Default Scuba Diving @ CSA

My husband and I would love to scuba dive everyday while at CSA, but we aren’t certified…does this make a difference? I know we have to take the swimming course, but would we have to take it each day to be able to dive each day? Would it be better to take scuba classes while at home before our trip? I have always wanted to dive and would love to mark it off my bucket list (even though I am only 33). If any of you can help me with this, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Erin & Patrick

You need to be certified to dive everyday. Why don't you plan on getting certified while you are there? I did on our July 2008trip and I was 56 at the time. On our last trip in April 2010, Ken and I made 10 dives and two dolphins came up and swam with us on our last dive. We were thrilled and we are both still talking about it! I did the coursework online before we went and was ready for the pool work when we got there. It didn't take very long and now I am certified for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle Ann View Post
    You need to be certified to dive everyday. Why don't you plan on getting certified while you are there? I did on our July 2008trip and I was 56 at the time. On our last trip in April 2010, Ken and I made 10 dives and two dolphins came up and swam with us on our last dive. We were thrilled and we are both still talking about it! I did the coursework online before we went and was ready for the pool work when we got there. It didn't take very long and now I am certified for life.
    Wow, I guess I didn't realize we could do the coursework online...I will definitely check this out. I would rather do it that way, because our scuba shop charges a lot for their course. This sounds like an amazing idea. Thanks for replying back. :-)
    Erin & Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle Ann View Post
    Did you get PADI certified? How much was it? I found the Medical statement on Couples website, but haven’t found anything regarding the online coursework, where would I find this? I’m sorry I am full of questions, I just want to make sure we have everything we need so we can dive. Our trip isn’t until next April, but it will be here before we know it. We are so excited!
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Erin & Patrick

Gayle, I noticed that we are "neighbors", my husband and I live in La Vista, NE. How neat is that!
    Erin & Patrick

Do your class work online at https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba...g_static_bannr then finich at Couples

Quote Originally Posted by jaj111 View Post
    Do your class work online at https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba...g_static_bannr then finich at Couples
    Thanks for the link!
    Erin & Patrick

Hello Suttonjamaica,
    Wow! Small world! You are going to LOVE Jamaica and especially CSA! We are getting ready to book our 5th trip for April 2011.
    I took the coursework for scuba online and the cost was $120. You can go to the PADI website or on the main page here on the left toward the bottom you can find a place with the info. It cost me another $265 at the resort to finish. It was so worth it! We went to Wilmington, NC, last August and dove the wrecks and we are returning there next week to dive again (also visit family). It was so nice getting certified in Jamaica. Anthony Morris was the instructor and he made it so much fun and so easy. Shaggy, Franz and Glenroy are also divemasters and they are wonderful too.

Default resort cert

You do not need to get certified before you go. You can get a resort certification, class in the morning and dive in the afternoon, this is included in your stay and then if you want to go on other dives it costs $50 each dive. I just resort certified at CTI went on 2 dives. Enjoy your trip, it is the BEST!

Great idea to do the prep work online. If I do that, how much does it cost at CSA to receive my PADI certification and does it only take the 1 day to do all my dives? Thanks!

It cost $120 to do the coursework online before you go. You are then ready for pool work. The first day you will watch a video and then learn/practice skills in pool by the Palms. We went out on the boat that afternoon to practice those skills in open water. Same again the second day. It really won't take up much of your vacation and you will be so proud of yourself after you get home that you did it! Make sure you get an uderwater camera to take pictures for your home and office.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzygirl View Post
    Great idea to do the prep work online. If I do that, how much does it cost at CSA to receive my PADI certification and does it only take the 1 day to do all my dives? Thanks!
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. What is the complete total to become PADI certified?

Thanks!
    Erin & Patrick

It's $250 per person to get PADI certification at CSA.

Oh and you can take the course work at CSA for free without paying the $120 online. If you do it that way, this is how it works:
    You can get "resort certified" and go on your dive for free. First you have to be able to swim 8 laps in the pool. If not, you cannot go on, however, it's not that hard. Then you go in a mini instruction course. You watch the DVD in the dive room, then go to the pool and they show you how to use the equipment. Next they take you on a dive.
    After the dive, they will ask you if you want to become certified. If so, you will pay the $250 per person and THE NEXT DAY they will take you through another mini instruction course in the pool and then out on another dive. Presto, you're PADI certified forever!
    It's a 2 day process but you don't have to do the internet work...

