Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Secrets to using the iPhone in Jamaica

I've seen threads referring to the secrets of using the phone without big charges, but I've yet to find the actual secrets. What's the best way to still be able to access the web without the big charges?

Wi-Fi. Turn the rest of the services off.

Use wifi and not your AT&T service

Just returned from CTI, I used my iphone in the WiFi areas, calling home with Skype.....

No secret - use the free wifi at the resort. Otherwise see here for all you need to know:
    http://http://www.wireless.att.com/l...ravel-tips.jsp

I just called AT&T about this yesterday. If you just want to be able to get on the web at the resort, you can get online for free as long as you are using Wifi. You need to turn off data roaming under settings. Mine was default to off. For phone calls, you will pay $1.99 per minute if you don't make any changes. If you buy AT&T's international plan for $5.99 per month, your calls will be $1.69. Texts are $0.50 for regular and $1.30 for multimedia texts without signing up for anything, or you can buy their $10 plan that would get you 50 regular or multimedia texts.

I use the Andriod platform but it's the same concept. Connect through wifi only. On android there is an app called airplane mode with wifi or something that lets you go to airplane mode to save battery but still use wifi.

Turn off data roaming before you even hit the ground at MBJ and do not turn it back on til you are home. Digicel is a huge rip off.

Use wifi for email access.

We use Skype Mobile to call home for just cents a minute.

Wifi

Go to Settings, General, Network and turn off Data Roaming before you leave home. This is what we do and it basically turns my Iphone into just a cell phone. With International calling enabled we then use it to keep in touch with our kids at home without worrying about the phone running up any data charges while we are in Jamaica.
    Have fun!
    Roy

I had the same question as you. Check out this thread: http://couplesjamaica.biz/mb/showthread.php?t=6707

People have described in detail how they've done it.

I don't know the answer but I would be interested in a replies from Brits as I have an iphone.

Step 1 - Setup a Skype Account and Download the App
    Step 2 - Put $10.00 or some amount of credit on Skype Credit
    Step 3 - Turn on airplane mode
    Step 4 - Turn on Wifi.

Now when your in Jamaica in an area with WIFI you can call using skype internet calling. It's 2.4 cents per minute to US numbers and free to Toll Free Numbers and other people on Skype.

Here's the link to all rates.
    http://myspace.skype.com/prices/callrates/

Put your phone in Airplane mode and use wifi.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Skype for the iPhone or iPod Touch. Works great on WiFi at CSA. Made 4 calls back home to Canada, (they were not Skype to Skype, which would have been free), total cost was .47 cents.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

Haven't been there YET, but I'm guessing WiFi?

You should be able to access the free wifi with your iphone at the resort just as you do at home. That will provide your internet. With the internet phone options available now (Google Phone, Skype, etc.,) you should also be able to call home for free using one of those apps.

K & M
    Returning to CSA in Oct. '11

Here are the tips from the AT&T Website. You can access wifi in some rooms (we had it from our Beachfront Veranda Suite) and in the lobby areas:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF": By default, the setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.
    To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming
    – Turning "OFF" data roaming blocks email, browsing, visual voicemail and downloads, but it will not block text or picture/video messages.
    – When abroad, international roaming rates apply when you send text or picture/video messages.
    – To access audible voicemail when data roaming is “OFF”, tap on Phone>Voicemail. International roaming voice rates apply.
    Utilize Wi-Fi instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the Web or check email.
    Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”: Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.
    To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, Change Push to “OFF” and select option Fetch Manually

Wow! Thanks for all of the fantastic info! Will I need a code to use the wifi at the resort?

I don't recall having to use a code. It just magically appeared on my phone! But it's been a year and a half since we were at CSA so this might have changed,

Groovy.

You have to ask for a code at the front desk. They'll give you a slip of paper (coupon) with a login in name and password. Should be good for 7 days.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

Default Pandora?

I have the droid platform on the Sprint Network.... Will Pandora (music app) work under the Wifi set up so that we can have music in the room?

1st trip to Jamaica and CSA 18 in DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can't wait!

Default Using Skype to make a WIFI phone call

Ok,
    So I downloaded the Iphone Skype App, and made a test call by turning off the internet access on my Iphone and only using a WIFI connection. The test call worked perfectly. Now I know I will be able to call home to check on the kids.

My question is, when I use Skype to call someone, will they get billed for some $2.00 per minute international call?...Or is it a free phone call to both parties!

Thanks in advance for your answers!
    Mike&Sue
    CSS 6/22-6/30

Quote Originally Posted by Loveload View Post
    I have the droid platform on the Sprint Network.... Will Pandora (music app) work under the Wifi set up so that we can have music in the room?
    Pandora will not work in Jamaica unfortunately. At least it didn't last July. This what the Pandora app looks like when run from Jamaica.

I was really looking forward to listening to my Reggae station in our room last year.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast