Thread: Cigars

Default Cigars

I saw on a few posts that smoking is ok outside. Any suggestions for buying cigars? My husband was thinking of stocking up at airport. Any shops in downtown Negril? We will never buy them on the beach again after buying fake ones in Cancun on beach! 4 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!

Do not know what resort you are going to either CSA or negril since you mentioned negril. I can speak for CSA as there is a cigar stand to the left heading to margarita ville and the smokes there are resonable and are real, I am assuming you are looking for cubans. There is also a cigar shop in negril itself the name escapes me but I believe a little higher priced plus you have to figure in the transportation cost to really get a true difference in price. The resort also has some. As well as the CIGGGARRREREETSTS dude on da beach

At CSA at least twice a week, a cigar vendor was outside the Palms at dinnertime. They were real cubans; very good and reasonably priced. They also sell them in the gift shop but are pricey. Enjoy your trip. We are back to CSA in January!

If you enjoy smoking a cigar while on vacation i strongly recommend you purchase at home and pack your faves. JA is NOT noted for its cigars. there are a few places in the west end and along the beach but there are no bargains.
    Better to be safe and enjoy your fav stick then spend 12 bux on a dry stick that u cant enjoy life is too short to NOT enjoy a good cigar

Quote Originally Posted by njmeg View Post
    . . . . We will never buy [cigars] on the beach again after buying fake ones in Cancun . . . .
    What kind of a fake cigar did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by njmeg View Post
    . . . . Any suggestions for buying cigars? My husband was thinking of stocking up at airport. . . . .
    Just make sure you don't buy any Cuban cigars. It's illegal for Americans to purchase products grown or manufactured in or transported through Cuba. If you try to bring them into the country, they will be confiscated, and although it's rare, you could be subjected to prosecution.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Agree

Bring a few from home

Thanks everybody!!!!

My husband buys cigars right at the resort. A couple of nights a week there is a vendor set up by the pool. He loves them and he says they are cuban. Prices are reasonable. You can buy one or as many as you like. They get charged to your room.
    Margene

My husband and I both love to smoke cigars. There is a vendor that comes to CN a couple times a week and while they aren't super cheap, if you have the $500 room credit you can pay for it that way. We usually get the Cuban's...Monte Cristo's and they are fabulous. Usually about $15 a piece but not any less than if you bought them at the airport. There is a little tourist mall in Negril and a Cigar shop there...he's very nice as well. Try a Jamaican cigar too...we have Blue Mountain rum dipped ones and they are great!! We also have the e-mail of the guy who sells at CTI and I believe it's his cousin that goes to Negril. Very reasonable. Just let me know if you want it.

They have them in the small store by the pool at CN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    What kind of a fake cigar did you buy?

Just make sure you don't buy any Cuban cigars. It's illegal for Americans to purchase products grown or manufactured in or transported through Cuba. If you try to bring them into the country, they will be confiscated, and although it's rare, you could be subjected to prosecution.
    It's not illegal to buy them and smoke them on the resort! And once they are out of the box and no labels on them and you have a nice receipt saying hand rolled Jamaicans...customs doesn't know the difference and I doubt they really care.

We brought our favorite cigars with us. It saved money.

Quote Originally Posted by hillystyles View Post
    It's not illegal to buy them and smoke them on the resort! And once they are out of the box and no labels on them and you have a nice receipt saying hand rolled Jamaicans...customs doesn't know the difference and I doubt they really care.
    Actually, it is illegal. Under the Trading with the Enemy Act, 50 U.S.C.S. Appx § 1, et seq., it is illegal for Americans, no matter where they are, to do something that benefits an enemy country. This includes purchasing goods grown, manufactured, or transported through such a country, as the purchase benefits the enemy economically. A lot of people choose to ignore this law or aren't even aware of it, but there was a couple that recently reported being detained in U.S. Customs because they had cigars and did not have a receipt to prove that they weren't Cubans. While they ultimately were not arrested, they were threatened with arrest and prosecution; that's not how I would want to end my vacation.

It's none of my business if you choose to knowingly disregard this law, but I think it's inappropriate to tell people that something is not illegal when it, in fact, is illegal.
    Last edited by Pamela; June 21st, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Where do y'all buy your cigars before you come to Couples? I've seen them at Spec's. Would that be a good source? Thanks! :dunno:

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    Where do y'all buy your cigars before you come to Couples? I've seen them at Spec's. Would that be a good source? Thanks! :dunno:
    Where are you located? Any good local tobacco store should have plenty of premium cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzygirl View Post
    At CSA at least twice a week, a cigar vendor was outside the Palms at dinnertime. They were real cubans; very good and reasonably priced. They also sell them in the gift shop but are pricey. Enjoy your trip. We are back to CSA in January!
    Jazzygirl I agree they are real Cubans. We are going back in January 2011 also. What week are you going to be there? We will be there 1/22-1/29

Newtocsa we'll be there the same week as you. Maybe we can meet for dinner and a nice smoke after.

I enjoy a cigar once in awhile, especially on the beach, with a drink. According to all cigar afficianados that I have met, I have no apparent taste in cigars, because I didn't care for the Cubans, but I did like the small Jamaican Pirates. Apparently taste is subjective and personal! Who knew! *grin*

Actually the cuban cigars are no big deal and certainly aren't superior to a good dominican or nicaraguan cigar. It's the forbidden fruit syndrome.

Odds are very high that you'll get fakes in JA, especially if you aren't familiar how to spot them. One tip, never buy a Cohiba from a glass top box.

ORV..we are in Houston, Tejas area. I think I'll check out Spec's. We do have some cigar places by us, just not sure where to go. I guess just jump in feet first & go for it! Thanks