Thread: Tim Air

Hybrid View

Default Tim Air

We took TimAir to the hotel instead of riding on the long bus ride. The flight was only 15 minutes from Montego Bay to Negril. Undecided if we would use that service again due to the cost ($106 per person each way) and leaving the security of Couples was not a comfortable situation. I didn't feel safe when they had us walk through a building to get into the taxi. There were people inside the building who where clearly on some sort of heavy drug. They offered my husband pot as we walked by.
    On the way back we had to go through the same building and again we saw a man and a women very strung out on heavy drugs. I'm not sure why Tim Air has you walk through this building or why they let these people hang out there. I doubt we will use them again because of it.

We took TimAir in January. Are you referring to the Terminal Building for the domestic flights in Montego Bay or Negril? Yes, the very small terminal building in Negril had a few colorful locals waiting outside to sell us jewelry and other "stuff." Maybe because I travel for a living and I think I've seen everything, but it in no way made me feel "uncomfortable." But if you do want the completely sanitized version of Jamaica, then, yes, you should take the shuttle and not get off the shuttle bus if they take a break, because you might encounter the same type of "strung out" people there.

That's the "terminal" building at Negril!! When waiting for the TimAir plane you can sit on the patio and buy cold Red Stripe from their cooler. They are just trying to make a buck. If you don't want anything just say no thanks and keep walking. They are harmless.

We're using them for the trip back to MBJ. Did you have any issues with Couples getting your departure schedule correct? Do you have to arrange your own transportation to the Negril airstrip?

Quote Originally Posted by Merzescorner View Post
    We're using them for the trip back to MBJ. Did you have any issues with Couples getting your departure schedule correct? Do you have to arrange your own transportation to the Negril airstrip?
    We stay at CN every year and always fly TimAir. Without exception, CN has gotten our departure time wrong every year. In March, the front desk staff completely ignored that we were flying on TimAir and had us scheduled for departure five hours before our flight was scheduled to depart from MoBay.

In September, I'm going to fill out that portion of the form myself. You need to depart from CN 15 minutes before your TimAir flight is scheduled to leave. CN will arrange for someone to drive you to the airstrip, but it is literally right across the street from the resort. You could walk there if you had to.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I just had to respond after reading the first post.
    We've flown Tim Air from Negril to Sangster 3 times. The most recent was this past April. In 8 trips to Jamaica and countless excursions leaving the "security' of Couples behind, my wife and I have never had an issue or problem. That was a total of 52 days in Jamaica for our trips and we will hopefully have many more to come (CN 4/11). We saw some locals vendors trying to make a buck near the terminal just as we have seen many others throughout this impoverished country and they were in no way threatening. I've worked in every neighborhood in Chicago over the last 30 years and believe me, I feel much safer in Jamaica. One of the main reasons we love Jamaica is for the people. They are proud, religious and hard working. I guess that if people spend their lives removed from any exposure to people less fortunate who never really had a chance in life, people that are forced to do whatever it takes to feed their kids, then this would truly be culture shock. To my wife and I, it's a reminder of how fortunate we were to grow up where we did, get a good education and career which provided us the opportunity to visit a place like Jamaica. Never forget one thing, that person you see "hanging out" could have easily been you or I had we been born under the same conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Merzescorner View Post
    Do you have to arrange your own transportation to the Negril airstrip?

No. Couples should arrange the transfer for you (assuming you advise them that you are taking Timair on the return).

We had a fabulous experience with TimAir. Curtis was our pilot. He was alot of fun, joking and pointing out landmarks. When we landed in Negril there were some locals waiting to sell trinkets. We had a beer and said "no thank you" to the pot. But we get asked if we want some "smoke" on the shopping trips also. No big deal we say no and the person moves on.

Couples will come pick you up or you can walk across the street to CN. We took a ride from a guy that offered one to us. We gave him a tip for the quick ride across the street. Jamaicans are really the friendliest people.

I didn't have a problem with the locals “hanging out” trying to make a buck. I understand it’s a poor country and they are trying to feed their families, but these people weren’t doing that. They were on heavy drugs and to me if you are going to spend your money on that then you aren’t trying to feed your family, you are feeding your addiction.

Maybe we just had a bad experience. I’m not telling anyone not to take Timair, but be prepared you might see this.

This may be a really stupid question, but...
    We are thinking of taking TimAir back to Sangster because our flight leaves at some unGodly time, like 8am. Do you have to tip your pilot like you do the bus driver?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnlis View Post
    This may be a really stupid question, but...
    We are thinking of taking TimAir back to Sangster because our flight leaves at some unGodly time, like 8am. Do you have to tip your pilot like you do the bus driver?
    If you're asking is it customary to tip the TimAir pilot, the answer is yes. They are really more akin to taxi drivers than airline pilots.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

We do tip the pilot but that is a personal decision.

Jonnlis - you don't HAVE to tip the pilot, but, as Curtis told us in January, "you don't have to tip me if we don't make it there." We were happy to give him $20 for the two of us. He did an excellent job and made us feel comfortable.

We just got home today. We flew Tim Air from Negril to Montego Bay. There was a woman in the Negril waiting area- she was selling water and red stripe. A simple no thank you was all it took. I felt safe.
    When we arrived to Couples CSA we wrote on our flight info check in form- exactly what time our Tim Air flight was and what time we needed to be at the Negril Airstrip. We had no problem- they arranged for a taxi at 1130- this was paid for by couples- but of course we tipped the driver. we were due to Tim Air at 1145 and our flight was at 1200. No Problems. All was well planned out.

Yes, tip the pilot. We tip $20.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Use Tim Air they are wonderful, and its a great experience.
    Yes, we tipped.
    No problems mon in Jamaica, with the people or Tim Air!!!

Default MoBay to Ochi

I just got a quote from TimAir for a flight to Ochos Rios from MoBay. It was 450.00 for 2 One Way & over 900.00 roundtrip. Is the Negril trip that much closer that its ony 230.00 or so to Negril for 2 passengers.
    Thank You