Thread: Rough Water?

Default Rough Water?

We have already been to CSA and loved it. We want to try some other Couples resorts, but are concerned about the Ocho Rios side of Jamaica. We have heard it has rough waters and you can't do the water sports. Can anyone help me? Are the waters really that rough???

Normally not. If there is stormy weather then maybe. We had stormy weather the time we stayed at CN and went body surfing, so it all depends on what weather you get.

I see that lots of people are looking at the thread, but not responding I just need a little help. I want to be able to snorkel at CSS or CTI. Is this possible? or are the waves to rough to do it?

It depends on the weather. If it is stormy they will close watersports in both the Negril resorts and the Ocho Rios locations. You just have to have good weather and the seas have to be calm

We have not had those issues when we have visited CTI in July.
    Vicky

When we were at CTI in November, the water was only rough when the weather was uncooperative, about 1 1/2 days. Otherwise it was perfect, and people were snorkeling, sailing, scuba diving, etc all day.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

You will e able to snorkle at both CSS and CTI Normally the water is not rough at all

Waters were very calm while there in October a couple years back at CTI. I didn't snorkel myself but friends did so around Tower Island and said it was pretty good. Hope this helps.

at CSS in April, we had choppy waters and there were no watersports the entire time- the snorkeling, windsurfing, etc was all cancelled.

I think it's just the luck of the draw though. We had friends who got there earlier in the week than us who did get to go snorkeling, etc.

The chances of watersports being cancelled is far greater on the north coast than in Negril. The water and waves are generally more gentle in Negril than anywhere on the north coast. However even on the north coast watersports are not cancelled that often. I always tell people that if you want to be sure to get your watersports in on a given day you should plan to do them as early in the day as you can. When there is snorkeling or diving at 9am or 2pm... I always go with the earlier one unless I am in Negril. As the day goes on the wind and water often become more of an issue on the north coast. Morning is safer from cancellation, but even on the north coast it's not like a week in Cancun with a Red Flag out 24/7for a week.
    Have fun!
    Roy

It depends on the time of year. We go to Couples the first week of December, and we have seen some pretty windy days on the Ocho side. Things at Negril seem to be much more calm at that time of year.

We'e been to both CSS and CTI and have not had any issues with rough water and not being able to do water sports activities

We were at Tower Isle for a week in Sept. and are returning this Sept.(!) I snorkled off the Island every single day, and the water was never very rough at all. We did not see any storms that week either. The snorkling BTW, was awesome!

We stayed at CTI from June 1 - June 8, 2010 and only had green flag days. Haven't experienced the Negril side of Jamaica, however the water at CTI was great for all of the watersports.