Default So what happens if.....

So we will be arriving on June 13 at CSA. i know Couples is cash free now and they are still doing the $300 hold on cc. What happens if you don't have a cc or dc????
    Jennifer

I was just wondering the same thing. Does anyone have a response?

Is there any way around this $300 charge? We were'nt planning on bringing much cash, just what we had pre-budgeted for spending money. And no credit card or debit card with $300 available. What will happen?

People on the MB have reported that the resort/front desk will accept cash. That Couples has gone cashless means that you can't pay cash to make purchases from the sundries store, gift shop, or spa; rather, purchases must be charged to your room. People like you who prefer to use cash have reported that it is possible to settle your account with cash at check-out. If you don't have a credit card at check-in, you will have to tender cash at that time.

While I understand not wanting to travel with valuables, it's really a good idea to take a credit card. What if you encounter an emergency, such as a medical emergency? What if your flight is cancelled and you have to spend an additional night or nights in Jamaica?

It's also a good idea to let your credit card company know that you'll be traveling to Jamaica and the dates of travel. You don't want your account frozen based upon suspected fraud.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

You will need to bring $300 cash for your 'deposit'. If you don't use it all, it will be returned to you at the end of your stay.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Every hotel that I've ever stayed in required either the credit card if you booked with one, or cash. I'm not sure there will be a way around it except to bring the cash. The resorts and hotels do need to protect themselves.

I would take Pamela's thoughts just a step further.

Its a BAD idea to travel without some sort of credit card, travellers' checks or a ready way to get your hands on some money. #%&! happens... and you generally need access to finances when it does.

If you're concerned about travelling with a credit card, use a debit card. But I strongly recommend that you don't try to fly without a net. As Pamela says, all it takes is one poorly placed medical emergency or glitch in your travel schedule (which is certainly within the realm of probability, if not possibility), and you'll be left hanging.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Oh - I so very much agree with Pamela.
    I have a friend who traveled with a small group from the US to Mexico and on day two, one of her guests needed medical attention immediatly that the resort's doctor could not help her with. Cash, as well as a credit card was an absolute must before hospital personel would even take a look at the woman. Thank goodness everything worked out just fine and the vacation resumed, but who knows what would have happened if this person could not have paid up-front. Insurance was not accepted at the time medical care was provided. She was reimbursed for some of her medical expenses once she turned in her bills to her insurance company back home.
    Everyone should take a small amount of cash, travelers checks, & a credit card whenever you travel outside your homeland. It's too important not to, you just never know what unexpected life experiences you will deal with when traveling abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    You will need to bring $300 cash for your 'deposit'. If you don't use it all, it will be returned to you at the end of your stay.
    Ok, they give the money back to you. But do they give it you in the same form you gave to them. And other words will it a check or hard cold cash and if cash what currency?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldscandy View Post
    ok, they give the money back to you. But do they give it you in the same form you gave to them. And other words will it a check or hard cold cash and if cash what currency?
    great question!!!!
    Jennifer

I'm not sure if it is cash or check. We've always taken a CC for the deposit for the room and then paid cash when we check-out.

I really do suggest you take some type of CC or DC. Everyone is correct in saying that you never know what will happen. A few years ago I was at CN and slipped and sprained my ankle. They weren't sure if I hadn't broke it so I had to get an xray. The only way to get the xray was to pay up front. (We had travel insurance, but they reimburse you, they don't pay up front.) I ended up needing some pain meds and if I hadn't have had my DC with me, then I would have been out of luck. You just never know what is going to happen. Take a CC or DC with you. Better safe than sorry.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

At CN, they scanned our card, but they said they didn't put any amount on it. It was security to them in case we did make purchases in the shops. When we checked out, we only had a $7 charge which we paid in cash. We were told no charge was ever made to the card and therefore no international transaction fee would show up. If I find out something different when we get that credit card statement, I will let you know.