the airport or the shuttle driver. However they are providing a service and are not Couples employees, same with Cat Cruise crew, Horseback riding guides, shopping tour shuttle driver,or Dunn's River Falls tour guides. You MAY tip these people according to the service they provide same as you would back home.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanna View Post
    If anyone could give me any advice on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. :-)
    Jeanna, using the MB requires patience. As you might have figured out by now, postings to not appear immediately after submission. The MB is moderated, and because of this, it takes awhile for them to appear. Sometimes, days go by before the MB is updated; in the last couple of months, it's happened a couple of times that the MB wasn't updated for the entire weekend. This past week, the MB was updated around 1:30 pm on Thursday, June 11, and wasn't updated again until the morning of Monday, June 14. That's three full days without any new posts appearing on the MB.
    Last edited by Pamela; June 14th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).