Quote Originally Posted by aprila220 View Post
    Oh and you can take the course work at CSA for free without paying the $120 online. If you do it that way, this is how it works:
    You can get "resort certified" and go on your dive for free. First you have to be able to swim 8 laps in the pool. If not, you cannot go on, however, it's not that hard. Then you go in a mini instruction course. You watch the DVD in the dive room, then go to the pool and they show you how to use the equipment. Next they take you on a dive.
    After the dive, they will ask you if you want to become certified. If so, you will pay the $250 per person and THE NEXT DAY they will take you through another mini instruction course in the pool and then out on another dive. Presto, you're PADI certified forever!
    Thanks for letting me know exactly what goes on. I am so excited about our trip, but becoming PADI certified is going to be a huge plus. Thanks for all the info!
    Erin & Patrick

Thanks for posting this info April!!!!

peace & LOVE
    Jamie and Craig

I believe there will be some coursework involved. I did mine online before going, but the year before I got certified two members of our group got certified and I remember seeing them reading a manual and answering questions while sitting near the pool. There are quizzes after each section for the online coursework. You don't want to neglect doing this because there is a lot of information that you will need. When you are 60 - 80feet below the surface of the water, it is too late to get the information.

Suttonjamaica,

Are you still going in April? We are booked for April 23-30, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by aprila220 View Post
    This is not entirely correct! You'll have to do four dives AND the paperwork with quizzes to be Padi certified. You should get as much instruction as you can and as Gayle Ann said if you get in a panic situation underwater, it will be too late! Do the course work on line- no studying when you get there- just your pratical ocean dives.

ok just so i got this correct.... At home we have a place that offers online classes and pool work for 50$ and you go and do your dives on vacation. I was wondering if this is the way to go? do you still need to pay 250.00 just to do your dives without class work?

just want to keep this up on the message board. still looking for an answer if anyone knows!

We considered doing ours this way years ago but at a different resort, the price was not the same as the full course so while I can't answer for Couples specifically I'd have to say it would be cheaper. But, I will tell you the "dives" you are referring to are specific skill dives not really just for fun and enjoyment. We opted to finish our entire certification at home so we didn't have to mess with that on vacation. In theory it sounds more fun to finish it off in the Caribbean but honestly it is more fun to have it all done and just go diving. To each his own I guess in the end but that was our decision.

vbos, It sounds to me like the $50 course your local shop offers is probably a "Discover Scuba" course. If that is the case, all it will be is a short class so you can try it out. To get Open Water Certified, you can do the coursework online for $120 and be ready for pool work and your open water dives when you get to the resort. You will still have to pay $250 so the total cost is $370. You could also opt to do the whole thing at the resort for $250. You will then be required to do your coursework and quiz taking at the resort along with pool work and open water dives. You could also get your certification at home before you go. I opted for doing the online course at my leisure before we went. It did cost a little more but I didn't have to spend precious vacation time with coursework.

gayle ann,
    it is all the online coarse work and the pool work. you take the test and all you need to do is the open water dives. You do still have to pay 250 if you have all the coarse work and pool work done? its not a discover scuba coarse.

vbos--after course work and pool skills there are still two days worth of diving skills tests that have to be completed to finish your certification and this is what you would be paying for if you do it at the resort...these dives would not be part of the free diving the resort offers as they are going to be skills activities and will require a dive instructor to check you off and complete your certification. It sounds like fun to be doing it in the Caribbean, and certainly it's probably more fun than any location most people are doing it at home. But just making sure you realize what you are going to be doing, you aren't just going for a sight seeing dive, it's diving with a purpose and you will have skills to master/demonstrate. Just something to be aware of so you are disappointed. We thought about doing our certification as you are wanting to...course work and pool skills at home and certification dives at the resort. Ultimately we decided to complete the certification at home and take advantage of "real" diving (for lack of a better term) once we were on vacation, spend our time enjoying the sights rather than completing our certification. Everyone has their own preferences so do what appeals most to you but I'd choose that same thing again.