Default scuba diving question

can anyone tell me about the swim test you have to do to get certified at the resort to scuba dive?

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    can anyone tell me about the swim test you have to do to get certified at the resort to scuba dive?
    do not know but intrested in the info....

The swim test actually is different at each resort. At CSA you must swim 8 lenghts of the pool by the Palms using the freestyle stroke. It is actually a bit of a challenge, and not everyone can pass it. At CSS, I swam 4 lengths at the big pool at the swim up bar. I could, however, use the breaststroke, which I am much better at. Not sure about CTI, but I know they use the small pool at CN, not sure how many lengths, though.

Unless it has changed since I did mine in 2005, it is seven complete laps in the pool, depending on the size of the pool, could be more or less. It doesn't matter how long it takes or how you do it as long as it is not on your back. Some courses require that you also tread water for 10 to 15 minutes. Good luck, it is worth all the work involved.

Bonnie

I believe it should be around 400 yards. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) You can do any stroke, you just need to keep going without putting your feet down. there is no time limit. If you are interested I would suggest you go to your local pool and practice. You can never be too good a swimmer for scuba diving.

padi requires 200 yard swim or 300 yard snorkel mask swim plus a 10 minute survival float For certification. The resort course is not a certification, the swim test would be up to the instructor, The instructor can decide who they teach based on how they feel that person could hurt themselves or be a danger to others. Aswell as ocean conditions and number of persons participating would also come into question. I for one would make sure I could swim well before doing scuba, If some thing does go wrong i'm sure it would be a case of every man woman for them selves! If never seen one person rescue 4 persons at once.

Being able to swim well is not a requirement!!!!!! All that is is that you will be able to get yourself to shore or to the boat if need be. As long as you can keep your head above water and even dog paddle to either place that is what is needed.

are wet suits supplied by the resort ? or do we need to bring our own?

Wetsuits are not supplied by the resort. If you want one you will need to bring your own, but my hubby dives in swim trunks and a t-shirt. He says there is no need for a wetsuit, but I have seen others wear them. I think it is all your own preference, but I would bring a thin one if you decide to have one.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We just did the resort-offered course at CN in January. We had to swim the length of the smaller pool and back. It wasn't difficult. I can swim but I am not a swimmer. I was also advised to eat a light breakfast that morning which was excellent advise. "Sugar" wanted to see that we could all swim. As an added FYI he was an excellent, patient instructor. We all had our different fears but he a calming affect. It was a great experience.

It seems like there is a whole lot of variation on the different requirements for each resort and instructor. Both my fiance and I can swim, but neither of us are real efficient swimmers, so we get tired after 1-2 lenths (25-50 meters). We will both brush up on our skills, but would like to have a reasonable goal to shoot for. Would anyone from the resort be able to clarify the swimming requirements??? Type of stroke and distance??? Someone posted above that a snorkle and mask can be used??? We will be at CN in June 2011.
    Happy diving!

Hi all,
    I was wondering the same thing. We are going to cti in 2 weeks and I wanted to do the included scuba diving. I have never been scuba but last year I did do snorkeling and was fine. I can swim good but am not a great swimmer for long periods of time. Halfway through my snorkeling excursion last year, I had to get a life vest off the boat because I started to get tired. Can someone chime in on exactly what the requirements are at cti and based on my swimming skills will I be fine to go scuba diving?

If it is a PADI course, there shouldn't be any variation from the PADI requirements, which by my recollection (and notes) allow for either swimming the 200m (any stroke) OR snorkel/mask/fins on top of the water 300m.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    The swim test actually is different at each resort. At CSA you must swim 8 lenghts of the pool by the Palms using the freestyle stroke. It is actually a bit of a challenge, and not everyone can pass it. At CSS, I swam 4 lengths at the big pool at the swim up bar. I could, however, use the breaststroke, which I am much better at. Not sure about CTI, but I know they use the small pool at CN, not sure how many lengths, though.
    We had to swim 6 lengths (3 laps) but someone else said they had to swim 8 the day before. They call it 6 laps but a lap is 2 lengths, not one. When they first said 6 laps I thought that was a lot until he said one length was a lap to them.

Mizzymiz - I too am a good but not extremely strong swimmer. I took the resort course at CN and while did get tired, I was able to take my time and do it with little difficulty. I would not fret and would definitely give it a try. Be forewarned, however, that once you experience the underwater world you will want to go back! After my first experience, I promptly got certified at home and returned to CN for a wonderful week-long diving experience. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallman2nd View Post
    Mizzymiz - I too am a good but not extremely strong swimmer. I took the resort course at CN and while did get tired, I was able to take my time and do it with little difficulty. I would not fret and would definitely give it a try. Be forewarned, however, that once you experience the underwater world you will want to go back! After my first experience, I promptly got certified at home and returned to CN for a wonderful week-long diving experience. Enjoy!
    I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! As soon as WE finished the resort course dive, we got back in the boat and told Sugar we were READY to get certified.... We started THAT afternoon and finished 2 days later. We spent the rest of the week diving with the other certified divers at CN..... The next year we went back and took the Advanced Open Water Diver class (Sugar trained us again that year). Now we go back every year to dive at CN with the GREAT water sports team there. Will be back in 4 weeks.